Top tip for improving the popularity of Linux

Post by Jeff » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 03:22:48

> Instead of insulting newbies, and telling them to
> * off, be kind to them and help them with their
> problems.

Newbies like flatfish, Kadaitcha Man, Go Vols, Wang MyCock, EG, ect.. ?

Top tip for improving the popularity of Linux

Post by Springfiel » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 05:10:20

Ah ha! Hello Adolf, I've been hovering around this group waiting for
you to * up and say something as stupid as this so I can
retaliate.

> Instead of insulting newbies, and telling them to
> * off, be kind to them and help them with their
> problems.

Maybe before we help the people who are willing to learn Linux and its
ins and outs we should help you. First of all your silly little
immature post (yes, I know I'm just as bad replying to it) is off
topic, here is why:

ad-vo-ca-cy:
        the act or process of advocating or supporting a cause or
        proposal.

So my advice to you is go and sit in alt.test.

Start dancing you little *.

Springfield

--
public key: 94B755E3

"I would have slept longer if I hadn't woken up"
  --Adele Flood

Post by Matt Mizz » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 08:13:59

> And advocating a cause does not involve attacking
> potential converts.

Unfortunately, f*ck-offs like you are beyond all help, therefore beyond
conversion. You will always be Willy Gates's lap-dog.

Top tip for improving the popularity of Linux

Post by Johan Lindquis » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 09:19:05

On Fri, 06 Sep 2002 at 05:10 GMT, gazing longingly at the horizon,

felt a deep, passionate desire to let the following be known:

Quote:> Ah ha! Hello Adolf, I've been hovering around this group waiting
> for you to * up and say something as stupid as this so I can
> retaliate.

That took all of, what, ten seconds?

Just do like the rest of us and mute this one. If you want a good
reason, try googling for "dr. square", I think some of his material
should be archived by people responding to him. I'm sure his BUAP is
available for your viewing pleasure, at least.

Scorefile template to catch him after he changes his moniker yet again
available on request.

hth.

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
  9:12am  up 3 days, 12:24,  4 users,  load average: 2.16, 2.28, 2.26

Post by Springfiel » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 14:24:16

> On Fri, 06 Sep 2002 at 05:10 GMT, gazing longingly at the horizon,

> felt a deep, passionate desire to let the following be known:

>> Ah ha! Hello Adolf, I've been hovering around this group waiting
>> for you to * up and say something as stupid as this so I can
>> retaliate.

> That took all of, what, ten seconds?

About that yes.

Quote:> Just do like the rest of us and mute this one. If you want a good
> reason, try googling for "dr. square", I think some of his material
> should be archived by people responding to him. I'm sure his BUAP is
> available for your viewing pleasure, at least.

But it's so much fun! Everyone likes to feed the trolls.

Springfield

--

Post by Paul Cook » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 16:53:44

> Instead of insulting newbies, and telling them to * off, be kind to
> them and help them with their problems.

when are you going to heed your own advice then???

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

Post by Garf » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 17:29:35

> Instead of insulting newbies, and telling them to
> * off, be kind to them and help them with their
> problems.

And where does this news group's name say the word 'support', or 'help' in
it?

Forgotten how to read?
--
H&Ks
Garf

Top tip for improving the popularity of Linux

Post by flatfish.. » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 19:34:41

Quote:>Ah ha! Hello Adolf, I've been hovering around this group waiting for
>you to * up and say something as stupid as this so I can
>retaliate.

So then you admit that up until this point he has not said anything
stupid.

You are very smart.
I agree with you.

Post by GreyClou » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 00:31:09

> On Fri, 06 Sep 2002 14:53:44 +0000, in
> comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Paul Cooke

> >> Instead of insulting newbies, and telling them to * off, be kind to
> >> them and help them with their problems.

> >when are you going to heed your own advice then???

> I'm not here to convert people to Linux.

As if we didn't know.

Top tip for improving the popularity of Linux

Post by The Ghost In The Machin » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:23:21

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Adolf Torvalds

 wrote
on Fri, 06 Sep 2002 01:48:08 +0100

Quote:> Instead of insulting newbies, and telling them to
> * off, be kind to them and help them with their
> problems.

