Knoppix 3.2 Available...

Post by rapska » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 21:25:26

The latest version of Knoppix is available for download.

This version features many enhancements, upgrades and bug-fixes.  Default
WM is KDE 3.1, XFree 4.3.0, OOo 1.0.2, improved hardware detection, etc.,
etc.

One 700MB ISO, that contains more than 900 installed software packages
with over 2000 executable user programs, utilities, and games...amazing!

http://www.knoppix.org

--
rapskat -  14:20:26 up 2 days, 38 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.12, 0.17, 0.34
Running LGX - Linux + GNU + XFree86: Gentoo flavored

Knoppix 3.2 Available...

Post by Peter Jense » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 22:08:55

> The latest version of Knoppix is available for download.

> This version features many enhancements, upgrades and bug-fixes.  Default
> WM is KDE 3.1, XFree 4.3.0, OOo 1.0.2, improved hardware detection, etc.,
> etc.

> One 700MB ISO, that contains more than 900 installed software packages
> with over 2000 executable user programs, utilities, and games...amazing!

> http://www.knoppix.org

Hmm ... Maybe I'll get me a new Gentoo installation CD :-)

Seriously though, using a Knoppix CD is the *only* way to install
Gentoo, as far as I'm concerned. It worked so smoothly that I'll never
(no offence to lynx) to read the install manuals in. And while waiting
for the 'merge to finish, why not play a few games? Or visit #cola? Or
watch TV? Or play some mp3's? Or surf the web?

When I was done with the install, it only took one reboot and I was in
my freshly compiled Gentoo environment, complete with a speedy KDE :-)

Just *don't* exit the Knoppix X session ... Trust me on that one ...

--
PeKaJe

Your nature demands love and your happiness depends on it.

Knoppix 3.2 Available...

Post by Mark » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 22:29:33

>>The latest version of Knoppix is available for download.

>>This version features many enhancements, upgrades and bug-fixes.  Default
>>WM is KDE 3.1, XFree 4.3.0, OOo 1.0.2, improved hardware detection, etc.,
>>etc.

>>One 700MB ISO, that contains more than 900 installed software packages
>>with over 2000 executable user programs, utilities, and games...amazing!

>>http://www.knoppix.org

> Hmm ... Maybe I'll get me a new Gentoo installation CD :-)

> Seriously though, using a Knoppix CD is the *only* way to install
> Gentoo, as far as I'm concerned. It worked so smoothly that I'll never
> (no offence to lynx) to read the install manuals in. And while waiting
> for the 'merge to finish, why not play a few games? Or visit #cola? Or
> watch TV? Or play some mp3's? Or surf the web?

> When I was done with the install, it only took one reboot and I was in
> my freshly compiled Gentoo environment, complete with a speedy KDE :-)

> Just *don't* exit the Knoppix X session ... Trust me on that one ...

refering to the defalt keyboard layout? Which is German and easy to change.

Knoppix 3.2 Available...

Post by Peter Jense » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 22:42:11

>>> http://www.knoppix.org

>> Hmm ... Maybe I'll get me a new Gentoo installation CD :-)

>> Seriously though, using a Knoppix CD is the *only* way to install
>> Gentoo, as far as I'm concerned. It worked so smoothly that I'll
>> never go back to the text only install. It really helps to have a
>> good browser (no offence to lynx) to read the install manuals in. And
>> while waiting for the 'merge to finish, why not play a few games? Or
>> visit #cola? Or watch TV? Or play some mp3's? Or surf the web?

>> When I was done with the install, it only took one reboot and I was
>> in my freshly compiled Gentoo environment, complete with a speedy KDE
>> :-)

>> Just *don't* exit the Knoppix X session ... Trust me on that one ...

> refering to the defalt keyboard layout? Which is German and easy to
> change.

What? No ... Actually, I use a localized Danish version, so I don't have
to change anything at the prompt :-)

The only annoying thing is that if you exit the X session, your 'merging
is brutally stopped. It is actually beyond repair, if you do it at a
certain point in the bootstrap. I dare you to ask me how I know that :-)

--
PeKaJe

The universe is like a safe to which there is a combination -- but the
combination is locked up in the safe.  -- Peter DeVries

Knoppix 3.2 Available...

Post by Mark » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 22:52:35

>>>Hmm ... Maybe I'll get me a new Gentoo installation CD :-)

>>>Seriously though, using a Knoppix CD is the *only* way to install
>>>Gentoo, as far as I'm concerned. It worked so smoothly that I'll
>>>never go back to the text only install. It really helps to have a
>>>good browser (no offence to lynx) to read the install manuals in. And
>>>while waiting for the 'merge to finish, why not play a few games? Or
>>>visit #cola? Or watch TV? Or play some mp3's? Or surf the web?

>>>When I was done with the install, it only took one reboot and I was
>>>in my freshly compiled Gentoo environment, complete with a speedy KDE
>>>:-)

>>>Just *don't* exit the Knoppix X session ... Trust me on that one ...

