Windows 2000 and Win98 Clarification.

Post by Martin Ozolin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Many have made allusions to an announcement by Microsoft that they were
changing Windows 2000 from NT based to Windows98 based. I have done several
searches of Microsoft's web site as well as several independent electronic
news sources for this announcement. It doesn't exist as far as I can tell.
If you have it please post the link.

The source of this rumour, it seems, was an article by CMPnet's W2K Insider
http://www.winmag.com/win2000/insider/1999/0499/041399.htm titled Win98's
New Life and Win2000 Pro's Secure Future dated April 13 this year.  The
opening paragraph follows:

"Reports of Win98's impending death, it turns out, have been somewhat
exaggerated--and so has the build-up for a consumer version of Windows 2000.
If you've followed these columns, you'll know that I reported over a month
ago that Microsoft was working on two service releases for Windows 98--the
first to ship this fall, and the second next year. At last week's Windows
Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC), Microsoft president Steve Ballmer
and director of Windows 98 development David Cole announced a new product:
Windows 98, Second Edition. Here's the scoop--Windows 98 Second Edition is
actually Windows 98 service release 1. In fact, if you're a Windows 98 user
today, you won't need to buy the new version--just download the appropriate
service pack upgrades from Microsoft's Windows Update site, or pay $19.95
for an upgrade CD. Aside from bug fixes, the major new features of this
release are Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). ICS
is a slick technology that allows all users on a network segment to share a
single Internet connection, and at press time ICS was one feature that might
not be available for free; Microsoft apparently hasn't decided that yet."

If one stops reading here it would imply that the consumer edition of
Windows 2000 was being changed to a Windows 98 based system. I read further.
Paragraph two follows:

"The confusion you've been hearing (and reading, on other Web sites and in
other publications) came from something else Ballmer and Cole talked about
at WinHEC: a new "Consumer Windows in 2000" initiative based on Windows 98.
That's been widely--and incorrectly--interpreted as Microsoft backing away
from its long-announced intention to kill off the Windows 98 code base in
favor of the Windows NT code base that underlies Windows 2000. The truth is
that Consumer Windows in 2000 is really just an expansion on the existing,
though not-publicly-announced plan for a second service release. In other
words, when you hear Windows 98, Second Edition--think Service Release 1.
When you hear Consumer Windows in 2000--think Service Release 2."

Hint:  Consumer Windows in 2000 != Windows 2000 Consumer Edition && Consumer
Windows in 2000 == Windows 98 SR 2.  Paragraph three follows:

"What's really changed? Not all that much. Evidently, Microsoft has decided
to stretch out the life of Windows 98, at least through next year. The plan
to eventually replace it with a consumer version of Windows based on the NT
code base remains (Ballmer reiterated exactly this point in his WinHEC
presentation), we just won't see it until 2001 or later. The WinHEC
presentations did disclose some new information about what we can expect for
consumer Windows in the meantime. Four main points were listed for the
Consumer Windows in 2000 effort, namely digital media , home networking,
next-generation simplicity ("it just works") and immersive Web experience"

Self explanatory. Facts require more than just reading the headlines.

Chris, if you recall our wager of a short while back, start formatting
buddy.

Windows 2000 and Win98 Clarification.

Post by Jim Richards » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 17:32:03 -0700,

 brought forth the following words...:

Quote:>Many have made allusions to an announcement by Microsoft that they were
>changing Windows 2000 from NT based to Windows98 based. I have done several
>searches of Microsoft's web site as well as several independent electronic
>news sources for this announcement. It doesn't exist as far as I can tell.
>If you have it please post the link.

>The source of this rumour, it seems, was an article by CMPnet's W2K Insider
>http://www.winmag.com/win2000/insider/1999/0499/041399.htm titled Win98's
>New Life and Win2000 Pro's Secure Future dated April 13 this year.  The
>opening paragraph follows:

>"Reports of Win98's impending death, it turns out, have been somewhat
>exaggerated--and so has the build-up for a consumer version of Windows 2000.
>If you've followed these columns, you'll know that I reported over a month
>ago that Microsoft was working on two service releases for Windows 98--the
>first to ship this fall, and the second next year. At last week's Windows
>Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC), Microsoft president Steve Ballmer
>and director of Windows 98 development David Cole announced a new product:
>Windows 98, Second Edition. Here's the scoop--Windows 98 Second Edition is
>actually Windows 98 service release 1. In fact, if you're a Windows 98 user
>today, you won't need to buy the new version--just download the appropriate
>service pack upgrades from Microsoft's Windows Update site, or pay $19.95
>for an upgrade CD. Aside from bug fixes, the major new features of this
>release are Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). ICS
>is a slick technology that allows all users on a network segment to share a
>single Internet connection, and at press time ICS was one feature that might
>not be available for free; Microsoft apparently hasn't decided that yet."

hmm, sounds like ipmasquerading.... it's free with Linux :)
 (so if you have an office full of WinXX and need to get internet access
for all via 1 link, just stick an old '486 box as a gatway/firewall and
use it. No need to pay M$)

<mucho snippage>

--
Jim Richardson
        www.eskimo.com/~warlock

Post by Person » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> <snip>
> hmm, sounds like ipmasquerading.... it's free with Linux :)
>  (so if you have an office full of WinXX and need to get internet access
> for all via 1 link, just stick an old '486 box as a gatway/firewall and
> use it. No need to pay M$)

What he failed to mention was that the Windows version, if you will, limits the
connection to 5 users.  I don't think Linux has this limitation.
Quote:> <mucho snippage>