I agree.  However, a fair number of individuals in here
would suggest that they just install Windows XP, on the
grounds that it has:

[1] better hardware support
[2] prettier fonts
[3] more software available
[4] beautiful icons
[5] works with anything as long as it's Intel
[6] did I mention gorgeous backdrops?
[7] works with anything as long as it's Microsoft
[8] wonderfully simple lock-in licensing; just snap it into
your computer and go
[9] might finally be the perfect OS everyone's been promised
since about 1989.

:-)

--

It's still legal to go .sigless.

Post by Stan » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:50:33

>  wrote
> on Fri, 06 Sep 2002 01:48:08 +0100

>> Instead of insulting newbies, and telling them to * off, be kind to
>> them and help them with their problems.

> I agree.  However, a fair number of individuals in here would suggest
> that they just install Windows XP, on the grounds that it has:

> [1] better hardware support
> [2] prettier fonts
> [3] more software available
> [4] beautiful icons
> [5] works with anything as long as it's Intel [6] did I mention gorgeous
> backdrops? [7] works with anything as long as it's Microsoft [8]
> wonderfully simple lock-in licensing; just snap it into your computer
> and go
> [9] might finally be the perfect OS everyone's been promised since about
> 1989.

> :-)

Having measured the Growth of Linux, the fact the X desktop has
surpassed MAC-OS finally, and watching the removal of several
Windows servers in favor of Linux servers, I've come to a conclusion.

Microsoft appears to be dying as a company.

--
Stan

Top tip for improving the popularity of Linux

Post by Johan Lindquis » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:19:09

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 at 14:50 GMT, gazing longingly at the horizon,

felt a deep, passionate desire to let the following be known:

Quote:> Having measured the Growth of Linux, the fact the X desktop has
> surpassed MAC-OS finally, and watching the removal of several
> Windows servers in favor of Linux servers, I've come to a
> conclusion.

> Microsoft appears to be dying as a company.

Oh no, they killed microsoft! YOU BASTARDS!!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
  3:14pm  up 3 days, 21:34,  7 users,  load average: 1.77, 1.33, 1.16

Top tip for improving the popularity of Linux

Post by The Ghost In The Machin » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 02:01:09

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Johan Lindquist

 wrote
on Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:19:09 GMT

> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 at 14:50 GMT, gazing longingly at the horizon,

> felt a deep, passionate desire to let the following be known:

>> Having measured the Growth of Linux, the fact the X desktop has
>> surpassed MAC-OS finally, and watching the removal of several
>> Windows servers in favor of Linux servers, I've come to a
>> conclusion.

>> Microsoft appears to be dying as a company.

> Oh no, they killed microsoft! YOU BASTARDS!!

> (sorry, couldn't resist)

Heh.  But does Bill wear an orange parka?  :-)

--

It's still legal to go .sigless.

Top tip for improving the popularity of Linux

Post by jack_do.. » Fri, 27 Sep 2002 06:44:14

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 00:01:09 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine

>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Johan Lindquist

> wrote
>on Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:19:09 GMT

>> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 at 14:50 GMT, gazing longingly at the horizon,

>> felt a deep, passionate desire to let the following be known:

>>> Having measured the Growth of Linux, the fact the X desktop has
>>> surpassed MAC-OS finally, and watching the removal of several
>>> Windows servers in favor of Linux servers, I've come to a
>>> conclusion.

>>> Microsoft appears to be dying as a company.

>> Oh no, they killed microsoft! YOU BASTARDS!!

>> (sorry, couldn't resist)

>Heh.  But does Bill wear an orange parka?  :-)

and where was "god"?

and are we upset?

I think that is about the only line from South Park I would have
recognized.

1. need improved TIP

I need a replacement for tip.  My problems include:
        tip doesn't understand all of the high-speed modems I have
        tip times out before my high-speed modem gets synced
        tip doesn't understand [xyz]modem file transfers
        tip doesn't have a scripting language
Existing versions that I have found (using archie) are all two or
more years old, from when SLIP support was new.

2. How do I bypass mime type for html?

3. Wanted: Top Ten Linux Security Tips

4. netscape communicator email notification

5. Tips to improve security?

6. Choosing Access Points and making the settings stick?

7. WPS for Linux (To help Linux's popularity)

8. linux and pppd

9. Top tip: don't exit X!

10. Laptop : Top 5 Buying Tips

11. Top tip

12. Squid Setting IP Forward (Top Top Top Urgent)

13. Why does Linux need to gain popularity?