I noticed something strange here..

I noticed something strange here..

Post by AMD_Duall » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:02:44



Also adds credibility if you use a spell checker ;-)

Regards,

AMD_Dually

Quote:> Trolls who post from MS tend to use vulgar language in the extreem.

> How Rude and uncivilized. If you must post please post in a civilized
manner
>   vulgaraty only shows ignorance and that you do not have the nessary
> volcabulary to clearly communicate your ideas and concepts to others.

> Clear communications is much more productive without the colorfull
> metaphores that do not serve anyone but to inflame emotions.

> Everyone has preferences for anything and those preferences can change
given
> certian facts. Causing someone anger will never change there mind, it only
> makes them harder to alter their preferences. Civility will get you
farther
> than anything else in life.

> I do prefer linux and *nix platforms but that does not prevent me from
> looking at things from diffrent perspectives. Intellegence rules not
> ignorance. Think before you speak and use facts not FUD. This applies to
> both sides. Emotions mean nothing next to facts. When posting only use
facts
> or concepts that do not invoke emotional reactions. This will make
> discussions in the newsgroups more productive in advancing knowlege and
> technology, no matter what the platform. If the Linux or Windows community
> is civilized in discussion You will find that life does get better even
> though we do not agree.

> Cheers everyone,
> --

> Max W. Blackmer, Jr a.k.a. Daemon Watcher
> The only sovereign I can allow to rule me is reason.
> - Quote from Faith of the Fallen by Terry Goodkind

 
 
 

I noticed something strange here..

Post by Daemon Watche » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:08:41



> Also adds credibility if you use a spell checker ;-)

[Snip]

True :D I forgot that step... but everyone is not perfect. That includes
me... <chuckle>
--

Max W. Blackmer, Jr a.k.a. Daemon Watcher
The only sovereign I can allow to rule me is reason.
- Quote from Faith of the Fallen by Terry Goodkind

 
 
 

I noticed something strange here..

Post by Daemon Watche » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:01:03


Trolls who post from MS tend to use vulgar language in the extreem.

How Rude and uncivilized. If you must post please post in a civilized manner
  vulgaraty only shows ignorance and that you do not have the nessary
volcabulary to clearly communicate your ideas and concepts to others.

Clear communications is much more productive without the colorfull
metaphores that do not serve anyone but to inflame emotions.

Everyone has preferences for anything and those preferences can change given
certian facts. Causing someone anger will never change there mind, it only
makes them harder to alter their preferences. Civility will get you farther
than anything else in life.

I do prefer linux and *nix platforms but that does not prevent me from
looking at things from diffrent perspectives. Intellegence rules not
ignorance. Think before you speak and use facts not FUD. This applies to
both sides. Emotions mean nothing next to facts. When posting only use facts
or concepts that do not invoke emotional reactions. This will make
discussions in the newsgroups more productive in advancing knowlege and
technology, no matter what the platform. If the Linux or Windows community
is civilized in discussion You will find that life does get better even
though we do not agree.

Cheers everyone,
--

Max W. Blackmer, Jr a.k.a. Daemon Watcher
The only sovereign I can allow to rule me is reason.
- Quote from Faith of the Fallen by Terry Goodkind

 
 
 

I noticed something strange here..

Post by mjt » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:57:59



> Trolls who post from MS tend to use vulgar language in the extreem.

> How Rude and uncivilized.

... so is crossposting into newgroups that are of no concern

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  #    Black holes result
 skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     #   when God divides the  
 "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed"              #     universe by zero

 
 
 

I noticed something strange here..

Post by Stephen Edward » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 01:30:06



> Trolls who post from MS tend to use vulgar language in the extreem.

> How Rude and uncivilized. If you must post please post in a civilized manner
>   vulgaraty only shows ignorance and that you do not have the nessary
> volcabulary to clearly communicate your ideas and concepts to others.

I agree. These stupid mother*ers who constantly *ing swear
and use shitheaded terms like "*" need to have the *ing
shit kicked out of them. Foul language is just *ing stupid.
--
if (strcmp(Microsoft, "alive") == 0) && (strcmp(you, "PC monkey") == 0) {
strcopy(username, "01100001 01101110 01100001 01101101"); // Decode binary
strcat(username, " 01101111 01110010 01110000 01101000"); // to contact me.
Quote:} // % set HOST="extremezone.com"; cat whining | apathy > /dev/null; logout

 
 
 

I noticed something strange here..

Post by adam » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 02:08:17



> Trolls who post from MS tend to use vulgar language in the extreem.

> How Rude and uncivilized. If you must post please post in a civilized
> manner
>   vulgaraty only shows ignorance and that you do not have the nessary
> volcabulary to clearly communicate your ideas and concepts to others.

> Clear communications is much more productive without the colorfull
> metaphores that do not serve anyone but to inflame emotions.

> Everyone has preferences for anything and those preferences can change
> given certian facts. Causing someone anger will never change there mind,
> it only makes them harder to alter their preferences. Civility will get
> you farther than anything else in life.