>>refering to the defalt keyboard layout? Which is German and easy to
>>change.

> What? No ... Actually, I use a localized Danish version, so I don't have
> to change anything at the prompt :-)

> The only annoying thing is that if you exit the X session, your 'merging
> is brutally stopped. It is actually beyond repair, if you do it at a
> certain point in the bootstrap. I dare you to ask me how I know that :-)

lol  ;) It's interesting to note that the makers of Knoppix and Yoper
maybe banding together to come up with a combined offering. Should be
interesting................

Knoppix 3.2 Available...

Post by Peter Jense » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 23:23:53

>> The only annoying thing is that if you exit the X session, your
>> 'merging is brutally stopped. It is actually beyond repair, if you do
>> it at a certain point in the bootstrap. I dare you to ask me how I
>> know that :-)

> lol  ;) It's interesting to note that the makers of Knoppix and Yoper
> maybe banding together to come up with a combined offering. Should be
> interesting................

Very much so. I've taken a look at Yoper. They have quite an interesting
angle at all of this. They could very well take a large chunk of the
corporate desktop, if they continue along those lines ... Interesting
indeed ..

--
PeKaJe

A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that balances are
correct.  -- Princess Irulan, "Manual of Maud'Dib"

Knoppix 3.2 Available...

Post by kosh » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 23:23:54

> The latest version of Knoppix is available for download.

> This version features many enhancements, upgrades and bug-fixes.  Default
> WM is KDE 3.1, XFree 4.3.0, OOo 1.0.2, improved hardware detection, etc.,
> etc.

> One 700MB ISO, that contains more than 900 installed software packages
> with over 2000 executable user programs, utilities, and games...amazing!

> http://www.knoppix.org

Knoppix kicks ass! I just used it yesterday to repair a system that would
not boot and the thing detects everything on the systems I have tried it on
so far. One of my friends that still does tech support is going to use
knoppix now as a standard support tool.

Knoppix 3.2 Available...

Post by Jazz » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 00:14:12

11000110011000111000 Peter Jensen 11111001011110 Monday 07 April 2003
23:23 11000101000001100 comp.os.linux.advocacy :

>>> The only annoying thing is that if you exit the X session, your
>>> 'merging is brutally stopped. It is actually beyond repair, if you
>>> do it at a certain point in the bootstrap. I dare you to ask me how
>>> I know that :-)

>> lol  ;) It's interesting to note that the makers of Knoppix and Yoper
>> maybe banding together to come up with a combined offering. Should be
>> interesting................

> Very much so. I've taken a look at Yoper. They have quite an
> interesting angle at all of this. They could very well take a large
> chunk of the corporate desktop, if they continue along those lines ...
> Interesting indeed ..

I love the part where they talk about "yoperizing" an office. These guys
are floating really high on my kewl-o-meter (borrowed from Jeremy
Clarkson).
--
Jazz.

"Until Windows XP becomes easy to install,
 it will never make it on the desktop."
(Chris AKA 'Lin?nut' on comp.os.linux.advocacy)

Knoppix 3.2 Available...

Post by Sinister Midge » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 00:22:44

>> The latest version of Knoppix is available for download.

>> This version features many enhancements, upgrades and bug-fixes.  Default
>> WM is KDE 3.1, XFree 4.3.0, OOo 1.0.2, improved hardware detection, etc.,
>> etc.

>> One 700MB ISO, that contains more than 900 installed software packages
>> with over 2000 executable user programs, utilities, and games...amazing!

>> http://www.knoppix.org

> Knoppix kicks ass! I just used it yesterday to repair a system that would
> not boot and the thing detects everything on the systems I have tried it on
> so far. One of my friends that still does tech support is going to use
> knoppix now as a standard support tool.

I've had it fail every time so far on some machines. We had some 450MHz
Gateways at work that failed to work. We have some newer 1GHz Gateways
at work now. It has failed so far on those. But I haven't tried all of
the options. Nor have I given up trying. It's simply a lack of time to
work with it.

A guy at work was asking me about linux a couple of weeks ago. I
happened to have a knoppix CD with me. He claims he'd already tried it
and it didn't work. I don't know anything about his hardware except
it's either a P150 or P166. I _do_ know some things about his
capabilities. Let's just say that I might have had better luck with it
than he did if I'd been there when it was tried. Maybe not. But he's
basically a windoze user with no real skills when it comes to
computing. And he proudly admits it, too.

Except for those I failed to find anything it wouldn't boot with. I've
tried it on every variation of machine I've had at home with no
problems (except the MAC, of course). I've given it away to at least a
dozen other people that all reported great success using it. One guy at
work boots into it once in awhile (he's using entirely different
hardware than we have in the problem machines) to work with files on
his W2K machine.

My goal is to figure out what it takes to make it boot to the errant
machines, modify the boot process/hardware detection/whatever it takes,
reburn the CD and use it for a support tool.

--
Windows: Pay more, expect less.

Knoppix 3.2 Available...

