MICROS~1 acquisition in AT&T like Standard Oil buying gas stations says Scott McNealy, News.com

MICROS~1 acquisition in AT&T like Standard Oil buying gas stations says Scott McNealy, News.com

Post by Daero » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 22:37:29

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-227037.html
McNealy critical of Microsoft investments
Tim Clark,  June 13, 1999

Scott McNealy, chief executive of Sun Microsystems, says the government
should force Microsoft to divest itself of recent investments, including
its recent $5 billion stake in AT&T.

"The way I put it is: Chapter 58 in most antitrust textbooks is
'Bundling the Browser With Your Operating System.' Chapter 1 is 'Buying
Your Distribution Channel,'" McNealy said in an interview with Newsweek
magazine to be published tomorrow. "It's like Standard Oil buying gas
stations."
---

McNealy hopes Microsoft will be to revise its pricing practices, end
exclusive contracts, and publish APIs or application programming
interfaces, the rules of how to write programs for Windows. That would
make it easier for Sun or others to work with computers that run
Microsoft's Windows operating system.

"I have yet to see a customer who is disappointed when there's
interoperability between two different pieces of technology," McNealy
said. "I've yet to hear them say, 'Oh darn, I plugged it in and it
worked. I hate that.'"
-------

1. See Scott McNealy

Hear Sun's latest strategies to reduce cost and complexity for
customers and partners. Join Sun Chief Researcher John Gage as he
interviews Scott McNealy and other Sun executives and technologists.
Participate in live chat with Sun EVPs. April 8, 2003 - 10:00 am PDT.

For more information and to sign up for an email reminder, visit:
http://www.sun.com/bignews19/index.html?ssobm=bn19f

2. Kernel 2.2.x and MacGate

3. Scott McNealy on CNBC: Clearly disappointed with settlement!

4. HELP: March95 InfoMagic problems

5. From c.o.vms: Business Week: Scott McNealy as Custer in CEO's Last Stand

6. Begginner: how to debug cc ed g++ programs?

7. Webcasts w/ Scott McNealy: Entry Servers; LinuxWorld Keynote

8. Mail Routing

9. Scott McNealy and Linux..

10. Scott Mcnealy - You are an a*s

11. Scott McNealy's email address

12. Where's Scott McNealy's long promised 600Mhz SPARC processor?

13. Scott McNealy calls for a National ID card