Linux making inroads

Post by Terry Port » Mon, 05 Nov 2001 13:23:27

From the December issue of the Linux Gazette:-
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue72/lg_bytes72.html#general

 Three separate stories pointing towards possibly more widespread
adoption of Linux in the near future. First, in what one might call
the birthplace of Linux (and certainly Linus!), The Register reports
That Finnish local government is leaning away from Windows and
towards Linux. The city of Turku, population around 200,000, has
reacted to Microsoft's latest licensing changes by kicking off a
study of Linux alternatives.

Also in Europe, IDG.net have reported that Germany's lower parliament
(the Bundestag) is considering switching from Windows to Linux for
its 5000 computers. The main reasons are for security, stability and
(again) to save money in the face of MS's new upgrade terms. The
parliamentary committee will decide late this year or early next year
which OS will replace its current version of Windows NT.

Finally, Technews.com have run a Thai story: that Thailand's
government will back the idea of using free, Thai-language 'open
source' software as a way of reducing spending and software piracy.
An official is quoted: "To be independent from foreign software, the
country needs to build a knowledge base along with developing human
resources and work based on open source software."

Also check out:-
The stupid things we do with our computers ;-)

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue72/orr.html

--
* OSS is long-term credible ... FUD tactics can not be used to combat it.
  Free Micro Burner http://w3w.arafuraconnect.com.au/~tp/burn.html

1. Linux making inroads on the desktop...

The snowball has started to roll... :)

<http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/4587909.htm>

|Government agencies in Europe, China, India and South America have
|started to encourage Linux over proprietary software because it
|provides cost savings, freedom from reliance on a single software
|vendor, and flexibility.
|
|Linux is part of the open-source movement, which offers the global
|community of programmers the ability to access and modify source code.
|
|``Outside North America is where you have both Microsoft environments
|being threatened. Governments are evaluating alternatives for both the
|operating system and applications,'' said Stacey Quandt, an analyst who
|tracks open source and Linux for Giga Information Group.
|
|Overseas, systems pre-installed with Linux are selling. Hewlett-Packard
|offers PCs bundled with Turbolinux at stores in China. It also sells
|PCs pre-installed with Linux in stores in German-speaking parts of
|Europe.

<snip good stuff>

|Red Hat, the largest Linux provider, is attempting to reach more
|mainstream computer users with its latest version of Linux, Red Hat
|8.0.
|
|``We will introduce Linux to a user population that we have historically
|been unable to reach,'' including home and school users, Chief
|Executive Matthew Szulik told investors in September.
|
|SuSE, a 10-year-old German company with U.S. headquarters in Oakland,
|will begin to offer products aimed at consumers next year, said Holger
|Dyroff, SuSE's general manager for the Americas.
|
|The company began selling its product pre-installed on laptops in
|Germany earlier this year and hopes to convince PC manufacturers here
|to do the same. In a partnership with CodeWeavers, which makes products
|to bridge the gap between Windows and Linux, SuSE will offer a desktop
|operating system that runs Windows applications.

now I know the laptops are available pre-installed... I can go search one
out... :)

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

2. gcc programming for A/D card]

3. Why Linux Made Inroads At Financial Institutions

4. How to configure Redhat 7.3 with dual ethernet card

5. Linux making inroads in India

6. various OS

7. Inroads on the Desktop (was Re: New prices for UnixWare)

8. Problem mounting CD Shuttle on Parrallel port...

9. Making changes to env variables and making them stick

10. Making a new kernel - CVSuped, not made world yet.

11. linux-biz@lege.com created (making Linux a viable business-computing OS)

13. Gigabit linux bridge (making a gigabit switch out of a linux box)