Just when Microsoft thought they had gotton away scott-free....

Just when Microsoft thought they had gotton away scott-free....

Post by Matthew Gardine » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 19:18:57

The Europeans crush their (Microsoft's) little party:

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093662,00.html

Bill Gates maybe able to bend the rules and bribe senators, but this is
a trading block that doesn't take kindly to those who break their
anti-competitive laws.

Matthew Gardiner
--
WARNING:

This email was written on an OS using the viral 'GPL' as it's license.

Please check with Bill Gates before continuing to read this email/posting.

Post by Rick » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 20:29:54

> The Europeans crush their (Microsoft's) little party:

> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093662,00.html

> Bill Gates maybe able to bend the rules and bribe senators, but this is
> a trading block that doesn't take kindly to those who break their
> anti-competitive laws.

> Matthew Gardiner
> --
> WARNING:

> This email was written on an OS using the viral 'GPL' as it's license.

> Please check with Bill Gates before continuing to read this email/posting.

It will be intereting to see what immoral, unethical and/or illegal
means m$ employs to evade maximum punishment in Europe.

Post by The.Central.Scrutinizer.wakaw.. » Sat, 07 Jul 2001 03:15:27

>> The Europeans crush their (Microsoft's) little party:

>> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093662,00.html

>> Bill Gates maybe able to bend the rules and bribe senators, but this is
>> a trading block that doesn't take kindly to those who break their
>> anti-competitive laws.

>> Matthew Gardiner
>> --
>> WARNING:

>> This email was written on an OS using the viral 'GPL' as it's license.

>> Please check with Bill Gates before continuing to read this email/posting.

>It will be intereting to see what immoral, unethical and/or illegal
>means m$ employs to evade maximum punishment in Europe.

the usual.  if they could bribe enough people in the US, they'll able to do the
same in europe.  The only limiting factor will be what they think their market
share in various countries will be.

Post by Matthew Gardine » Sat, 07 Jul 2001 06:45:40

>>>The Europeans crush their (Microsoft's) little party:

>>>http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093662,00.html

>>>Bill Gates maybe able to bend the rules and bribe senators, but this is
>>>a trading block that doesn't take kindly to those who break their
>>>anti-competitive laws.

>>>Matthew Gardiner
>>>--
>>>WARNING:

>>>This email was written on an OS using the viral 'GPL' as it's license.

>>>Please check with Bill Gates before continuing to read this email/posting.

>>It will be intereting to see what immoral, unethical and/or illegal
>>means m$ employs to evade maximum punishment in Europe.

> the usual.  if they could bribe enough people in the US, they'll able to do the
> same in europe.  The only limiting factor will be what they think their market
> share in various countries will be.

Depends, Microsoft hasn't exactly been wining and dining with European
Politians, so I can't exactly see them trying to use the old charm
offensive at the last minute.

Matthew Gardiner

--

Post by charles lyttl » Sat, 07 Jul 2001 08:51:02

> >>It will be intereting to see what immoral, unethical and/or illegal
> >>means m$ employs to evade maximum punishment in Europe.

> > the usual.  if they could bribe enough people in the US, they'll able to do the
> > same in europe.  The only limiting factor will be what they think their market
> > share in various countries will be.

> Depends, Microsoft hasn't exactly been wining and dining with European
> Politians, so I can't exactly see them trying to use the old charm
> offensive at the last minute.

> Matthew Gardiner

> --
> WARNING:

> This email was written on an OS using the viral 'GPL' as it's license.

> Please check with Bill Gates before continuing to read this email/posting.

Does anyone working for MS know how to properly bribe Europeans or South
Americans?  Seems to me they handle it in an entirely different manner
there.
--
Russ Lyttle
<http://home.earthlink.net/~lyttlec>

Just when Microsoft thought they had gotton away scott-free....

Post by Doctor Goa » Sat, 07 Jul 2001 14:19:59

<snip>

Quote:> Depends, Microsoft hasn't exactly been wining and dining with European
> Politians, so I can't exactly see them trying to use the old charm
> offensive at the last minute.

> Matthew Gardiner

From what I hear, they practically own the UK government...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/19530.html

DG

Post by Matthew Gardine » Sat, 07 Jul 2001 15:27:28

> <snip>

>>Depends, Microsoft hasn't exactly been wining and dining with European
>>Politians, so I can't exactly see them trying to use the old charm
>>offensive at the last minute.

>>Matthew Gardiner

> From what I hear, they practically own the UK government...

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/19530.html

> DG

Thank god they don't own the NZ government, the New Zealand government
gateway is hosted on a Linux server, www.govt.nz

Matthew Gardiner

--
WARNING:

This email was written on an OS using the viral 'GPL' as it's license.

Please check with Bill Gates before continuing to read this email/posting.

Just when Microsoft thought they had gotton away scott-free....

Post by John Saunder » Sat, 07 Jul 2001 21:21:25

Quote:> The Europeans crush their (Microsoft's) little party:

> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093662,00.html

The EU hasn't done anything yet. They're still investigating Microsoft.
--
John Saunders

Post by Peter Haye » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 02:46:20

> <snip>
> > Depends, Microsoft hasn't exactly been wining and dining with European
> > Politians, so I can't exactly see them trying to use the old charm
> > offensive at the last minute.

