Top tip

Post by Jimb » Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:47:13

> What, and let the temp get back up to 30C again?
> No thanks.  Keeping it down to 25C this time of year
> is still pretty expensive.  I don't even think the
> system can go that low; the vent temperatures are
> about 15C.

I was wondering what you were on. Then I remembered where you live:)
Damn, I could stand some of that right now.

Top tip

Post by The Ghost In The Machin » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 03:00:36

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare

 wrote
on Wed, 30 Oct 2002 01:24:33 +0000

> On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 01:02:35 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (The Ghost In The Machine

>>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare

>> wrote
>>on Tue, 29 Oct 2002 00:35:24 +0000

>>> I get used to it. Now it's a nice and warm 15C. Like an
>>> oven. I will sleep well tonight.

>>I may like my condo cool -- but 15C = 59F; never mind that 10C
>>= 50F.  I can't get my condo *that* cool.

> Just open the window and turn the heating off.

Not quite that simple in my area, this time of year.  Not that
it's raining or anything (yet), but the outside temperature
might be 10C already, or even 15C, during the day in the fall
(the SF Bay Area does get slightly capricious, temperature-wise).
Because heat rises and I'm on the second floor of a two-story building,
I'm at a disadvantage, if I really wanted a 10C interior temperature
(I prefer about 20C, or 68F, anyway).

Of course since you're in jolly (and rainy?) ole England, you
may have slightly cooler temperatures.

--

It's still legal to go .sigless.

Top tip

Post by The Ghost In The Machin » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:01:41

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare

 wrote
on Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:14:10 +0000

> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 01:00:36 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (The Ghost In The Machine

>>> Just open the window and turn the heating off.

>>Not quite that simple in my area, this time of year.  Not that
>>it's raining or anything (yet), but the outside temperature
>>might be 10C already, or even 15C, during the day in the fall

> So by opening the window, the temperature of your room will
> cool to that temperature.

Nice try.  But there are many factors, not the least of which
is that the walls are also hotter.  Not that the walls are
anything special (they're standard drywall AFAIK) but
they do retain heat.

And then there's the issue of getting the hot air out and
the cool air in.  Ideally I'd open two windows, one on
each side, and a breeze would flow through.

Assuming I even wanted 10C anyway.

Quote:

>>Of course since you're in jolly (and rainy?) ole England, you
>>may have slightly cooler temperatures.

> It's about 10C outside.

So sleep outside for awhile. :-)

--