Linux kernel 2.4

Post by Donald Wes » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi!

Anyone know when this kernel is being released? Has it
been put back?

Want a new web-based email account ? ---> http://www.firstlinux.net

Linux kernel 2.4

Post by sfcyb.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

In the land of open-source the code is released when it is ready.

> Hi!

> Anyone know when this kernel is being released? Has it
> been put back?

> Want a new web-based email account ? ---> http://www.firstlinux.net

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Linux kernel 2.4

Post by Cihl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi!

> Anyone know when this kernel is being released? Has it
> been put back?

> Want a new web-based email account ? ---> http://www.firstlinux.net

There is still a quite substantial list of possibly
humiliating bugs and other issues that have to be dealt with
first.
There really is no deadline for kernel 2.4 at all. Remember,
it's not a commercial product.

for more information, see
http://kt.linuxcare.com/kernel-traffic/index.epl

--
% make fire
Don't know how to make fire

Linux kernel 2.4

Post by Francis Van Aeke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Anyone know when this kernel is being released? Has it
> been put back?

2.4 was supposed to come out in 1999. Then, it was put back
to the first quarter of 2000. Then, it was put back to summer
2000.

So, who knows, maybe it will come out this summer.

Francis.

N.B. The information in this post is based on mails from
Linus himself.

Linux kernel 2.4

Post by Marada C. Shradraka » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>2.4 was supposed to come out in 1999. Then, it was put back
>to the first quarter of 2000. Then, it was put back to summer
>2000.

Think of it this way:  If you want something that looks and feels like 2.4, you
can get a 2.3 kernel.  When it's truly ready for prime time, then it will go
2.4.

I bolted some later 2.1 kernels onto Red Hat 5.1, and didn't really notice any
difference when the version number flipped over.
--
Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
Colony name not needed in address.

Linux kernel 2.4

Post by Glitc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

so when have the developers said it may be ready?

> In the land of open-source the code is released when it is ready.

> > Hi!

> > Anyone know when this kernel is being released? Has it
> > been put back?

> > Want a new web-based email account ? ---> http://www.firstlinux.net

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Linux kernel 2.4

Post by Bobby D. Bryan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> so when have the developers said it may be ready?

I believe they said, "As soon as we get the bugs out."

I'm not a developer (IANAD), so I can make a guess without being accused
of peddling vaporware; I predict that it will be out this summer.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

Linux kernel 2.4

Post by mlw » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi!

> Anyone know when this kernel is being released? Has it
> been put back?

> Want a new web-based email account ? ---> http://www.firstlinux.net

I have been looking at the 2.3.xx series. The 2.3.99pre5 seems a bit
unfinished. Some of the drivers do not compile.
--
Mohawk Software
Windows 9x, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

Linux kernel 2.4

Post by Darren Winsp » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have been looking at the 2.3.xx series. The 2.3.99pre5 seems a bit
> unfinished. Some of the drivers do not compile.

I tried pre5 and it caused all sorts of problems.  The main one was
/dev/usbmouse stopped working for me and the machine would lock up very
easily, and the resulting fsck would show *lots* of filesystem
corruption.  I'll stick to pre3 for now.

--
Darren Winsper (El Capitano) - ICQ #8899775
Stellar Legacy project member - http://www.stellarlegacy.tsx.org

1. Via 82C686B ATA 100 on linux Kernel 2.4.x

Hi,
  On Linux kenel 2.4.0 ata 100(udma 5) worked great. I got between 32
and 37 mb per second transfer rate. However,I recently upgraded to a new
kernel to gain additional features and I now get transfer rates of
around 27 - 29 mb/sec. I get the slower transfer rates on both kernels
2.4.12 and 2.4.13 . I checked, and the drive is running in UDMA mode 5.
My motherboard is an ABIT KT7A-RAID. The ATA 100 chipset is the Via
82C686B . It is really frustrating me. I thought that newer kernels had
better support not porrer. Note: I used a different driver for kernel
2.4.0 than the "stock" one, however, a version of that driver is
included in The newer kernels. Using the older driver file makes no
difference. Was the core IDE code changed in the versions between 2.4.0
and 2.4.12? One reason Iwanted A newer kernel is beacuse I heard that
the new VM code made Desktop Environments feel alot "snappier". Please
Help me.

    Thanks,
        Dan Yocom

2. Zip & Printer problems...

3. CIPE with linux kernel 2.4 - a few problems

4. font in Konsole problem

5. ATT:Linux Kernel 2.4, where is ipchains?

6. Question about Adaptec SCSI controller and OSR 5.0.5

7. GPIB driver supports Linux Kernel 2.4

8. w-ftpd | RH 7.3 | can't see files, directories

9. Linux-Kernels 2.4.xx, apm & P4 issues

10. Linux Kernel 2.4 Firewalling Matures: netfilter

11. Linux Kernel 2.4 Packet handling

12. installing Star Office 5.2 on Linux Kernel 2.4.x

13. Insite into Linux Kernel 2.4