KDE 3.1

Post by mlw » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 15:19:33

For anyone still thinking that Linux can't be on the desktop, I have
news. KDE 3.1. After waiting for a RedHat 7.3 RPM set, I ended up
compiled it myself.

All I can say is it is slick. The defaults are very clean. The default
window manager is different than Windows (a good thing) but not so alien
that one would be confused.

There is a feature then when your mouse hovers over an item in
konqueror, a preview pops up. It even works for MP3 files. Very slick.
The Xinerama (multihead) just does it right.

It has been said before, Linux can compete with Windows on the desktop.
With KDE 3.1, I think it is a much better looking environment. That
combined with an inherently better base OS, gives Linux a clear win.

KDE 3.1

Post by Robert Foste » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 15:48:03

> For anyone still thinking that Linux can't be on the desktop, I have
> news. KDE 3.1. After waiting for a RedHat 7.3 RPM set, I ended up
> compiled it myself.

> All I can say is it is slick. The defaults are very clean. The default
> window manager is different than Windows (a good thing) but not so alien
> that one would be confused.

> There is a feature then when your mouse hovers over an item in
> konqueror, a preview pops up. It even works for MP3 files. Very slick.
> The Xinerama (multihead) just does it right.

> It has been said before, Linux can compete with Windows on the desktop.
> With KDE 3.1, I think it is a much better looking environment. That
> combined with an inherently better base OS, gives Linux a clear win.

   In my opinion it is good enough to work since 2.x version, but I have
found
3.1 still slower in the two machines I have used it (P3/1GHz and
K6-2/400MHz),
even when it is a big step forward in speed terms.

KDE 3.1

Post by Ian Pege » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:06:03

For it was written by mlw:

Quote:> There is a feature then when your mouse hovers over an item in
> konqueror, a preview pops up. It even works for MP3 files. V

GNOME has had this since at least 1.4. Scared me half to death when I had
the volume turned right up and I wasn't expecting it.

I don't know off hand whether GNOME 2 does it.

--
Ian

Here with a loaf of bread beneath the bough
A flask of wine, an onion, a book of verse -- and thou
Beside me singing in the wilderness
And wilderness is paradise enow.

KDE 3.1

Post by D. C. Session » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 16:58:32

>>For anyone still thinking that Linux can't be on the desktop, I have
>>news. KDE 3.1. After waiting for a RedHat 7.3 RPM set, I ended up
>>compiled it myself.
> How is the speed of konqueror browsing local file directories?

Dunno fer sher about "local" but for my NFS home it's a case
of click-on-the-directory and you get the contents.  Thumbnails
and all.  The mouse hover is *really* quick too, audio included.

Slick -- _very_ slick.

--
begin  signature.vbs
|      In the course of every project there comes a time        |

KDE 3.1

Post by rapska » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:04:35

begin  Error log for Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:19:33 +0000, segfault in module
mlw: dump details are as follows...

Quote:> For anyone still thinking that Linux can't be on the desktop, I have
> news. KDE 3.1. After waiting for a RedHat 7.3 RPM set, I ended up
> compiled it myself.

> All I can say is it is slick. The defaults are very clean. The default
> window manager is different than Windows (a good thing) but not so alien
> that one would be confused.

> There is a feature then when your mouse hovers over an item in
> konqueror, a preview pops up. It even works for MP3 files. Very slick.
> The Xinerama (multihead) just does it right.

> It has been said before, Linux can compete with Windows on the desktop.
> With KDE 3.1, I think it is a much better looking environment. That
> combined with an inherently better base OS, gives Linux a clear win.

KDE 3.1 is it.  As I've said before, it is a better windows than Windows
itself.  The features, apps, and toolset as well as the look and overall
design is top notch.  It is also very fast and stable.

Even the most winwashed person could sit down at a system running KDE 3.1
and start being productive in a matter of minutes.

--
rapskat -  10:53:06  up 18:18,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Running LGX - Linux + GNU + XFree86: Gentoo flavored

"OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard."
                -- Dr. Joy

KDE 3.1

Post by Craig Kelle » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 19:03:30

> For anyone still thinking that Linux can't be on the desktop, I have
> news. KDE 3.1. After waiting for a RedHat 7.3 RPM set, I ended up
> compiled it myself.

> All I can say is it is slick. The defaults are very clean. The default
> window manager is different than Windows (a good thing) but not so alien
> that one would be confused.

> There is a feature then when your mouse hovers over an item in
> konqueror, a preview pops up. It even works for MP3 files. Very slick.
> The Xinerama (multihead) just does it right.

