Mac/M$ Arguments

Post by EH » Sun, 23 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Ummmmm I thought this was a Linux newsgroup. In any case, you ppl seem
to forget that open systems were around long before either M$ or Apple,
and didn't, and still don't, give a rat's a$$ about either of them.
Linux isn't driven by money. Linux is driven by practical people who are
not served by any existing market. TO a real developer, Windows is
useleaa, as were most other products... So they made their own.....

1. comp.sys.mac.misc comp.sys.mac.system comp.sys.mac.apps

We're looking for input on a decent Mac with ethernet to Unix file transfer
utility.  At present we're using the gatorbox, but the Appletalk speed is
clearly unsuited for our pruposes, that is transferring large sounds files
from the Mac to our Unix servers.  We have some Macs with Ethernet Cards,
and have tried uShare and InterCon's Mac NFS.  A quick summary of these two:

uShare runs on the Sun 4, and fires up some atp daemons that allow the Macs
on Ethernet to mount Unix disks.  However, it seems pretty buggy, prone to
crash and isn't all that easy to configure or use. But it's just one piece
of costly software that runs on the Sun.

Mac NFS lives on the mac, takes a bit of configuring to get running, but once
in place it seems to work.  However, it's over $200/pop, and that could get
pretty pricey, given the number of Mac at our site.

Does anybody have any experience with these products or their competitors?

this is YOUR CHANCE to contribute your wisdom for the good of all.  Your

Rick Kleffel

2. Xfree setup with STB horizon

3. argument parser strips out " in arguments

4. Netgear FA410TX PCMCIA NIC problem

5. script questions - passing argument as argument to another program

6. What is a ModeLine anyway? (setting up X)

7. newbie: (command and its arguments) as a sh script argument

8. what's a good book about linux for small business?

9. Taking arguments from pipe 'plus' one more argument

10. pushd <no arguments> versus cd <no arguments>

11. The argument to end all pro-Linux arguments

12. How do I mount a Mac volume or export a partition to a Mac?

13. MAC OS 9, MAC OS X and linuxppc 2000