New group for Win bashing...

Post by Donovan Rebbec » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>i'm thinkin about stsarting a news group for windows bashing.  I'm thinking
>about calling it comp.os.windows.bashing.  If anybody likes this idea PLEASE

>start a news group?

You can't just start any news group any time you feel like it unless you
go through the alt heirarchy. COmp heirarchy groups require you to write
a "RFD" ( request for discussion ) and go through some due process designed
to keep trash like "sucks" groups out of the non-alt based heirarchies.

I believe you should already be able to find some windows bashing groups
under alt. There are already a couple of MS bashing groups their
( alt.microsoft.sucks and alt.destroy.microsoft. I think there's also something
like alt.windows.carsh.crash.crash )

--
Donovan

New group for Win bashing...

Post by JoeX10 » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

i'm thinkin about stsarting a news group for windows bashing.  I'm thinking
about calling it comp.os.windows.bashing.  If anybody likes this idea PLEASE

start a news group?

New group for Win bashing...

Post by Opinionate » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

What's wrong with using alt.sad-people.microsoft.lovers for Win bashing?

> >i'm thinkin about stsarting a news group for windows bashing.  I'm thinking
> >about calling it comp.os.windows.bashing.  If anybody likes this idea PLEASE

> >start a news group?

> You can't just start any news group any time you feel like it unless you
> go through the alt heirarchy. COmp heirarchy groups require you to write
> a "RFD" ( request for discussion ) and go through some due process designed
> to keep trash like "sucks" groups out of the non-alt based heirarchies.

> I believe you should already be able to find some windows bashing groups
> under alt. There are already a couple of MS bashing groups their
> ( alt.microsoft.sucks and alt.destroy.microsoft. I think there's also something
> like alt.windows.carsh.crash.crash )

> --
> Donovan

New group for Win bashing...

Post by mblu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> i'm thinkin about stsarting a news group for windows bashing.  I'm thinking
> about calling it comp.os.windows.bashing.  If anybody likes this idea PLEASE

> start a news group?

That is exactly what the world needs. More arguments.
I use both Windows and Linux on my computer, and you know what I found out?
These two OS's exist side by side  more peacefully than there adherents do.

New group for Win bashing...

Post by Rex Ballar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > i'm thinkin about stsarting a news group for
> > windows bashing.  I'm thinking
> > about calling it comp.os.windows.bashing.

This would be redundant.  There are already a number of good
places to discuss the problems with Windows.  For example, the
advocacy groups are a good place to engaged in a discussion with
people who might be willing to engage in a useful discussion.
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy would be an excellent place to air your
grievances - since this would also be the place where you could get
the largest audience of interested listeners.  Expect to get a
voluminous and rabid response, but if you have a thick skin, it's
very effective.

There is also alt.destroy.microsoft, alt.fan.bill-gates, and
comp.os.ms-windows.bugs

Keep in mind that in the Usenet world, Windows is a generic term
which could refer to X11, Mac, Microsoft, or Sun window based
environments.  Mac and Sun predate any version of Microsoft windows,
and X11 predates any commercially viable version of Microsoft Windows
(Windows 3.0 specifically).

> >  If anybody likes this idea PLEASE

This is really NOT a good idea.  First of all, a negative discussion
group is merely the opposite of an advocacy group.  Eventually you
simply have people cross-posting between the groups.  As it is you
have people cross-posting to comp.os.linux.advocacy,
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy, comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,
alt.destroy.microsoft, and alt.fan.bill-gates

Microsoft sucks up enough bandwidth without yet another hate-club.

Quote:> > Also, does anybody have info on how you
> > start a news group?

To host an alt group, you need a host, and you need to be able
to host that group, and you need to post to a newgroups group
to let other hosts know that you are starting a new group.  You
also need an nntp server that can service all of the other servers
that want to publish and subscribe this group.  Ideally, you need
a UNIX system or Linux system connected to a large T1 trunk.

Alternatively, you could start a community on DejaNews.  These
communities don't get published to the entire usenet, but provide
a useful common community center that includes numerous options.

