Probs with voodoo3 3000, rh6.1 and test3Dfx

Probs with voodoo3 3000, rh6.1 and test3Dfx

Post by <bol.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I just bought a new system with a BX chipset motherboard and all,
including a brand spanking new voodoo3 3000.

I installed redhat 6.1 on the system.

I followed the instructions at 3dfxgamers and installed the
drivers and modules.

When I first ran /usr/local/glide/bin/test3Dfx -r 640x480 the
screen just trashed out.

I tried running this at a few resolutions and the screen just
garbages out.

I installed q3test-1.8 and ran it with the options:

pushd /usr/local/games/q3test;./linuxquake3
   +set r_glDriver libMesaVoodooGL.so.3.1 +set in_dgamouse 0;popd

Quake started up, but again with the crapped out screen.
Funny thing though, sound was working and I could hear
that my menus were navigating and could see the *"change"
when I selected menus.

Can anyone help me with this?

Btw, my previous system was k6-2 based with a banshee card
and I had run quake3 on that before.  I just took the XF86Config
I had from that card and changed the name settings around.

This is an abit BP6 system but I see this behavior with a single
CPU setting with the CPU at 366 (so please no flames about
"you get what you deserve").  I've done the CYA work.

Thanks,

Brian

1. mandrake6.0 and 3dfx voodoo3 3000 question

i hate to sound like a clueless first timer,
but if it walks like a duck.... well, anyways:

I'm having severe trouble seting up Mandrake6.0
to work with my 3dfx Voodoo3 3000.  The graphics
setup doesn't have the card in it, and the
instructions on the 3dfx site:

http://www.3dfxgamers.com/view.asp?IOID=31

seem a little advanced (oh gawd- did that sound
bad or what; this is humiliating, i know dos,
windows, and macs like the back of my hand, but
linux is turning out to be a bit of a challenge)
for the mere likes of me.  They have instructions
that i could probably trudge through, but they don't
have a directory that you are supposed to put the
drivers in, etc etc, and also it says that some of
them are only distributed as source (!) and that i
have to compile them (again, a little off of my
linux skill level).  If anyone could possibly help
me out in any way, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am in the bash shell at this point, can get into
the KDE interface, but only at a 300x200 (cant remember
specifically the size) virtual desktop, resolution
step controls don't work.

=================
Thanks in advance
=================

LINUX distribution:
  Linux Mandrake release 6.0(Venus)
   *It states on the box that mandrake 6.0
    is based on redhat 6.0, if that helps.

LINUX INFO (info on screen at boot)

Linux Version: 2.2.9-19mdk
 -compiled #1 WED MAY 19 19:53:00 GMT 1999
One 400MHz K6-3 Processor, 63M RAM
799.54BOGOMIPS TOTAL
localhost.localdomain

LINUX INFO that 3dfx setup instructions
call for:

-Glibc Version:  libc-2.1.1.so*
-XFree86 Version:
  *Name:     XFree86
  *Version:  3.3.3.1
  *Release:  58mdk

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION:

*AMD k6-3 400 (4.0x100)
*64meg pc100 ram
*3dfx voodoo3 3000 (16mb agp, 350mhz ramdac, 166mhz
 3d core and memory)
*6.4gb Quantum udma/33 hd
*TMC AIV5G+ mainboard (via mp3 chipset)

2. IPMasq and FTP Ports?

3. Can Voodoo3 3000 on Redhat 6.0??

4. ftp question?

5. Anyone successfully using X 3.9.16 with a Voodoo3 3000?

6. A C question (about strlen)

7. (XFree86 4.0) voodoo3 3000 agp displays "garbage" in quake3

8. Moving processes

9. Voodoo3 3000 PCI and XFree86 4.02

10. more voodoo3 3000

11. help with installing Voodoo3 3000 agp!

12. voodoo3 3000 and solaris

13. DRI very slow with Voodoo3 3000