> > Matthew Gardiner

> From what I hear, they practically own the UK government...

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/19530.html

Blair & Co. plan to give all the disadvantaged free computers and internet
access.

In a couple of elections time, we'll probably have to vote online. Non-MS
users will be disenfranchised. This'll eliminate anyone who might think for
themselves thereby ensuring a perpetual right wing Conser.. err.. New Labour
government. And with a MS server counting the results.....

Not that it'll make a lot of difference. In a couple of elections time less
than 40% will vote anyway.

Peter

Post by Todd » Sat, 07 Jul 2001 23:57:17

Quote:> The Europeans crush their (Microsoft's) little party:

> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093662,00.html

> Bill Gates maybe able to bend the rules and bribe senators, but this is
> a trading block that doesn't take kindly to those who break their
> anti-competitive laws.

What's most interesting is that it is Sun that brought up the first
complaints and is now "fully cooperating" with the EU regulators.

Just another example of competitors trying to use the courts instead of
coming up with better products.

-Todd

Quote:

Post by Mart van de Weg » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 07:02:39

>> The Europeans crush their (Microsoft's) little party:

>> http://www.veryComputer.com/,4586,5093662,00.html

>> Bill Gates maybe able to bend the rules and bribe senators, but this is
>> a trading block that doesn't take kindly to those who break their
>> anti-competitive laws.

> What's most interesting is that it is Sun that brought up the first
> complaints and is now "fully cooperating" with the EU regulators.

> Just another example of competitors trying to use the courts instead of
> coming up with better products.

Well of course, if *your* competitor hires the mob to threaten you, *you*
wouldn't dream of telling the police, you would try to outcompete them
instead?
Watch out for that horse's head, I hear it's hard to get *stains out
of the sheets.

Mart

PS: If you are sarcasm-impaired, going to the courts when your opponent
is using *illegal* tactics is exactly what courts were instituted for. You
don't compete, you call the cops.

HTH, HAND etc.

--
Playing for the high one, dancing with the devil,
Going with the flow, it's all the same to me,

Post by Rick » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 09:35:22

> > The Europeans crush their (Microsoft's) little party:

> > http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5093662,00.html

> > Bill Gates maybe able to bend the rules and bribe senators, but this is
> > a trading block that doesn't take kindly to those who break their
> > anti-competitive laws.

> What's most interesting is that it is Sun that brought up the first
> complaints and is now "fully cooperating" with the EU regulators.

> Just another example of competitors trying to use the courts instead of
> coming up with better products.

> -Todd

When will you m$ shills wake up and quit deluding yourself. m$ does NOT
produce better products. micro$oft IS a predatory. anti-competitive
monopoly.

Post by r.. » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 08:46:16

> <snip>
>> Depends, Microsoft hasn't exactly been wining and dining with European
>> Politians, so I can't exactly see them trying to use the old charm
>> offensive at the last minute.

>> Matthew Gardiner

> From what I hear, they practically own the UK government...

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/19530.html

Perhaps not: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/20235.html

Looks like this is turning into a major embarassment for the
Blair government.

--
Over 100 security bugs in Microsoft SW last year. An infamous
record. The worst offending piece of SW, by far, IIS. 2001 isn't

Post by Donal K. Fellow » Tue, 10 Jul 2001 22:38:58

> Perhaps not: http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Looks like this is turning into a major embarassment for the
> Blair government.

No, there are plenty of other things even more embarrasing for Tony
Yuck and his m*munchkins...

Donal.
--
"Windows is a car with square wheels (architecture) and a huge engine (hype,
 etc.), capable of of making the car move despite the square wheels.  Linux

1. Microsoft denys Office free gave away is response to OpenOffice NZHERALD.co.nz

http://tinyurl.com/da08
Microsoft opens Office door for employees after hours
RICHARD WOOD  June 03 062003

 From September, Microsoft will allow certain corporate and Government
organisations to let employees use Office software at home for free.
-
A rough estimate by the Herald puts the number of home users who could
benefit at 250,000, which would make the offer worth up to $300 million
in New Zealand.
-
The giveaway software is part of a package of sweeteners for businesses
that buy through Microsoft's Software Assurance licensing scheme -
customers who pay annual fees of 25 to 29 per cent of the purchase price
in return for the right to software upgrades.
-
Microsoft acknowledged that it had done a poor job introducing the new
regime and said the additions were a result of listening to customers.
It denies that the home-use deal is a response to competitive pressure
from the likes of Star Office and Open Office. But considering the large
price gap between Microsoft and competitors, it is bound to help.
-------
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3505331&thesection...
---

2. What is/was "doshell" for?

3. Thinking Microsoft? - think UNIX

4. Scriptong Question

5. How does microsoft get away with this?

6. hpux cc

7. SDFishin is giving away Microsoft Windows XP

8. Problem with non-blocking sockets.

9. Microsoft NT is fading away.......

10. Rivals chip away at Microsoft's dominance

11. having problems with leafnode (I think)

12. Take the "OS" away from Microsoft - animated gif

13. Still having problems with NIS+ (or so I think)