OpenOffice.org vs Word

Post by Rich Bel » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 01:41:52

I have a Microsoft Word file that is a two column, seven page document of a
walk-through for the game Half Life. It was created by cutting and pasting
text from a website and then reformatting into the two column format. I
wanted to see how OpenOffice would handle this file, both from the Windows
version and the Linux version.

The original Word file can be found at:
http://home.nvbell.net/rg_bell/HLWalk.doc

A screenshot of the Word version:  http://home.nvbell.net/rg_bell/Word.png

A screenshot of the Windows OpenOffice version:
http://home.nvbell.net/rg_bell/OOWin.png

A screen shot of the Linux OpenOffice version:
http://home.nvbell.net/rg_bell/OOLin.png

In both the Windows and Linux versions of OpenOffice, the column structure
is corrupt. The second column on the second page is blank. This continues
until the last page of the document, where the second column text returns.
The document is four pages longer when opened with OpenOffice. This is
easily fixed by selecting a different zoom value. The zoom value seen in
these screen shots is 100%. If I switch to another value the second column
text appears. What does zoom value have to do with column formatting?

The line spacing in the OpenOffice versions are also different from the Word
version (the columns break at different points). Also, the two versions of
OpenOffice use different line spacing. Why can't OpenOffice preserve
something as simple as line spacing?

For you Linonuts that like to claim that font rendering is no longer an
issue with Linux - Compare the quality of the text for the Windows
screenshots with the Linux screenshot. Can you honestly claim that the Linux
version is anywhere near as good as either of the Windows versions?

This document, as copied from the website, uses hard returns instead of
paragraph breaks. I wanted to replace the hard returns (line breaks) with
paragraph marks. Using Word, I was able to specify the special
(non-printing) characters from the search and replace dialog. Using
OpenOffice, I could not find the option to search and replace non-printing
characters. Is this feature not available in OpenOffice or did I miss
something?

Finally, I use a custom theme for my Windows XP desktop. With any theme
other than the default XP theme, I cannot access the File menu in
OpenOffice. If I click on the word 'File' in the menu, nothing happens. If I
click on the Edit menu, it works. I can then move left to the File menu.
This is what people are talking about when they say that Linux programs are
beta quality and buggy.

Observations:

1. OpenOffice is buggy in both Linux and Windows versions. It screws up
columns of text and does not maintain the line spacing of the original Word
document. It is even inconsistent between the Windows and Linux versions.
Zoom level should not have anything to do with column formatting.

2. Font rendering sucks on the Linux version. We all know this, of course.

3. OpenOffice doesn't allow you to search and replace non-printing
characters (unless I missed that option).

4. The Windows version of OpenOffice cannot deal with XP themes.

Conclusions:

For a free program, OpenOffice isn't bad but it is buggy and is no match for
the easy of use, depth of features and quality of Word.

OpenOffice.org vs Word

Post by Bo Grime » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 02:01:35

> In both the Windows and Linux versions of OpenOffice, the column structure
> is corrupt. The second column on the second page is blank. This continues
> until the last page of the document, where the second column text returns.

I saw this problem as well, but in page preview, it looked fine, indicating,
to me, that it was a view problem.  So I unclicked outline view and then
reclicked it and it appeared fine.  Try that and see if you get the same.

That was the only problem I saw, and it was easily correctable, though I
can't tell you why.  But it would have printed fine.

--
Bo G
"Mankind does nothing save through initiatives on the part of inventors,

OpenOffice.org vs Word

Post by Bo Grime » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 02:05:59

>  So I unclicked outline view

That should be outline layout in the view menu.

--
Bo G
"Mankind does nothing save through initiatives on the part of inventors,
great or small, and imitation by the rest of us.  Individuals show the way,
set the patterns.  The rivalry of the patterns is the history of the
world." (William James)  Linus is just such an inventor; Linux is just such
a pattern.

OpenOffice.org vs Word

Post by Iain D Broadfoo » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 02:05:28

Rich said something about OpenOffice.org vs Word:

did you manage to open an OOo file in MS Word?

iain

--
wh33, y1p33 3tc.