> It has been said before, Linux can compete with Windows on the desktop.
> With KDE 3.1, I think it is a much better looking environment. That
> combined with an inherently better base OS, gives Linux a clear win.

I have i686 compiled binaries for redhat 8 as well, if anyone is
interested (send email).

--

Turn In Your Neighbor Today!  http://www.bsa.org/usa/report/report.php

KDE 3.1

Post by kyi » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 11:32:01

> For anyone still thinking that Linux can't be on the desktop, I have
> news. KDE 3.1. After waiting for a RedHat 7.3 RPM set, I ended up
> compiled it myself.

> All I can say is it is slick. The defaults are very clean. The default
> window manager is different than Windows (a good thing) but not so alien
> that one would be confused.

> There is a feature then when your mouse hovers over an item in
> konqueror, a preview pops up. It even works for MP3 files. Very slick.
> The Xinerama (multihead) just does it right.

> It has been said before, Linux can compete with Windows on the desktop.
> With KDE 3.1, I think it is a much better looking environment. That
> combined with an inherently better base OS, gives Linux a clear win.

And for anyone who is interested in what kde-3.1 looks like.

http://www.psnw.com/~kyi/snapshot1.png
http://www.psnw.com/~kyi/snapshot2.png
http://www.psnw.com/~kyi/snapshot3.png
http://www.psnw.com/~kyi/snapshot4.png
http://www.psnw.com/~kyi/snapshot5.png

It's running on my laptop, 1.3 piii, 512Mb, 30G, gf2go, 14.1 screen, toshiba
3005-S307, Gentoo-1.4-rc2

-kyi

KDE 3.1

Post by cybea » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 21:54:14

>>There is a feature then when your mouse hovers over an item in
>>konqueror, a preview pops up. It even works for MP3 files. Very slick.
>>The Xinerama (multihead) just does it right.

>>It has been said before, Linux can compete with Windows on the desktop.

> There's more to competing than having some software that
> looks 'slick' and has popup previews.

That's right. That's why Linux has so much CHOICE. If you like the stuff in
KDE then use it, if you don't use one of the other supported desktops. MS?
If you don't like the desktop, what other supported desktop can you choose?
MS can't compete.

KDE 3.1

Post by paul cook » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 21:59:36

comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:04:35 -0500, "rapskat"

>>KDE 3.1 is it.  As I've said before, it is a better windows than
>>Windows
>>itself.  The features, apps, and toolset as well as the look and
>>overall
>>design is top notch.  It is also very fast and stable.

> Unfortuanately, it's a random collection of 'cool' and
> 'innovative' features thrown together with no coordination.
> Irritating pop-up previews don't make a good OS.

how the F would you know??? you haven't got it yet so you're not
qualified to comment...

I'm happy cos I've just finished installing it on my test PC and also got
hold of an iso of the modified Knoppix with KDE3.1

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

KDE 3.1

Post by kyi » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 14:05:24

>>http://www.psnw.com/~kyi/snapshot1.png
>>http://www.psnw.com/~kyi/snapshot2.png
>>http://www.psnw.com/~kyi/snapshot3.png
>>http://www.psnw.com/~kyi/snapshot4.png
>>http://www.psnw.com/~kyi/snapshot5.png

> I'd download them if I wasn't connected at 28k.

Since they are from my laptop (1024x768) and not my desktop (1600x1200) they
are fairly small 300k - 400k each.

KDE 3.1

Post by Matt » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 22:14:35

>> For anyone still thinking that Linux can't be on the desktop, I have
>> news. KDE 3.1. After waiting for a RedHat 7.3 RPM set, I ended up
>> compiled it myself.

>> All I can say is it is slick. The defaults are very clean. The
>> default window manager is different than Windows (a good thing) but
>> not so alien that one would be confused.

>> There is a feature then when your mouse hovers over an item in
>> konqueror, a preview pops up. It even works for MP3 files. Very
>> slick. The Xinerama (multihead) just does it right.

>> It has been said before, Linux can compete with Windows on the
>> desktop. With KDE 3.1, I think it is a much better looking
>> environment. That combined with an inherently better base OS, gives
>> Linux a clear win.

> I have i686 compiled binaries for redhat 8 as well, if anyone is
> interested (send email).

I have compiled it myself, however, you may want to contribute those
back to the community somehow.  Might be worth contacting someone at
FreshRPMS or redhat-kde.sourceforge.net to see if they would host them.
Just a thought.  I've seen a lot of people* out for rpm's for
RH8.0.

--
Matt
Remove "-nospam" to reply

> *can work. Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessary a
> good idea.                                 [ Alexander Viro on linux-kernel ]

Watch the attributions.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
It is hard to be sure where they are going to land,
and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.
        From RFC1925, R Callon, 1996.

