Anybody want to test a widget?

Post by wrinkledsh.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I coded a GTK+ help browser widget last night. It's not full-featured
yet and it hasn't been proven to work on any machine but mine, but if
you've got nothing to do and a recent distro of Gnome on your machine,
maybe you'd like to help out? It's tarballed and gzipped and takes up
about 6.3 KB...

(I ain't posting my email until someone says yes. Last time I did that
the worms found it and spammed the living hell of me...)

-ws

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by 2:1 » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I coded a GTK+ help browser widget last night. It's not full-featured
> yet and it hasn't been proven to work on any machine but mine, but if
> you've got nothing to do and a recent distro of Gnome on your machine,
> maybe you'd like to help out? It's tarballed and gzipped and takes up
> about 6.3 KB...

> (I ain't posting my email until someone says yes. Last time I did that
> the worms found it and spammed the living hell of me...)

> -ws

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

If you post your email on several lines (like in my sig) it seems to be
worm free.

Sorry i can't help, though.

-Ed

--
Konrad Zuse should  recognised. He built the first      | Edward Rosten
binary digital computer (Z1, with floating point) the   | Engineer

commercial one (Z4).                                    | eng.ox.ac.uk

Anybody want to test a widget?

Post by wrinkledsh.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> If you post your email on several lines (like in my sig) it seems to
> be worm free.

Thanks!

hotmail
.
com

(sorry, but I still need the evil empire for some things)

Quote:> Sorry i can't help, though.

Rat bastard.

-ws

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Anybody want to test a widget?

Post by The Ghost In The Machi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

 wrote
on Fri, 13 Oct 2000 21:40:16 GMT

>> If you post your email on several lines (like in my sig) it seems to
>> be worm free.

>Thanks!

>wrinkledshirt

>hotmail
>.
>com

>(sorry, but I still need the evil empire for some things)

>> Sorry i can't help, though.

>Rat bastard.

>-ws

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Uh, can we at least get this thread back to discussing the widget, now? :-)

--

Anybody want to test a widget?

Post by 2:1 » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > If you post your email on several lines (like in my sig) it seems to
> > be worm free.

> Thanks!

> wrinkledshirt

> hotmail
> .
> com

> (sorry, but I still need the evil empire for some things)

> > Sorry i can't help, though.

> Rat bastard.

When I start on GTK and have some time I might help. I understand your
frustration, though.

I understand your frustration, though.

Anyone want to help on a FORTH project? It's a nice, fast, portable (I
hope)implementation designed to be embedded very easily in C programs.

-Ed

--

Post by wrinkledsh.. » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:28:49

> > > Sorry i can't help, though.

> > Rat bastard.

> When I start on GTK and have some time I might help. I understand your
> frustration, though.

S'alright. Just kidding around.

Quote:> I understand your frustration, though.

Uhhh.... S'alright. Just kidding around. You're skipping, by the way.

Quote:> Anyone want to help on a FORTH project? It's a nice, fast, portable (I
> hope)implementation designed to be embedded very easily in C programs.

What's it do? Just curious.

-wrinkledshirt

Post by wrinkledsh.. » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:36:33

> >Rat bastard.

> Uh, can we at least get this thread back to discussing the widget,
> now? :-)

Seriously? It's a help widget designed to work similarly to the way
online help works in the MS environment. Have the contents tree and
index almost finished in a tabbed notebook on the side, and a viewer
area that loads the topic. Eventually, I want to use an HTML widget
instead of the text one that I have now.

I started doing it because they had us coding MS help files in class,
and the interface was so ridiculous to build the thing that I thought
I'd try to make something easier in GTK+. Haven't built the Help toolkit
yet, but the datafile format is just about set and isn't all that hard
to hand code. At the moment, I just want to see if it integrates okay
into other programs and compiles on machines other than mine, and then
maybe I'll go knocking down the doors of some of the folks whose games
get distributed in commercial distros and ask if they want it (I'd write
the help files too, if they wanted...).

Just found the standard GNOME help browser to be a little too bulky, and
thought there wasn't any reason it couldn't get reduced to a simple
widget. There are some bugs with the version of GtkCTree that I have (no
trees more than three levels deep for some strange reason), but other
than that it seems to load quickly enough.

Anyways, that's it. No doubt someone's already done this, but I just
thought I'd give it a go. No reason MS should have the usability for
newbies argument when the tools are all right there...

-wrinkledshirt

wrinkledshirt (at) hotmail (dot) com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Anybody want to test a widget?

> > > Rat bastard.

> > When I start on GTK and have some time I might help. I understand your
> > frustration, though.

> S'alright. Just kidding around.

> > I understand your frustration, though.

> Uhhh.... S'alright. Just kidding around. You're skipping, by the way.

Never leave the keyboard half way through a message... :-)

Quote:> > Anyone want to help on a FORTH project? It's a nice, fast, portable (I
> > hope)implementation designed to be embedded very easily in C programs.

> What's it do? Just curious.

Forgive me if I over-explain a little, but I don't know how much you
know.