OpenOffice.org vs Word

Post by T. Relye » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 02:21:35

> I have a Microsoft Word file that is a two column, seven page document of
> a walk-through for the game Half Life. It was created by cutting and
> pasting text from a website and then reformatting into the two column
> format.

So in other words you have a file that is readable only by a program that
uses a proprietary file format to save your data.  Doesn't sound too smart
to me...

Todd

OpenOffice.org vs Word

Post by Rich Bel » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 02:34:54

>> I have a Microsoft Word file that is a two column, seven page
>> document of a walk-through for the game Half Life. It was created by
>> cutting and pasting text from a website and then reformatting into
>> the two column format.

> So in other words you have a file that is readable only by a program
> that uses a proprietary file format to save your data.  Doesn't sound
> too smart to me...

> Todd

From the OpenOffice.org website:
"It opens most major formats such as MS Office almost flawlessly"

So the claim that OO can open Microsoft Word files is a lie?

OpenOffice.org vs Word

Post by Bo Grime » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 02:36:18

>>> I have a Microsoft Word file that is a two column, seven page
>>> document of a walk-through for the game Half Life. It was created by
>>> cutting and pasting text from a website and then reformatting into
>>> the two column format.

>> So in other words you have a file that is readable only by a program
>> that uses a proprietary file format to save your data.  Doesn't sound
>> too smart to me...

>> Todd

> From the OpenOffice.org website:
> "It opens most major formats such as MS Office almost flawlessly"

> So the claim that OO can open Microsoft Word files is a lie?

No, as you showed with your own links, it opens it.  You had a formatting
problem.  You can fix it with that document by unchecking online layout and
then rechecking it.  I don't know why it does that, but I'm going to see
how to report it as a bug.

--

Post by Peter K?hlman » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 02:33:44

>>> I have a Microsoft Word file that is a two column, seven page
>>> document of a walk-through for the game Half Life. It was created by
>>> cutting and pasting text from a website and then reformatting into
>>> the two column format.

>> So in other words you have a file that is readable only by a program
>> that uses a proprietary file format to save your data.  Doesn't sound
>> too smart to me...

>> Todd

> From the OpenOffice.org website:
> "It opens most major formats such as MS Office almost flawlessly"

> So the claim that OO can open Microsoft Word files is a lie?

No. I have opened by now hundreds of Word files. Nearly all of them where
flawless. And those which had problems did also with different versions
of word
I have yet to find a Excel file which will not open correctly in OO.

--
Microsoft: The company that made email dangerous

OpenOffice.org vs Word

Post by Rich Bel » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 02:41:26

> Rich said something about OpenOffice.org vs Word:

> did you manage to open an OOo file in MS Word?

> iain

Why would I need to do that? I don't know a single person using OpenOffice.
If they were, you can bet that they would be saving in Word format if they
have any sense or desire to communicate with the rest of the world.

OpenOffice.org vs Word

Post by Rich Bel » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 02:56:20

>>> So in other words you have a file that is readable only by a program
>>> that uses a proprietary file format to save your data.  Doesn't
>>> sound too smart to me...

>>> Todd

>> From the OpenOffice.org website:
>> "It opens most major formats such as MS Office almost flawlessly"

>> So the claim that OO can open Microsoft Word files is a lie?

> No, as you showed with your own links, it opens it.  You had a
> formatting problem.  You can fix it with that document by unchecking
> online layout and then rechecking it.  I don't know why it does that,
> but I'm going to see how to report it as a bug.

I was responding to:

Quote:>>>So in other words you have a file that is readable only by a program
>>> that uses a proprietary file format to save your data.

Obviously, I knew OO could open the file. It was Todd who claimed otherwise.

OpenOffice.org vs Word

Post by Rob Hughe » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 02:59:51

Rich Bell is alleged to have said in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

>> Rich said something about OpenOffice.org vs Word:

>> did you manage to open an OOo file in MS Word?

>> iain

> Why would I need to do that? I don't know a single person using
> OpenOffice. If they were, you can bet that they would be saving in Word
> format if they have any sense or desire to communicate with the rest of
> the world.

I know several. I usually choose .rtf though. A lot of smart admins are
filtering on .doc,.vbs, exe, etc. at the gateway.

--
begin  664 .sig
Standards are wonderful. There's enough for everyone to have their own.

