Erik F was right there is a virus that works under Linux!

Erik F was right there is a virus that works under Linux!

Post by Terry Port » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 12:40:05

Unfortunately you need Wine and SirCam for it to work, LOL!

From Slashdot:-
http://appdb.codeweavers.com/appview.php?appId=277

The SirCam virus runs properly under WINE, with a few omissions.
It does not properly create registry entries to make itself
launch at boot. Also, it did not e-mail itself out to others, but
that is partly due to not having Outlook installed under WINE
at the time of testing. Thus I am not sure if this part of the
program works correctly or not. What does work correctly is
extracting the embedded document into your temporary folder.

--
Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux.

Erik F was right there is a virus that works under Linux!

Post by Ian Pege » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 17:40:17

Quote:> Unfortunately you need Wine and SirCam for it to work, LOL!

> From Slashdot:-
> http://appdb.codeweavers.com/appview.php?appId=277

> The SirCam virus runs properly under WINE, with a few omissions. It does
> not properly create registry entries to make itself launch at boot.
> Also, it did not e-mail itself out to others, but that is partly due to
> not having Outlook installed under WINE at the time of testing. Thus I
> am not sure if this part of the program works correctly or not. What
> does work correctly is extracting the embedded document into your
> temporary folder.

Those guys at WINE sure did a good job! I'm not sure how far I want my
Windows environment emulated, though. Being able to run Dreamweaver would
send me into floods of ecstasy. (Note to Ed: metaphorically)

Ian

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. problem: SCSI NCR53c810 and ASUS PVI486SP3

3. Mouse Setup

4. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

5. PAS16 + Sony CDU33-A

7. KFM Crashed...

11. I am si**y am I?

12. Shutdown problems...am I doing it right?