LASP Project (was: What Linux needs to gain popularity)

LASP Project (was: What Linux needs to gain popularity)

Post by Jim Phillip » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Ok, this is pretty pitiful here folks.. I started this thread about 2 or
3 weeks ago.  When I did I specifically requested this not turn into an
OS war.  Oh well, we can dream can't we?  Anyway, to make my point more
clear, my local newsserver has been down for the last 3 days so when I
was finally able to check the news, I found 82 posts as part of this
thread.  Only ONE! had the slightest thing to do with the original
post..  Around 85% of them were OS wars.. So I'm taking this thread to a
different subject title.. Those of you who want to make any real input
follow this thread from now on.. OS wars can continue under the previous
thread if they want.. I'll have no more of it.. I don't care if Microsoft
NT is more stable or faster or easier to set up than Linux.  I don't care
if it has back doors allowing MS into a private system via MSN, I don't
care if OS/2 is better than MS Windows..

What I do care about is making Linux easier to use for those who are
timid about making the switch from another OS but want to for whatever
reason.  I care about giving those of us who have been using Linux since
day one (or for long enough to fall in love with it) some productivity
tools and some commercial quality apps that aren't already out there for
Linux.  I care about giving Linux users a CHOICE of what they want their
system to be like and about not restricting that choice by requiring them
to go with one user interface.  I care about standardizing Linux so that
developers don't have to worry about making their software compatible
with 1000 different setups but at the same time allowing users to choose
between 1000 different setups that are all compatible with each other..

All of that is fundamental with my LASP plan (thanx to the input of
several people who actually had something to say, who I'll name later..
:) Let me go over the major points for those of you who are just joining us.

LASP - Linux Application Standards Project

1. Provide a loose standard specification for User Interfaces in
compliant applications.

2. Provide a scripting language and/or C function library for making
compliant programs easy to create.

3. Provide an X Window manager for users using X which will serve as a
common resource pool for compliant apps.
3a. This Window manager will also serve as data stream redirection
utility allowing global access to programs such as a sound event manager,
print manager, multi-media manager, etc..
3b. All aspects of the User Interface will be customizable via the Window
Manager (such as toolbar display -- icons, icons w/ text, text only, or
none at all).

4. Provide several core applications such as a hypertext help browser,
program manager, print manager, sound event manager, file manager,
media manager, install manager, file load/save manager, desktop manager,
etc..

5. To encourage both private and commercial developers to follow this
standard to increase compatibility.

6. To ensure portability of all compliant apps to as many Unices and
other OSes as possible via either ELF binary format or ported libraries..

7. To contribute to other projects wishing to promote Linux and similar OS's.

That's about it..  Oh yeah, as a side note, even though I've named it
Linux Application Standard Project, that's only because I originally
intended it for a Linux oriented user group, but I've since seen the
light.. We'll need everyone's help to make this successful.  So *BSD and
any other GNU friendly Unices should also be include in the project..

Ok, that's enough of my ranting and explanations for now.. I've been
staring at this box for several hours and my cat is demanding my attention..

Thanx for your attention and input,

Jim Phillips

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
LASP - Linux Application Standards Project
Giving the Real World a choice!
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Post by Kazimir Kylhe » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

 >Ok, this is pretty pitiful here folks.. I started this thread about 2 or
 >3 weeks ago.  When I did I specifically requested this not turn into an
 >OS war.  Oh well, we can dream can't we?  Anyway, to make my point more
 >clear, my local newsserver has been down for the last 3 days so when I
 >was finally able to check the news, I found 82 posts as part of this
 >thread.  Only ONE! had the slightest thing to do with the original
 >post..  Around 85% of them were OS wars.. So I'm taking this thread to a
 >different subject title.. Those of you who want to make any real input

This is an _advocacy_ newsgroup. That means standing behind what we already
have, not *ing our "I want Linux to be a clone of Windows" wishlist
to the world.  There are other Linux newsgroups dedicated to development.
--

one of the public key servers -- the key id is 0xD3C7995D.

1. Why does Linux need to gain popularity?

: People who use Linux seem to be happy with it.  Why is "popularity"
: considered desirable?  I suppose there's the issue of application
: pull (more popular => more native Linux apps), but on the other hand

     Applications is all.. but really those who use it can get by with
several of the things already there. Plus its popular enough now that major
companies are starting to port software to put out versions for linux. As for
a larger userbase. I see enough dumb questions from ppl using other
operating systems and even linux users just because they forget rule #1 RTFM
:>

WWW: http://www.umr.edu/~dorf/      [note: Additions to be made with time]
IRC nicks: SDancer, Bahmut, and Tlieulax
"There is a fine line between Genius and Insanity..
                                 .. I have erased this line."
    - Shadow Dancer '93

2. clearing buffer cache

3. What Linux needs to gain popularity... ANSWERED!

4. Console keyboard lockups

5. What Linux needs to gain popularity (really)

6. William "Vs" Linux true philosophy

7. The Cause (was: What Linux needs to gain popularity)

8. NMI handling rework

9. What Linux needs to gain popularity

10. What Linux needs to gain popularity... ANSWERED!

11. What Linux needs to gain popularity

12. Proposal: LASP (Linux Application Standards Project)