Printing etc - switches on the command line.

Printing etc - switches on the command line.

Post by Alex Cockel » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

I know it is possible with a VAX (I was an end-user), but is it possible under Unix
 variants to allow users to declare what paper stock they would like a print job run
off on?  As in - the user does not know which printer has that paper mounted. All
they are worried about is whether they'd like a job sent out on continuous or A4
contiuous, or cut-sheet (for example).

I know I may sound clueless... I apologise for that, as I am not running Linux yet.

just that I remember a whole load of stuff from my Nottingham Poly days, where I
used a VMS cluster.

Alex

29 Egremont Road, Exmouth, Devon EX8 1RX, UK                    Phone   : +44 (0)1395 279970

1. what sed command to print the first line and the last line

when I use the grep and awk I get the time stamp list but I only need
first line and last line. I dont know the number of line as it changes
so it is hard to print the last line.

thanks in advance

bash-2.03$ egrep -i "start|attempt" 1003F4F.ACT | awk '{FS=","}{print
$7}'
23:29:21.1 <----------- first line to be printed
23:29:41.8
23:29:43.6
23:29:42.1
23:29:46.8
23:29:42.4
23:29:58.6
23:29:53.8
23:29:35.8
23:30:08.2
23:29:43.5
23:29:57.9
23:30:07.5
23:30:18.2
23:30:14.2
23:30:10.7
23:30:21.9
23:30:19.8
23:30:21.9
23:30:24.0
23:30:21.7
23:30:37.0
23:30:23.7
23:30:43.2
23:30:35.9
23:30:45.2
23:30:48.1
23:30:43.6
23:28:58.7  <---------------- last needs to print(changes)
bash-2.03$

2. Calling CGI script in restrcted dir (.htaccess) from outside shtml (SSI) ?

3. Switches on the command line

4. dbMAN

5. "make" command line switches in a makefile?

6. REDHAT 4.0 using 2 ether cards

7. KDE application command line switches?

8. LCD monitors

9. command line switches with kdm

10. command line switch for help...

11. one liner which prints n lines before and m lines after the line found by grep

12. Switching tasks from the command line

13. switching desktops from the command line