Wine + MS Office: Perforamnce?

Post by Chri » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I just went to http://www.winehq.com, and was pleasantly surprised to
see all the Windows 95 apps supported, including Excel 95+97 and Word
95+97. I was wondering if anyone was used these programs under wine, and
how they perform, both in absolute terms (i.e. what do you need to run
them and not suffer?) and relative to Windows 95 (and maybe NT).

Also, were the MS Office apps any less wine-compatible than anything
else?

Wine + MS Office: Perforamnce?

Post by Douglas Ridgw » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

: I just went to http://www.winehq.com, and was pleasantly surprised to
: see all the Windows 95 apps supported, including Excel 95+97 and Word
: 95+97.

Look more carefully. Excel 95, Word 95,97 are all rated as 1's, which means
that someone, at some point, was able to get them to generate a screenshot.
Ie, no useful functionality whatsoever. Excel 97 isn't even that good, and
got a zero.

Win32 support is coming along, but Wine is not recommended for the
casual Linux user.

Wine + MS Office: Perforamnce?

Post by Chri » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

You're right - I didn't look at the rating numbers at all. Is there anywhere
that tells what the reating numbers mean?

> : I just went to http://www.winehq.com, and was pleasantly surprised to
> : see all the Windows 95 apps supported, including Excel 95+97 and Word
> : 95+97.

> Look more carefully. Excel 95, Word 95,97 are all rated as 1's, which means
> that someone, at some point, was able to get them to generate a screenshot.
> Ie, no useful functionality whatsoever. Excel 97 isn't even that good, and
> got a zero.

> Win32 support is coming along, but Wine is not recommended for the
> casual Linux user.

Wine + MS Office: Perforamnce?

Post by Chri » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> You're right - I didn't look at the rating numbers at all. Is there anywhere
> that tells what the reating numbers mean?

Never mind - there's a link to a legend right on the ratings page.

Wine + MS Office: Perforamnce?

Post by Dennis Iannic » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

: You're right - I didn't look at the rating numbers at all. Is there anywhere
: that tells what the reating numbers mean?

Sure.  Go to: http://www.winehq.com/apps-info.html

Blinky lights are the essence of technology!
Caffeine underflow (brain dumped)
void main() { __asm__(".long 0xc8c70ff0"); }

Wine + MS Office: Perforamnce?

Post by Tim Smi » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>You're right - I didn't look at the rating numbers at all. Is there anywhere
>that tells what the reating numbers mean?

"Please see the _info_page_ for help or more information".  I'm going to go
out on a limb and suggest you might want to click that "info page" link.

--Tim Smith

1. Q: DOSEMU/WINE & MS Office

Hi.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to run the Microsoft Office suite
under DOSEMU or WINE?  I understand that Word will run when you run
Windows in standard mode under DOSEMU so I'm hoping that the other
programs will run as well.  I would assume that WINE would be the
better way to run them but I would be willing to use either DOSEMU or
Wine, just as long as the programs worked.  The programs I am most
interested in using are Word, Excell, Powerpoint and MS Mail.

Thanks.

David Reid

2. $5, THAT'S ALL YOU NEED

3. Wine,wine,wine - I need help with wine

4. backup devices

5. Can I run MS office files with Star Office on linux?

6. Log files don't roll over properly

7. Is Star Office just as crash prone as MS Office?

8. Trouble loading. HELP!!

9. off-group - sorry - MS ie5 stops MS office from installing

10. /etc/magic entries for MS Office and MS Project?

11. .NET and the erosion of MS Office and other MS Software by Open source

12. Wine Office XP Pro

13. Codeweaver wine and m$ office 97 - setup fails.