Yet *Another* Photshop feature the GIMP doesn't have!

Yet *Another* Photshop feature the GIMP doesn't have!

Post by Dave Marte » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 07:49:30

GIMP fans, eat your hearts out. :o>

http://www.razorart.com/

Homing Device Found In Photoshop 6 and 7

"It was announced today by Adobe, Inc. that the upgrade to Photoshop 6.1
and Photoshop 7 added a special devices that 'phones home' the
registration number and collected computer data to create a unique #
(similar to what is found in Windows XP)."

"Obviously, this was a move to collect a list of its pirated software.
Adobe has been compiling the list since the release of their free 6.1
upgrade last July. CNN reports that the list has been sent to the FBI,
more here:"

"Adobe Systems, Inc, makers of the popular computer graphics program
Photoshop, announced on Friday that they have compiled and submitted a
list of more than 25,000 Internet Protocol (IP) addresses with duplicate
serial numbers for versions six and seven of their product. A spokesman
from Adobe says "We installed what is called a 'callback' on Photoshop to
try and curb piracy. It essentially sends installation information to our
servers upon first use." The FBI plans to work with national and local
Internet Service Providers (ISP) to find and convict those responsible.
The software is reported to only phone home once, during your idle
period."

All you wintrolls better run out and buy legit copies before the MIB show
up at the door with a search warrant!   ;)

Yet *Another* Photshop feature the GIMP doesn't have!

Post by rapska » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 07:11:30

Error Log for Mon, 03 Jun 2002 01:49:30 -0400: segfault in module "Dave
Martel" - dump details are as follows...

Quote:> "It was announced today by Adobe, Inc. that the upgrade to Photoshop 6.1
> and Photoshop 7 added a special devices that 'phones home' the
> registration number and collected computer data to create a unique #
> (similar to what is found in Windows XP)."

NO FAIR!  I want *MY* software to snitch on me too!

WAAAAH!!!

--
rapskat  -  1:10am  up 1 day,  7:20,  4 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.12, 0.14
drop the hot to mail me

The absolute truth is the thing that makes people laugh. -- Carl Reiner.

Post by chucky » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 08:14:44

> GIMP fans, eat your hearts out. :o>

> Homing Device Found In Photoshop 6 and 7
> All you wintrolls better run out and buy legit copies before the MIB show
> up at the door with a search warrant!   ;)

I suppose when it comes right down to it the "MIB" can do whatever they
want now.

If it was up to me they would and should do greater works by catching
terrorists in a post 911 world.

How many terrorist hackers are there ,I wonder???

I don't mean skilled persons in computer science
but poeple that are really geniuses
like "battle of the child.genuisues " Those were mainly American kids
but you gotta figure there are some super elite hackers out there from
wherever. Shit man I know I am going out there now-- but really man
If I was Sudamm Huiseein or whatever dictatator from whatever country
i would find the poeple with the highest Iq's and MAKE then learn
computer science - to do any less would be irrespoinible if you planned on
staying a dictatator - thats a funny word* Tator. hehe

Seriosly man there has got to be more important things to do
on there list . There just has to be or were all toast.
IMHO

What's next cd writers will be contraban???

Flame On !!!

.

Post by Dave Marte » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 09:26:17

> Error Log for Mon, 03 Jun 2002 01:49:30 -0400: segfault in module "Dave
> Martel" - dump details are as follows...

>> "It was announced today by Adobe, Inc. that the upgrade to Photoshop
>> 6.1 and Photoshop 7 added a special devices that 'phones home' the
>> registration number and collected computer data to create a unique #
>> (similar to what is found in Windows XP)."

> NO FAIR!  I want *MY* software to snitch on me too!

> WAAAAH!!!

We could always put in a feature request:

  GIMP --help] [--batch] [--verbose] [--snitch] [filename]

Yet *Another* Photshop feature the GIMP doesn't have!

Post by Matthew Gardine » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 08:41:37

Quote:> GIMP fans, eat your hearts out. :o>

> http://www.razorart.com/

> Homing Device Found In Photoshop 6 and 7

> "It was announced today by Adobe, Inc. that the upgrade to Photoshop 6.1
> and Photoshop 7 added a special devices that 'phones home' the
> registration number and collected computer data to create a unique #
> (similar to what is found in Windows XP)."

> "Obviously, this was a move to collect a list of its pirated software.
> Adobe has been compiling the list since the release of their free 6.1
> upgrade last July. CNN reports that the list has been sent to the FBI,
> more here:"

> "Adobe Systems, Inc, makers of the popular computer graphics program
> Photoshop, announced on Friday that they have compiled and submitted a
> list of more than 25,000 Internet Protocol (IP) addresses with duplicate
> serial numbers for versions six and seven of their product. A spokesman
> from Adobe says "We installed what is called a 'callback' on Photoshop to
> try and curb piracy. It essentially sends installation information to our
> servers upon first use." The FBI plans to work with national and local
> Internet Service Providers (ISP) to find and convict those responsible.
> The software is reported to only phone home once, during your idle
> period."

