MS shills allowed to pay for Win 98 beta

MS shills allowed to pay for Win 98 beta

Post by Brian Knott » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,17907,00.html

Note the following excerpts:

  ----------

The beta purchase program is only available to home users who
receive an email invitation from the company to order. The users
will not be asked to provide feedback, according to a FAQ page.

Microsoft chose people who posted in Usenet groups and who have
                ^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
downloaded other Microsoft software, Holden said.

  ----------

I find the latter especially fascinating. Now there's a good way
to select quasi-beta testers...

Does this explain the presence of disruptive MS advocates in
non-MS os/sys groups?

Are they FUDing so they will be allowed to buy beta MS software?

Post by Eric Re » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Microsoft chose people who posted in Usenet groups and who have
>                 ^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
> downloaded other Microsoft software, Holden said.

>   ----------

> I find the latter especially fascinating. Now there's a good way
> to select quasi-beta testers...

Actually, it's an outstanding way to pick beta testers.

They didn't say .advocacy groups.  There are a lot of comp.os.ms-windows
groups out there- pick the folks who both seem to know what they are doing
and who bang on software harder than Mom&Pop.

--

Director of Instructional Computing, USC Chemistry
"See, I told you they'd listen to Reason"- Fisheye, _Snow Crash_

:   ----------

: The beta purchase program is only available to home users who
: receive an email invitation from the company to order. The users
: will not be asked to provide feedback, according to a FAQ page.

: Microsoft chose people who posted in Usenet groups and who have
:                 ^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
: downloaded other Microsoft software, Holden said.

:   ----------

: I find the latter especially fascinating. Now there's a good way
: to select quasi-beta testers...

: Does this explain the presence of disruptive MS advocates in
: non-MS os/sys groups?

: Are they FUDing so they will be allowed to buy beta MS software?

Sure.  Just like Innovals idea of paying for the beta of their version 3
mailer.  Or Stardock's three such programs, namely, Object Desktop for OS/2,
Avarice, and Trials of Battle.

Or Opera's Project Magic.

Or how about J3's offer to pay what,  $15 bucks for the Smartsuite beta and
don't forget their offer to sell you fixpacks for money.

Or what about the Hobbes CDROM.

How are any of these different from what Microsoft is doing?  OS/2 has been
a hot bed for such programs for years.  Perhaps MS has finally decided to see
if they can find suckers like the ones in the OS/2 World.

David H. McCoy

MS shills allowed to pay for Win 98 beta

Post by Brian Knott » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

:>: http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,17907,00.html
:>
:>: Note the following excerpts:
:>
:>:   ----------
:>
:>: The beta purchase program is only available to home users who
:>: receive an email invitation from the company to order. The users
:>: will not be asked to provide feedback, according to a FAQ page.
:>
:>: Microsoft chose people who posted in Usenet groups and who have
:>:                 ^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
[...]

The suckers perhaps are the people buying MS release software, which is
ususally of beta quality, for full price.

But seriously, I don't know the details of some of the beta programs above,
but I do know that when IBM did public beta tests, there was a choice of free
FTP distribution, or $15 "cost of
distribution" CD-ROM.

Microsoft is charging $30 and providing support. Plus, they don't want any
feedback from the "testers." Doesn't sound like a legitimate beta program to
me.

BTW, how is charging $30 for beta software at all comparable to Hobbes
charging $15 for their shareware/freeware/GPL CD-ROMS?

And I don't recall *anyone* ever doing an "invitation-only" beta program
based on posts to Usenet. Can you give an example?

MS shills allowed to pay for Win 98 beta

Post by Nathan Hugh » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

On or about Thu, 08 Jan 98 12:05:04, in comp.sys.mac.advocacy "Brian

>:>: http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,17907,00.html
>:>
>:>: Note the following excerpts:
>:>
>:>:   ----------
>:>
>:>: The beta purchase program is only available to home users who
>:>: receive an email invitation from the company to order. The users
>:>: will not be asked to provide feedback, according to a FAQ page.
>:>
>:>: Microsoft chose people who posted in Usenet groups and who have
>:>:                 ^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
>:>: downloaded other Microsoft software, Holden said.

I for one would gladly pay $30 for a beta of Win98.  Ok M$, where's my
invitation?

Nathan A. Hughes
MFA Candidate
The University Theatre KU
www.idir.net/~nhughes
Think Dual PII

This article was posted from <A HREF="http://www.slurp.net/">Slurp Net</A>.

Post by Jason » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>On or about Thu, 08 Jan 98 12:05:04, in comp.sys.mac.advocacy "Brian

>>:>: http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,17907,00.html
>>:>
>>:>: Note the following excerpts:
>>:>
>>:>:   ----------
>>:>
>>:>: The beta purchase program is only available to home users who
>>:>: receive an email invitation from the company to order. The users
>>:>: will not be asked to provide feedback, according to a FAQ page.
>>:>
>>:>: Microsoft chose people who posted in Usenet groups and who have
>>:>:                 ^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
>>:>: downloaded other Microsoft software, Holden said.

>I for one would gladly pay $30 for a beta of Win98.  Ok M$, where's my
>invitation?