Remember: the only difference between being the champ and the chump is u.
end

OpenOffice.org vs Word

Post by Rick » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 03:11:47

>>> I have a Microsoft Word file that is a two column, seven page document
>>> of a walk-through for the game Half Life. It was created by cutting and
>>> pasting text from a website and then reformatting into the two column
>>> format.

>> So in other words you have a file that is readable only by a program
>> that uses a proprietary file format to save your data.  Doesn't sound
>> too smart to me...

>> Todd

> From the OpenOffice.org website:
> "It opens most major formats such as MS Office almost flawlessly"

> So the claim that OO can open Microsoft Word files is a lie?

NO... check online layout, then uncheck online layout, and see what
happens. Your document is opened almost flawlessly.

--
Rick

OpenOffice.org vs Word

Post by Bo Grime » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 03:11:28

>>> From the OpenOffice.org website:
>>> "It opens most major formats such as MS Office almost flawlessly"

>>> So the claim that OO can open Microsoft Word files is a lie?

>> No, as you showed with your own links, it opens it.  You had a
>> formatting problem.  You can fix it with that document by unchecking
>> online layout and then rechecking it.  I don't know why it does that,
>> but I'm going to see how to report it as a bug.

> I was responding to:

> Obviously, I knew OO could open the file. It was Todd who claimed
> otherwise.

Yeah, you obviously *weren't* responding to how to fix it, which I have now
told you twice how to do, but you want to keep trolling.

--

Post by Rich Bel » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 03:20:29

>>> No, as you showed with your own links, it opens it.  You had a
>>> formatting problem.  You can fix it with that document by unchecking
>>> online layout and then rechecking it.  I don't know why it does
>>> that, but I'm going to see how to report it as a bug.

>> I was responding to:

>> Obviously, I knew OO could open the file. It was Todd who claimed
>> otherwise.

> Yeah, you obviously *weren't* responding to how to fix it, which I
> have now told you twice how to do, but you want to keep trolling.

I already told you that I was able to fix it by changing the zoom level. The
point is that it is buggy beta quality software.
I see you all have choosen to ignore the other problems I saw. What about
the screwed line spacing, crappy fonts and search and replace issues?

OpenOffice.org vs Word

Post by Mark » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 03:37:28

>>>I was responding to:

>>>Obviously, I knew OO could open the file. It was Todd who claimed
>>>otherwise.

>>Yeah, you obviously *weren't* responding to how to fix it, which I
>>have now told you twice how to do, but you want to keep trolling.

> I already told you that I was able to fix it by changing the zoom level.

And zoom levels in MS Word are flawless?
  The

Quote:> point is that it is buggy beta quality software.

You pay for MS Word bugs.

Quote:> I see you all have choosen to ignore the other problems I saw. What about
> the screwed line spacing, crappy fonts and search and replace issues?

Does it print ok? Search and replace Edit-Find and Replace.

1. openOffice.org announces openOffice.org 1.0

"May 1, 2002 - The OpenOffice.org community today
announced the availability of OpenOffice.org 1.0,
the open source, multi-platform, multi-lingual office
productivity suite available as a free download at
the OpenOffice.org community website. OpenOffice.org
1.0 is the culmination of more than 18 months of
collaborative effort by members of the OpenOffice.org
community, which is comprised of Sun employees, volunteer
developers, marketers, and end users working to create
an international office suite that will run on all major
platforms."

http://www.openoffice.org/
(if it's not busy, that is)

--
+==================================
| M i c h a e l  J.  T o b l e r
| Authorship: "Inside Linux" ...
| "C++ Unleashed" ... "C++ How-To"
| Motocycling, Surfing, Skydiving
+==================================

2. Can't local these modules e-mails...

3. Wordperfect/DOS files vs OpenOffice.org

4. Help! Error message

5. Creating databases with OpenOffice.org and StarOffice

6. configure cannot guess host type with egcs

7. connect timeout to openoffice.org

8. Fork and Closing Open Sockets

9. "So What's this OpenOffice.org thing?"

10. OpenOffice.org availability

11. OpenOffice.org came through again

12. OpenOffice.org sol x86 binaries out now

13. openoffice.org data source crash