Why can't we admit Windows's Strengths

Post by David Alexander Sta » Sun, 19 Feb 1995 15:03:38

Good points!  I can't understand where all the hostility between
Windows/DOS and Linux users comes from.  Personally, I think Linux is a
godsend.  In my master's program, I am required to spend most of my
waking hours programming in the UNIX environment, and having Linux on my
system lets me do most of my work at home, on my system.  But..... there
are several benefits to using DOS/WINDOWS as well.  First and foremost,
my Stealth 32 is supported! (and don't tell me to get some clock setting
program blah blah blah because that is not the magic answer)  The point
is, sometimes it is nice to work in a "brainless" environment where all
of my hardware is supported almost automatically and without any black
magic.  Then again, the feeling of getting my system to work the way I
want under Linux can be almost as satisfying as sex (well......)

I think the greatest thing about Linux is the fact that it runs on a
PC!!  This means I can boot into Linux when I need, or I can boot into
DOS if I need.  I prefer running TeX in the Windows environment, but I
prefer programming in UNIX.  The point is, each operating system has it's
good and bad points.  I figure by running 2.5 operating systems, I get
the best of both worlds.

I think all of the OS bashing is juvenille and serves no purpose except
to show one's ignorance, but then again, I could be wrong...
David Stall              |                             |
ECE Graduate Student     |  Picard and Riker in '96    |
University of Iowa       |  "Make it so"             |

Why can't we admit Windows's Strengths

Post by Mr D.A. Ro » Fri, 24 Feb 1995 22:43:17

[several good points deleted]

: are several benefits to using DOS/WINDOWS as well.  First and foremost,
: my Stealth 32 is supported! (and don't tell me to get some clock setting

That's unusual... my Orchid Farenheit card is *NOT* supported by Windows.
I got a disk FROM ORCHID with the windows drivers on it. It's not the
same thing. Hopefully one day the hardware vendors will wake up and start
supplying Linux device driver disks too, like they do for Windows.

But it's not likely in the near future, IMO.

[more good points deleted]

: I think all of the OS bashing is juvenille and serves no purpose except
: to show one's ignorance, but then again, I could be wrong...
: --

No, you're right.

: ========================================================
: David Stall              |                           |

[rest of .sig deleted]

Duncan
--
Your conscience never stops you from doing anything.  It just stops you
from enjoying it.

1. Why can't we admit Windows' strengths?

I've been happily running Linux since last summer now.  I run X and
SLIP and think the reality of being able to unlimited number of things
at once without thinking about crashes is wonderful.  Windows cannot
deliver this - at least not yet.

But - theres another side to my hard drive!  I still have a live and
healthy DOS/Windows partition that I check into at least once every 2
days or so.  I'll tell you why:
1) Software
I like to mess around with mixing music.  I have seen NO decent wave
editing and mixing program for X/Linux yet.  I've searched sunsite and
not seen anything useful and pretty.  Therefore, I still have to go back
to Windows for this.  Unfortunately, when I do I so my computer is
pretty much off limits to anything else, but thats where windows sucks.
Fact remains though.

2) Interface
I like Motif.  It looks nice and feels nice.  I actually like its pull
down 3D menus better than Windows's.  Problems: 1) They're different in
every damn program!!!!  Half the time I can't hit backspace when I make
a mistake typing in a URL in Netscape! (Don't flame me about fixing my
key tables.. Fact is I SHOULDNT HAVE TO DO STUFF LIKE THIS!)  I know X
runs on many platforms which makes it difficult to have backspace work
everywhere... But it's still a problem. 2) Not all programs use MOTIF!
And the ones that do all seem to be slightly different in their
configuration.
SUMMARY:  X has no standard interface.  True, it's nice being able to
play with system.fvwmrc and tweak my system to be "perfect" but for most
people, THIS IS NOT useful.  I've had to spend hours figuring out what
variable to change to make the border of my windows Blue, and thena
nother hours figuring out what number correstpons to the blue I like.
Yeah, there are programs that list them, but I should be able to pick it
straight from the program!  (Like xfontsel-- same problem!)

I stay in Linux 90% of the time because 90% of my computer time is spent
using Internet and Linux support for internet is 100 times better than
all this Winsock shit.  I can't deal with one Windows app crashing and
making me lose all my connections.  But when I have to write a document,
use my soundblaster, or receive a fax and edit it, I still must go over
to Windows.  SO: I think Linux's Kernel/ Memory Management/ Process
management is WONDERFUL, but MS WIndows's API, Common INterface and
software available cannot be ignored.

Whats the answer?  For me, its have my 1 gigger split 500/500.  I'm
waiting for a better solution.

Shoel Perelman

2. WinDoze 95/NT/3.1/whatever

3. Why don't console message appear in my ``console'' window?

4. Flush hard disk writes?

5. why aren't 'esc' ~ 'break' recognized?

6. trap signal

7. Why can't I 'startx' except as 'root'?

8. smp with Linux

9. Windows for people who don't want to know why it doesn't work?

10. Why did 'nobody' do a 'find'

11. Why does 'ls' give '/' as the output?

12. why does 'admintool' hide my 'auto_master' table ?

13. Who is 'nobody' and why 'find'