I would have thought that you would have been the first poster
Microsoft had called.

Except for one thing - the _dual_ Pentium II.  I don't think
that Windows 98 is going to support that.  Perhaps Microsoft
is looking out for you, Nate.

Post by Tom El » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,17907,00.html

>Note the following excerpts:

>  ----------

>The beta purchase program is only available to home users who
>receive an email invitation from the company to order. The users
>will not be asked to provide feedback, according to a FAQ page.

>Microsoft chose people who posted in Usenet groups and who have
>                ^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
>downloaded other Microsoft software, Holden said.

>  ----------

>I find the latter especially fascinating. Now there's a good way
>to select quasi-beta testers...

>Does this explain the presence of disruptive MS advocates in
>non-MS os/sys groups?

>Are they FUDing so they will be allowed to buy beta MS software?

Kinda like the Apple shills were made to pay $80 each for the OS 8.1 beta,
AKA OS 8.

Tom Elam

The universe is not only stranger than we imagine,
it is stranger than we CAN imagine.

Post by Joe Ragos » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Microsoft is charging $30 and providing support. Plus, they don't want any
> feedback from the "testers." Doesn't sound like a legitimate beta program to
> me.

$30 PLUS shipping in the report I read.

--
Regards,

Joe Ragosta
See the Complete Macintosh Advocacy Page
http://www.dol.net/~Ragosta/complmac.htm

MS shills allowed to pay for Win 98 beta

Post by Joe Ragos » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> >I for one would gladly pay $30 for a beta of Win98.  Ok M$, where's my
> >invitation?

> I would have thought that you would have been the first poster
> Microsoft had called.

> Except for one thing - the _dual_ Pentium II.  I don't think
> that Windows 98 is going to support that.

Sure it will. Of course, it will run at exactly the same speed as a single
Pentium II system, so he can send me the extra CPU.

--
Regards,

Joe Ragosta
See the Complete Macintosh Advocacy Page
http://www.dol.net/~Ragosta/complmac.htm

MS shills allowed to pay for Win 98 beta

Post by Joe Ragos » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,17907,00.html

> Note the following excerpts:

[snip]

You left out my favorite part:

"Selling the beta can also be seen as a way to get Internet Explorer 4.0
into users' hands, an industry analyst pointed out."

Let's see: MSIE can be downloaded for free. Or, you can pay $5 to get it
on a CD with a bunch of extras. But according to this analyst, the best
way to get it out is to ask customers to pay $30 plus shipping for an OS
beta.

Further proof that it doesn't require an IQ above 10 to be an industry analyst.

--
Regards,

Joe Ragosta
See the Complete Macintosh Advocacy Page
http://www.dol.net/~Ragosta/complmac.htm

MS shills allowed to pay for Win 98 beta

Post by Alexander Vi » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hmm... Did I got it right? M$ is harvesting USENET... And promises
to send UBE... I.e. they decided to follow Spamford. Right?
MSN taking place of spambone - yeah, it's fascinating...
                                                Al

Post by Jason » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>Kinda like the Apple shills were made to pay $80 each for the OS 8.1 beta,
>AKA OS 8.

Yeah, but according to George Graves, it hasn't crashed since
July.  Would you pay $80 to keep Windows 95 from crashing
for nearly six months?  Isn't there something called Norton
Crashguard for Windows 95?  How much does it cost?

Post by John Nag » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>On or about Thu, 08 Jan 98 12:05:04, in comp.sys.mac.advocacy "Brian

>>:>: http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,17907,00.html
>>:>: Note the following excerpts:
>>:>: The beta purchase program is only available to home users who
>>:>: receive an email invitation from the company to order. The users
>>:>: will not be asked to provide feedback, according to a FAQ page.
>>:>
>>:>: Microsoft chose people who posted in Usenet groups and who have
>>:>:                 ^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
>>:>: downloaded other Microsoft software, Holden said.

     Yeah, I got an "invitation".  I don't regard an opportunity to
buy something as a big deal.

                                        John Nagle

1. OK MS Paid Shills...Please Raise Your Hand

However, I am getting paid a kinder, gentler Microsoft to tout Linux.

Yes, I know it's hard to believe.

Altruism is not communism. Communism refers to state-controlled industries
in a totalitarian setting.

Linux is an example of old-fashioned American altruism in a cooperative
setting.

Bill Gates said to say hi.

2 + 2

2. XFree86/xvidtune problems - i.e. missing /var/ld/ld.config etc.

3. Peter K?hlmann Paid Microsoft Shill?

4. ATI Mach64 PCI unknown device

5. Paid Microsoft Shills

6. Boycott IT recruiter companies

7. Samba / Win 95 / Win 98 Encryption

8. XF86Config for 3.3 w/ Trident 96xx

9. Redhat 8 Multiboot Boot with Win2k/Win 98 - losing Win

10. dualbooting Linux & Microsoft platforms (Win 98, NT, Win 2000)

11. Win 98 Win NT and Linux triple boot

12. New install of Linux, Win NT and Win 98 on same machine?

13. Visionfs problems with Windows 98 (beta 3)...