Windoze 95 ( Want a Mac Interface..?..get a Mac...!)

Post by ANDREW GRYG » Mon, 11 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:(DroneBlues) writes:
> . . . .    RAM is the main memory
>in accessing apps and a partitioned RAM DRIVE by-passes any cache, it
is
>the ultimate cache. The reason for RAM DRIVES is that the application
>itself is stored in internal memory rather than having to be read from
>ROM. A disk cache uses ROM space as RAM and cannot be compared to a
RAM
>DRIVE which consists entirely of physical RAM and is many times
faster.
>The type of cache you are speaking of still must read/write to ROM to
>access the information because the app itself is still located in ROM.
>Also,  a RAM cache will store info on-the-fly in RAM once it has
accessed
>it from the hard drive as long as there is enough memory allocated to
do
>so; . . . .

I seem to be missing something here.  "read/write to ROM"?  For at
least the last 15 years I have been convinced "ROM" stood for "Read
Only Memory".  Is this different on a Mac?  Please inform me.

Andrew Grygus
La Crescenta, CA

Post by Laurence Leid » Fri, 15 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>I seem to be missing something here.  "read/write to ROM"?  For at
>least the last 15 years I have been convinced "ROM" stood for "Read
>Only Memory".  Is this different on a Mac?  Please inform me.

>Andrew Grygus
>La Crescenta, CA

I think you missed the entire Hamilton '95 thread. Didn't you hear that
they were developing a ROM you could write to?

The Macintoshes, being the forward-looking machines that they are,
already had this feature fully incorporated.

Laurence

1. Windoze 95 ( Want a Mac Interface..?..get a Mac)

were there**

Stick to graphic designing. You definitely have no future in computers.
A hard disk is >>not<< ROM (except in rare special cases where write
inhibit has been set with a jumper).  It is certainly not a ROM on a
Macintosh, even.  A disk cache most certainly doesn't use ROM "twerp",
and neither does a RAM disk.  I won't comment further because your
twisted prose is too difficult to make any sense of.

Andrew Grygus
La Crescenta, CA

2. Help: CGI on 1.3b3 Win95

3. Windoze 95 ( Want a Mac Interface..?..get a Mac.)

4. Xsun needs 120 MB swap?

5. ( Want a Mac Interface..?..get a Mac...! )

6. ether express 16 and 2.2.0

7. Multiple MACs from same Interface OR MAC/VLAN NATting

8. Yamaha on motherboard config

9. Windoze 95 ( Want a Mac Interface..?..get a Mac...! I

10. Windoze 95 ( Want a Mac Interface..?..get a Mac...! I Did..!!! )