> I do prefer linux and *nix platforms but that does not prevent me from
> looking at things from diffrent perspectives. Intellegence rules not
> ignorance. Think before you speak and use facts not FUD. This applies to
> both sides. Emotions mean nothing next to facts. When posting only use
> facts or concepts that do not invoke emotional reactions. This will make
> discussions in the newsgroups more productive in advancing knowlege and
> technology, no matter what the platform. If the Linux or Windows community
> is civilized in discussion You will find that life does get better even
> though we do not agree.

> Cheers everyone,

i disagree. some people use 'colorful' language to get a point across... and
they can be funny doing so too.
 
 
 

I noticed something strange here..

Post by mjt » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 02:50:22



> strcopy

.... strcpy ...   (couldnt resist)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  #    Black holes result
 skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     #   when God divides the  
 "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed"              #     universe by zero

 
 
 

I noticed something strange here..

Post by The Ghost In The Machin » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 22:00:05


In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Daemon Watcher

 wrote
on Mon, 09 Sep 2002 21:01:03 GMT

Quote:> Trolls who post from MS tend to use vulgar language in the extreem.

Additional vocabulary is an add-on option costing extra. :-)

Quote:

> How Rude and uncivilized. If you must post please post in
> a civilized manner vulgaraty only shows ignorance and that
> you do not have the nessary volcabulary to clearly communicate
> your ideas and concepts to others.

> Clear communications is much more productive without the colorfull
> metaphores that do not serve anyone but to inflame emotions.

> Everyone has preferences for anything and those preferences
> can change given certian facts. Causing someone anger will
> never change there mind, it only makes them harder to alter
> their preferences. Civility will get you farther than anything
> else in life.

Or, "one can attract more flies with a teaspoon of honey than
with a jugful of vinegar".

To be sure, facts are a bit squirrely here.  Windows can be
faster than Linux, as proven by the Mindcraft benchmark.
However, the conditions were rather peculiar, and Linux 2.4
should have fixed that spinlock bug.

An instance of Windows can look prettier than an instance
of Linux, depending on various settings.  It would be
ludicrous to claim that Linux is ugly, then show
a desktop based on twm and xterm, for example.  (Personally,
I like twm and xterm on this system, for some reason.)
If someone were to create and upload blocky fonts to
Windows, then claim Windows is ugly -- that would be silly, too.

And, as always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
One of our posters showed a desktop that I'm not sure I could
use for long as the red and blue scream at you -- but it was
colorful and quite pretty, and the script font looked nice.
The desert-with-penguin-carrying-a-very-large-firestick backdrop
was intriguing, too.

One might call that reaction "a nice desktop to view but I
am not sure I'd want to work there". :-)  But hey, as long
as he likes it.

Besides, any system worth its salt should allow for switching
between backdrops.  I don't know if Linux is quite there yet,
but I'll admit I prefer my backdrops on the plain and boring
side. :-)  But not too boring.

Icewm comes close with its theme-switching.

Quote:

> I do prefer linux and *nix platforms but that does not
> prevent me from looking at things from diffrent perspectives.
> Intellegence rules not ignorance. Think before you speak and
> use facts not FUD. This applies to both sides. Emotions mean
> nothing next to facts. When posting only use facts or concepts
> that do not invoke emotional reactions. This will make discussions
> in the newsgroups more productive in advancing knowlege and
> technology, no matter what the platform. If the Linux or
> Windows community is civilized in discussion You will find that
> life does get better even though we do not agree.

> Cheers everyone,

I could also add that, if someone wants to criticize an OS or grahics
platform, that specifics help a lot: "Linux sucks" versus
"My version of Mandrake (v8.0) does blah blah blah".

--

It's still legal to go .sigless.

 
 
 

I noticed something strange here..

Post by Ilari Liusvaar » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:02:01


Datagram from The Ghost In The Machine incoming on netlink socket

Quote:

> Besides, any system worth its salt should allow for switching
> between backdrops.  I don't know if Linux is quite there yet,
> but I'll admit I prefer my backdrops on the plain and boring
> side. :-)  But not too boring.

Window Maker has this capablity.

Window Maker has themes, which break into three subcategories.
-Style (misleading(?) name for color sceme + fonts used by WM.)
-Icon set (set of icons used)
-Background image (.jpeg image + gradients)

Each of them can be changed seperately too. In fact, I just coocked
up new background image and switched to it without switching anyting else.
I just saved it into correct directory and it just appeared into "appearence"
-> "background" -> "images" menu. Easy.

-Ilari
--
Believe in what they do, not in what they say. -- Ilari Liusvaara
Linux LK_Perkele_IV9 2.4.18 #8 SMP Thu Mar 14 19:42:25 EET 2002 i686 unknown
  8:33pm  up 66 days,  1:03,  5 users,  load average: 1.01, 1.03, 1.00