> All you wintrolls better run out and buy legit copies before the MIB show
> up at the door with a search warrant!   ;)

Well, I'm pissed off to say the least. When are the GIMP developers going to
include such an awsome feature? I mean, people have to stop pirating GIMP,
its just not fair on the developers ;)

Regarding Photoshop, I guess Shawn Grant and numerous other Photoshop users
aren't going to upgrade due to the fact that they may get caught running an
"off site back up copy".

Matthew Gardiner

Yet *Another* Photshop feature the GIMP doesn't have!

Post by Tim Smit » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 10:15:17

Quote:> Seriosly man there has got to be more important things to do on there list
> . There just has to be or were all toast.  IMHO

I disagree.  There aren't enough resources to enforce *all* laws.  If law
enforcement were to go strictly by the importance of a given law or the
seriousness of the crime involved in breaking it, that would mean that there
would be things that are illegal, but that it is impossible to get punished
for.

That's not good, so I think that they should devote some effort to going
after the less important crimes.  The bulk of the effort should go toward
the important crimes, of course, but the minor ones should not be neglected.

--Tim Smith

Post by Florian S » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 12:17:27

> GIMP fans, eat your hearts out. :o>

> http://www.razorart.com/

> Homing Device Found In Photoshop 6 and 7

> "It was announced today by Adobe, Inc. that the upgrade to Photoshop 6.1
> and Photoshop 7 added a special devices that 'phones home' the
> registration number and collected computer data to create a unique #
> (similar to what is found in Windows XP)."

> "Obviously, this was a move to collect a list of its pirated software.
> Adobe has been compiling the list since the release of their free 6.1
> upgrade last July. CNN reports that the list has been sent to the FBI,
> more here:"

> "Adobe Systems, Inc, makers of the popular computer graphics program
> Photoshop, announced on Friday that they have compiled and submitted a
> list of more than 25,000 Internet Protocol (IP) addresses with duplicate
> serial numbers for versions six and seven of their product. A spokesman
> from Adobe says "We installed what is called a 'callback' on Photoshop to
> try and curb piracy. It essentially sends installation information to our
> servers upon first use." The FBI plans to work with national and local
> Internet Service Providers (ISP) to find and convict those responsible.
> The software is reported to only phone home once, during your idle
> period."

> All you wintrolls better run out and buy legit copies before the MIB show
> up at the door with a search warrant!   ;)

I am pissed off, to say the least. I allways had *some* respect to Adobe,
but that really takes the piss.

--
Add the next two proper digits to the e-mail to mail me. (Think of pi ;)

Post by TuxTr » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 11:32:27

> Error Log for Mon, 03 Jun 2002 01:49:30 -0400: segfault in module "Dave
> Martel" - dump details are as follows...

>> "It was announced today by Adobe, Inc. that the upgrade to Photoshop 6.1
>> and Photoshop 7 added a special devices that 'phones home' the
>> registration number and collected computer data to create a unique #
>> (similar to what is found in Windows XP)."

> NO FAIR!  I want *MY* software to snitch on me too!

> WAAAAH!!!

Amazing how quiet young master Grant is ......

Cheers,

Mathew

--
TuxTrax   (n.) An invincible, all terrain, Linux driven armored *
vehicle that can take as much fire as it gives ;-)

<Carnivore activation string>
ASSASINATION ANTHRAX PRESIDENT NUCLEAR TALIBAN AMMONIUM NITRATE
</Carnivore activation string>

Yes, I am a Penguin cult high priest. Fin readings upon request.

Post by Joe Potte » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 12:30:09

> Error Log for Mon, 03 Jun 2002 01:49:30 -0400: segfault in module "Dave
> Martel" - dump details are as follows...

>> "It was announced today by Adobe, Inc. that the upgrade to Photoshop 6.1
>> and Photoshop 7 added a special devices that 'phones home' the
>> registration number and collected computer data to create a unique #
>> (similar to what is found in Windows XP)."

> NO FAIR!  I want *MY* software to snitch on me too!

> WAAAAH!!!

Stop crying. Grab a copy of the Gimp source, and add a small routine to call
home if logged on the net.

Have the thing call Adobe, and announce "another guy using the Gimp".

Wonder what they would think?

--
Regards, Joe
GNU/Linux user #225822

Post by Richard Revi » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 13:41:13

> Have the thing call Adobe, and announce "another guy using the Gimp".

I wonder if you can write a small program for Linux sending off various 'im
commiting piracy signals' to different companies. It would be vastly
amusing to watch Microsoft try and prosecute someone for using a version of
Windows they didn't even have installed.

--
 <Carnivore>Assasination Bomb Attack Communist Anthrax Cheese</Carnivore>
 11:39am  up 8 days, 22:48,  1 user,  load average: 0.09, 0.09, 0.12

Post by SyntheToon » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 13:56:21

> > Error Log for Mon, 03 Jun 2002 01:49:30 -0400: segfault in module "Dave
> > Martel" - dump details are as follows...

> >> "It was announced today by Adobe, Inc. that the upgrade to Photoshop
6.1
> >> and Photoshop 7 added a special devices that 'phones home' the
> >> registration number and collected computer data to create a unique #
> >> (similar to what is found in Windows XP)."