        - Al Viro on linux-kernel

KDE 3.1

Post by Matt » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 22:15:59

> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:04:35 -0500, "rapskat"

>>KDE 3.1 is it.  As I've said before, it is a better windows than Windows
>>itself.  The features, apps, and toolset as well as the look and overall
>>design is top notch.  It is also very fast and stable.

> Unfortuanately, it's a random collection of 'cool' and
> 'innovative' features thrown together with no coordination.
> Irritating pop-up previews don't make a good OS.

The other thing you forget is that this is linux.  You can turn the
popups off if you don't like them.

--
Matt
Remove "-nospam" to reply

Families, when a child is born
Want it to be intelligent.
I, through intelligence,
Having wrecked my whole life,
Only hope the baby will prove
Ignorant and stupid.
Then he will crown a tranquil life
By becoming a Cabinet Minister
                -- Su Tung-p'o

KDE 3.1

Post by paul cook » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 23:29:27

comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

>>> I'd download them if I wasn't connected at 28k.

>>Since they are from my laptop (1024x768) and not my desktop (1600x1200)
>>they are fairly small 300k - 400k each.

> OK, but my Internet connection has been going down all
> night,

oo err missus... fnar, fnar...

Quote:> really dodgy. I'll try again later.

you made it ok on this dialin pass... more's the pity...

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819
  Linux Counter: Home Page = http://counter.li.org/
  9:25pm  up 14 days,  9:29,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.06, 0.08

KDE 3.1

Post by Matt » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 01:06:59

> On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 09:15:59 +1300, "Matt"

>>> Unfortuanately, it's a random collection of 'cool' and
>>> 'innovative' features thrown together with no coordination.
>>> Irritating pop-up previews don't make a good OS.

>>The other thing you forget is that this is linux.  You can turn the
>>popups off if you don't like them.

> Wow, you've missed the point completely.

Simply mirroring you're inane post.
--
Matt
Remove "-nospam" to reply

It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve a
statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious
to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look,
which morally we can do.  To affect the quality of the day, that is the
highest of arts. Every man is tasked to make his life, even in its details,
worthy of the contemplation of his most elevated and critical hour.
                -- Henry David Thoreau, "Where I Live"

KDE 3.1

Post by paul cook » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 01:09:40

comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 21:29:27 GMT, paul cooke

>>comp.os.linux.advocacy to propose the following:

>>> OK, but my Internet connection has been going down all
>>> night,

>>oo err missus... fnar, fnar...

> After a few hours I managed to get it back up again, but
> after 30 seconds it went back down again. I may have to
> use the floppy instead, but the missus won't like that.
> What I really need is a cable.

or an "Arab Strap"... to keep it up for more than 30 seconds...

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819
  Linux Counter: Home Page = http://counter.li.org/
 11:05pm  up 14 days, 11:09,  3 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.19, 0.19

1. kde 3.1 not displaying 3.1 "theme"

Hi,

I have kde 3.1 running on my LFS server. It looks great.

I have an unusual problem though.

I am using this example to clearly show the problem

1.) open exceed (remote X server program) on my windows machine.
2.) telnet into the linux box, set my display to the windows machine ip, and
export DISPLAY.
3.) run startkde

I get a GREAT kde 3.1 desktop, it looks good very pretty etc etc etc.

Infact the desktop looks like this

http://alesi.projecthugo.co.uk/exceed_desktop.bmp (big file could take a
minute to load)

however if I login to the console as the SAME user, I get the same desktop
but in a "less fancy" style

http://alesi.projecthugo.co.uk/console_desktop.png

as you can see they are both the same yet 1 is a little better looking than
the other.

To me this looks like the Console desktop does not have enough colours to
display all the fancy bits ???

Has anyone seen this ?

Know what it is ?

How to fix it ?

thanks,

Matt

2. NewbieLinuxApache bandwith, fixed question

3. KDE 3.1 RC1/RC2 comparison to KDE 3.0.4

4. Need libkab.so.2.0 binary for OpenBSD/i386

5. Keyboard shortcut trouble in Xfig under KDE 3.1

6. Matrox Millennium -- what X-server ?

7. KDE 3.1

8. CUPS filter setup

9. Two issues with KDE 3.1/RH 7.3

10. kde 3.1 themes ??

11. KDE 3.1 and libsmb

12. apt-get: libkdefx reloation error: redhat 8.0 kde 3.1

13. Manage to compile libkcm_konq.la for KDE 3.1 Beta 1?