Its a forth implementation, so it has 2 stacks: a main stack (which
deals with all the calculations) and a return stack (for loops, function
calls, etc, etc).

It is a very weakly typed language. The main stack is a union of what
ever data you may want to store (by defaault, a union of signed long,
float and void *). Esentially, you have to keep track of what is on the
stack, although this is not actually too hard.

Because it is a stack based languagem it is RPN and has no parentheses.
So

2*(3+4) becomes 3 4 + 2 *

All operations on the stack are done by the push, pop, peek and replace.
The last too are for speed, really.

Commands can take the form of variables, constants, c functions or
definitions. A definition is a collection of commands, like a function.

New commands (in C) are of the type:
(void)fcn*(parser)
where parser is a pointer to a data type containing all the relavent
information for the parser.
A simple command might be (to add the 2 numbers on the main stack and
replace them with the sum.

void add(parser info)
{
    push(info, pop(info).i + pop(info).i);

Quote:}

Before it is first used, it must be registered with the parser:
c_reg(info, "+", add);

from now on, when ever the parser encounters a +, it will add 2 numbers.
All commands are added in thios way. There are no built in commands,
even the ones that come with it as default. The only built in response
is that if it reads something that isn' recognised as a command, and is
then recognised as a number, it puts it on the stack.

The minimal program using this (analogus to TCLsh, if my understanding
is correct) is:

main()
{
    parser info;

    init_parser(info)
    parse_file(stdin, info);

Quote:}

This would read commands from the standard input and run what ever
programs were there.

As you can see, I have designed it the be integrated in to a C program
with minimal possible effort.

Its history is as follows:

Origionally, the RPN parser was written for a dialog box generator for
(currntly) text mode dialog boxes. The RPN parser was needes because I
wanted to have complex dependences between items in the dialog box (eg,
greying out and hiding).

The RPN parser was altered slightly, to give me a very simnple
parametric graphics file format (for my first XLib app (unfinished, of
course)), for a game. It then got waylayes, and started becoming a fully
fledged imbeddable language.

The work left now, is to make more `built in' functions (more loops,
conditionals, etc). I also want to create a toolkit or 2 ( the Xwindows
one for simple parametric wil be the first), so that it can be really
useful.

That is a very brief introduction.

If you want more info, email me.

There isn't a website for it yet, but there may well be one soon. If you
want, I'll email you when its avaliable.

If you want the sourcew code, also email me.

It'll probably go under the LGPL.

-Ed

--
Konrad Zuse should  recognised. He built the first      | Edward Rosten
binary digital computer (Z1, with floating point) the   | Engineer

commercial one (Z4).                                    | eng.ox.ac.uk

Anybody want to test a widget?

Post by wrinkledsh.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

<snip>

My goodness.

Can you get at the gnumeric source? They probably have to do all sort of
equation parsing when they calculate cell values...

Post by 2:1 » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:34:38

> <snip>

> My goodness.

> Can you get at the gnumeric source? They probably have to do all sort of
> equation parsing when they calculate cell values...

I could (If I downloaded them), but I don't think they haveare RPN
parsers. An PRN parser is very efficient, but I don't think it's too
difficult to to a normal to RPN conversion. It's a recursive thingy.

-Ed

--

Post by wrinkledsh.. » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:33:04

> I coded a GTK+ help browser widget last night. It's not full-featured
> yet and it hasn't been proven to work on any machine but mine, but if
> you've got nothing to do and a recent distro of Gnome on your machine,
> maybe you'd like to help out? It's tarballed and gzipped and takes up
> about 6.3 KB...

Update: takes up 9K now.

So far, one satisfied customer and counting. Any more takers?

wrinkledshirt(at)hotmail(dot)com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Anybody want to test a widget?

Post by Chris Sherloc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Yeah, why not? email it to me. I still have to install Debian (I'm
getting it soon!) but as soon as I do, I will have a look.

Chris

Post by Bob Hau » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:43:40

>So far, one satisfied customer and counting. Any more takers?

I don't suppose you happen to know of a similar simple html viewer
that I can call from Python scripts?  I could wrap yours of course, but
I was looking for something that would work on Win32 as well.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

Post by wrinkledsh.. » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:26:58

> I don't suppose you happen to know of a similar simple html viewer
> that I can call from Python scripts?  I could wrap yours of course,
> but I was looking for something that would work on Win32 as well.

I don't have any experience working with TclTk and incorporating it
into different languages, but it's cross-platform and it has an HTML
widget in there...

By the way, I don't have one yet. I'm relying on GtkEditable (not so
nice), but that'll change as soon as I can get GtkHTML or CscHTML to
compile.

Post by Donal K. Fello » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> 2*(3+4) becomes 3 4 + 2 *

ITYM "2 3 4 + *"

Inline to RPN conversion is trivial since you just perform a walk of
the parsed syntax tree, inserting node labels after processing the
children of each node.  Parsing 101 if you ask me...

Donal.
--

-- I have to warn you up front that I'm pretty sure you're full of crap, but
   it might still be interesting to see your argument.