Post by Franoculato » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 03:50:22

rapskat spilled his alphabet soup on the floor,
and the letters spelled:

Quote:> The latest version of Knoppix is available for download.

> This version features many enhancements, upgrades and bug-fixes.  Default
> WM is KDE 3.1, XFree 4.3.0, OOo 1.0.2, improved hardware detection, etc.,
> etc.

Improved??? hardware detection?  Whatever.  I don't see how that would
be possible.  ;)

Quote:> One 700MB ISO, that contains more than 900 installed software packages
> with over 2000 executable user programs, utilities, and games...amazing!

That's amazing, since it actually contains around 2Gigs of software,
compressed, of course.

Quote:> http://www.knoppix.org

Knoppix is by and large, the single most useful "pinch" tool.  By pinch,
I mean, to use when you are in a pinch.  I tend to use it as a recovery
and/or install disc.  It makes the gentoo installation alot smoother.
I'm not too fond of using it as a demo for other people, because I alway
have either my laptop (gentoo) or my zaurus, and sometimes both, and
those are, IMHO, a better way to advertise Linux.  I have, however,
given copies of knoppix away to others who have asked about trying LGX.

--
Matt

"Windows is a commercial OS, you don't like it then don't buy it"
    - Written by a wintroll in COLA on January 22, 2003

Knoppix 3.2 Available...

Post by Tim Smit » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 03:59:58

Quote:> The only annoying thing is that if you exit the X session, your 'merging
> is brutally stopped. It is actually beyond repair, if you do it at a
> certain point in the bootstrap. I dare you to ask me how I know that :-)

Is that just because Knoppix reboots when you exit X?  If so, there's a
startup option to not start X.  You can use that, and start X with startx,
and then safetly exit X later without rebooting.

--
Evidence Eliminator is worthless: www.evidence-eliminator-sucks.com
--Tim Smith

Knoppix 3.2 Available...

Post by D. C. Session » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 06:36:22

Quote:> The only annoying thing is that if you exit the X session, your 'merging
> is brutally stopped. It is actually beyond repair, if you do it at a
> certain point in the bootstrap. I dare you to ask me how I know that :-)

No fooling?  How does it hose screen?

--
begin  signature.vbs
|      In the course of every project there comes a time        |

Knoppix 3.2 Available...

Post by Jim Richardso » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 07:58:04

--
Jim Richardson         http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock

Linux, because eventually, you grow up enough to be trusted with a fork()

Knoppix 3.2 Available...

Post by Peter Jense » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 09:24:00

>> The only annoying thing is that if you exit the X session, your 'merging
>> is brutally stopped. It is actually beyond repair, if you do it at a
>> certain point in the bootstrap. I dare you to ask me how I know that :-)

> No fooling?  How does it hose screen?

When the X session is stopped, the computer is shut down. 'nuff said ...

--
PeKaJe

Questionable day.
Ask somebody something.

Knoppix 3.2 Available...

Post by Peter Jense » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 09:29:49

>> The only annoying thing is that if you exit the X session, your 'merging
>> is brutally stopped. It is actually beyond repair, if you do it at a
>> certain point in the bootstrap. I dare you to ask me how I know that :-)

> Is that just because Knoppix reboots when you exit X?

Actually it halts the computer.

Quote:> If so, there's a startup option to not start X.  You can use that, and
> start X with startx, and then safetly exit X later without rebooting.

I did notice that, but it's not really worth the hassle. So long as you
know not to exit the session, you are safe. It only takes one failed
attempt to learn ...

--
PeKaJe

A team effort is a lot of people doing what I say.
                -- Michael Winner, British film director

1. Knoppix 3.2 Recovery Q?

Hi all.

I work in support in a Windows and Mac shop.

We hoped to help the OSS cause by using Knoppix in some recovery
conditions...  For example, we've had a couple WinXP machines with NTFS
drive die with NTFS.sys blue screens.  No windows recovery tool could mount
the drive, but knoppix could.

The trick is, we ca use knoppix for backup but *not* for repair. We waited
for Knoppix 3.2 in the hopes that it would allow us to delete rogue files on
ntfs, but it seems like it can't.

So:
    1) Does anyone know how to get knoppix to mnt ntfs volumes in r/w mode?
It appears that root can can write to the disk, but the user ('knoppix')
can't.

Thanks,
A Nony Mouse

2. help on upgrading GCC to 4.7.0 from 4.6.27

3. No Sound: "Sound Blaster Live 5.2" & Knoppix 3.2

4. V.90 server w/ WAN card?

5. KNOPPIX 3.2 and USB ADSL modem

6. Active x

7. Linux backend for lcc 3.2 now available

8. pam_ldap and password management and rsh/ssh without password

9. X on OpenBSD/sparc 3.2-beta: "No drivers available"

10. Recent List of AIX 3.2 PTFs available - 93/03/29

11. ftpd, comsat, ntalk, ncftp for AIX 3.2.x available

12. Help! sio3 no longer available with 3.2

13. List of AIX 3.2 PTFs available - Feb. 01, 1993