> > NO FAIR!  I want *MY* software to snitch on me too!

> > WAAAAH!!!

> Stop crying. Grab a copy of the Gimp source, and add a small routine to
call
> home if logged on the net.

Hmmm.   Well, I do have two phone lines.  I guess I could have it
dial me at the second line... Um, but why?

Quote:> Have the thing call Adobe, and announce "another guy using the Gimp".

Ok, I get it now.  Phone Home, means phone the
Adobe CEO's home.  Better idea.

Quote:> Wonder what they would think?

"Gimp?  What's Gimp?  Do we support that?"

Yet *Another* Photshop feature the GIMP doesn't have!

Post by rapska » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 14:54:10

Error Log for Mon, 03 Jun 2002 05:32:27 -0400: segfault in module
"TuxTrax" - dump details are as follows...

>> Error Log for Mon, 03 Jun 2002 01:49:30 -0400: segfault in module "Dave
>> Martel" - dump details are as follows...

>>> "It was announced today by Adobe, Inc. that the upgrade to Photoshop
>>> 6.1 and Photoshop 7 added a special devices that 'phones home' the
>>> registration number and collected computer data to create a unique #
>>> (similar to what is found in Windows XP)."

>> NO FAIR!  I want *MY* software to snitch on me too!

>> WAAAAH!!!

> Amazing how quiet young master Grant is ......

Huh?  Oh, you meant Shawn Grant.  Haha!  Indeed.

--
rapskat  -  8:50am  up 1 day, 15:00,  4 users,  load average: 1.23, 1.07, 1.02
drop the hot to mail me

Be all that you can be, the greatest challenge of them all . . . Yourself. -- Anonymous

Post by D. C. Session » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 17:29:36

>> NO FAIR!  I want *MY* software to snitch on me too!

>> WAAAAH!!!

> Stop crying. Grab a copy of the Gimp source, and add a small routine to call
> home if logged on the net.

> Have the thing call Adobe, and announce "another guy using the Gimp".

> Wonder what they would think?

You are one *evil* dude.
Ever thought of going into engineering?

Classic story: if you can't eliminate the signal, increase the
noise.

Somewhat less whimsically, I wonder if an _optional_ heartbeat
from Linux systems would be worthwhile from a market-penetration
point of view?  Sort of like LinuxCounter, but catching running
systems rather than static registrations.  Emphasis, repeat,
*optional* configurable etc.

--
| May I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, |
|  the strength to change the things I cannot accept, and the   |

Yet *Another* Photshop feature the GIMP doesn't have!

Post by rapska » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 18:20:16

Error Log for Mon, 03 Jun 2002 11:29:36 -0400: segfault in module "D. C.
Sessions" - dump details are as follows...

Quote:> Somewhat less whimsically, I wonder if an _optional_ heartbeat from
> Linux systems would be worthwhile from a market-penetration point of
> view?  Sort of like LinuxCounter, but catching running systems rather
> than static registrations.  Emphasis, repeat, *optional* configurable
> etc.

Hey, thats' not a bad idea.  Just have a program that people could
download and that would connect to a central server.

Hell, it wouldn't even have to connect.  Just send an email to some
address that could be parsed by a daemon running somewhere.  I'd do that.

Of course you would need some sort of authentication/identification scheme
so people couldn't register multiple times and fudge the numbers. Perhaps
a couple of unique lines from dmesg along with a uname -a output?

The toolset is a no brainer - Python, mail, uname, and cron.  I'm sure I'm
probably missing something.

--
rapskat  - 12:10pm  up 1 day, 18:20,  3 users,  load average: 1.24, 1.09, 1.06
drop the hot to mail me

Few minds wear out, more rust out. -- Bovee.

1. Users having probs logging into Linux system, get '/home/...' doesn't exist.

I'm havina a problem with a linux system here that just developed
overnight.  Basically, users are unable to login at all, and when
attempting to login, they get a message saying 'directory
/home/<username> doesn't exist!', even though it does, and the
permissions are set correctly.  The problem doesn't go away if a
different kernel is used, and although there was some filesystem
corruption detected by e2fsck, fixing this had no effect.  It's starting
to look like the permissions on some file used in the login process is
incorrect, but I haven't been able to find anything out of the ordinary
yet...

If anyone has any ideas, could you please e-mail me?  Since this machine
provides most of my e-mail and news, I'm posting from a backup account,
and may not see followup responses.

Thanks in advance.

2. Problem with loading modules

3. Red Hat 7.1's standard vim doesn't include cmdline_hist feature anymore

4. Max number of ports

5. gimp doesn't save right

6. Using VT100 as serial console to Mac IIx/netbsd?

7. GIMP installation doesn't see GTK

8. Automatic Selection of Pointer Device in XF86Config

9. pr doesn't complain -- bug or feature?

10. .fvwmrc file doesn't seem to be having affect

11. XDM doesn't run .login: bug or feature?

12. Curses Doesn't Use Terminal Features?????

13. rtl3139 doesn't work yet "no" error