Again, unless you are planning on an invitation-only moderated group
where you can kill all positive defense to windows-bashers, you're
just being redundant.  If all you want is to hear windows-bashers
with no defense or replies, you're really just sucking up drive space
on the news servers.

Let's face it, bashing Microsoft is like
 shooting fish,
 in a mop bucket,
 with a bazooka
    (A quote from the "Selling Linux to Corporations"
     workshop at a recent Linux Expo)

Quote:> That is exactly what the world needs. More arguments.
> I use both Windows and Linux on my computer, and
> you know what I found out?
> These two OS's exist side by side  more
> peacefully than there adherents do.

Linux is doing quite a bit to coexist as nicely as possible.  But
remember, Microsoft doesn't want us there.  They want that PC all to
themselves.  They want the manufacturers to load some version of
Microsoft Windows on every machine sold, exclusively, and with no
modification of the boot sequence (dual-boot...).  The DOJ is trying
to muzzle the beast, and the OEMs are opting to install Linux on
some of their machines.  I just recieved a catalog of PCs that offer
Linux preinstalled.  The price is actually a few dollars more than
the Windows 98 versions, but much of this is because they expect to
provide better user support.

We have VMWare that lets us run Linux and Windows concurrently,
we have dual-boot systems that can let you select one or the other
at boot-up.  We have linload which lets you boot Linux by clicking an
application icon, and we have installations that put the Linux partition
inside the Fat32 partition as a huge file.  In fact, if you defragment
the hard drive, performance isn't too horrible.  There is even the
capability to install the Linux files to the Fat32 partition.
Unfortunately, this subverts all attempts at security and
confidentiality.

The Linux Advocacy group gets plenty of hostility from Microsoft
Advocates, some of whom are actually salaried employees of Microsoft.

--
Rex Ballard - Open Source Advocate, Internet
I/T Architect, MIS Director

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

New group for Win bashing...

Post by Frank C. Ear » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Let's face it, bashing Microsoft is like
> shooting fish,
> in a mop bucket,
> with a bazooka
>    (A quote from the "Selling Linux to Corporations"
>     workshop at a recent Linux Expo)

Picturesque, to say the least.

It's the reason why I quit overtly bashing MS- they do enough damage on their
own in that regard without any help from me or anyone else.  And it's not that
hard to do either- MS just keeps shooting themselves in the foot with a
machine pistol set on full auto...

--
Frank Earl

New group for Win bashing...

Post by Bloody Vikin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: It's the reason why I quit overtly bashing MS- they do enough damage on their
: own in that regard without any help from me or anyone else.  And it's not that
: hard to do either- MS just keeps shooting themselves in the foot with a
: machine pistol set on full auto...

Sounds like Scientology, the Church of the Holy Lawsuit.

--
CAUTION: Email Spam Killer in use. Leave this line in your reply! 152680
 First Law of Economics: You can't sell product to people without money.

4968238 bytes of spam mail deleted.           http://www.wwa.com/~nospam/

New group for Win bashing...

Post by Mark S. Bi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>: It's the reason why I quit overtly bashing MS- they do enough damage on their
>: own in that regard without any help from me or anyone else.  And it's not that
>: hard to do either- MS just keeps shooting themselves in the foot with a
>: machine pistol set on full auto...

>Sounds like Scientology, the Church of the Holy Lawsuit.

Neither of them likes Usenet.  The Scientology cult tried
to censor it to prevent ex-victims from talking about their
experiences, and Microsoft has decided to eliminate Usenet
access from its MSN.com Internet service provider division;
something tells me this newsgroup is not one of their
favorites...

New group for Win bashing...

Post by Bloody Vikin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: Neither of them likes Usenet.  The Scientology cult tried
: to censor it to prevent ex-victims from talking about their
: experiences, and Microsoft has decided to eliminate Usenet
: access from its MSN.com Internet service provider division;
: something tells me this newsgroup is not one of their
: favorites...

And all the MS-Flame(tm) newsgroups. (e.g. alt.destroy.microsoft etc.)