How to make Linux conform to h=255 s=63 disk geometry on a SCSI >1GB

How to make Linux conform to h=255 s=63 disk geometry on a SCSI >1GB

Post by Visi » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Ok, Thanks to any one who can help me out on this one..

This is what I have:
2.1GB Seagate ST32550W
Adaptec 2842 VLB
Slackware 3.0.0

486DX/33

This is what I want done:
Be able to partition the drive for three primarys.
Linux about 500megs , DOS about 500megs and Windows95 about 1GB.
and use LILO as the manager...

This is what I've tried...:
Well I've tried everything I could think of,  (thats why I'm here) and
I've read lots of manuals and HOWTO's  But from what I've gathered, I
am not able to append something like "hd=261,255,63" on a SCSI drive
in LILO to make Linux conform to the Dos geometry.. Now when I did try
it, I noticed the message on boot saying:

ide dev/hda cannot physically read 255 heads.
so I know I'm probably not using the right switch.

 The reson I'm tring this is because I need these settings in Dos to
see the drive as ">1GB" (but I'm sure if your reading this you already
know this..) I've done this with the bios in the aha controller using
"allow greater than 1GB in dos " switch.

Now if I don't use this ">1GB" switch, than M$-DOS will not see above
1 GB, so that means=I'm burnt.

So, can someone point me in the right direction to solve this problem,
basically HOW DO I TELL LINUX TO USE THE SETTINGS COMING FROM THE AHA
BIOS. (TO USE H=255 S=63)

Now I'm no GURU in linux ( but if anyone needs a hand in dos, no
problem)  but is about time I leave the feble OS. (personal opinion
after going through a week of fighting with Linux..)

Thanx for any information that is presented to me.. PLEASE. I'm
desperate..
 Vision..
e-mail me at cisla AT symantec DOT com

[...]

Post by Alain Bor » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: This is what I have:
: 2.1GB Seagate ST32550W
: Adaptec 2842 VLB
: Slackware 3.0.0
<snip>
:
: ide dev/hda cannot physically read 255 heads.
: so I know I'm probably not using the right switch.

Maybe it's not the problem here, but I think that there is sthg wrong:
you have a SCSI disk and the error message mentions /dev/hda, which is
IDE. Maybe you could try a line like "sd=261,255,63" in your lilo
config? (/dev/sda = first SCSI hard disk)

Hope this helps...

Alain Borel

1. How to make Linux conform to h=255 s=63 disk geometry on a SCSI >1GB

[...]

2. Linux for beginners

3. fdisk problems with large disks (255 heads, 63 sectors/track) ?

4. >2GB file support

5. Mysterious bootps Packet 255.255.255.255 -> 0.0.0.0

6. httpd problem

7. Inconsistent subnet mask 255.255.255.128 on interface en0, should be 255.255.255.192

8. shell script - exiting and nohup

9. Broadcast to 255.255.255.255 in Linux

10. Apache logging client 0.0.0.0 or 255.255.255.255 for all requests

11. 255.255.255.255 in the server log

12. martian source 255.255.255.255 from 10.64.39.106, on dev eth0

13. Why my broadcast address is 255.255.255.255?