Does innovation require intellectual property rights

Does innovation require intellectual property rights

Post by Daero » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:32:33

http://www.reason.com/0303/fe.dc.creation.shtml

March 2003

Creation Myths
Does innovation require intellectual property rights?

By Douglas Clement

".. As for software, Boldrin refers to an MIT working paper by
economists Eric Maskin and James Bessen. Maskin and Bessen write that
"some of the most innovative industries today -- software, computers
and semiconductors -- have historically had weak patent protection and
have experienced rapid imitation of their products .."

".. Moreover, U.S. court decisions in the 1980s that strengthened
patent protection for software led to less innovation. "Far from
unleashing a flurry of new innovative activity," Maskin and Bessen
write, "these stronger property rights ushered in a period of
stagnant, if not declining, R&D among those industries and firms that
patented most." Industries that depend on sequential product
development -- the initial version is followed by an improved second
version, etc. -- are, they argue, likely to be stifled by stronger
intellectual property regimes .."

Post by Marcin Wolcendor » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:49:56

> http://www.reason.com/0303/fe.dc.creation.shtml

> March 2003

> Creation Myths
> Does innovation require intellectual property rights?

> By Douglas Clement

> ".. As for software, Boldrin refers to an MIT working paper by
> economists Eric Maskin and James Bessen. Maskin and Bessen write that
> "some of the most innovative industries today -- software, computers
> and semiconductors -- have historically had weak patent protection and
> have experienced rapid imitation of their products .."

> ".. Moreover, U.S. court decisions in the 1980s that strengthened
> patent protection for software led to less innovation. "Far from
> unleashing a flurry of new innovative activity," Maskin and Bessen
> write, "these stronger property rights ushered in a period of
> stagnant, if not declining, R&D among those industries and firms that
> patented most." Industries that depend on sequential product
> development -- the initial version is followed by an improved second
> version, etc. -- are, they argue, likely to be stifled by stronger
> intellectual property regimes .."

For me it is easy and pretty obvious- 'you run, if they are chasing you,
otherwise you just walk'. If you're feeling safe with what you got (you
have a patent), you won't invent anything new in that area, cause others
won't force you to. Now designers are tied by patents (in US for sure),
so they can't chase anybody...

M.

1. Intellectual Property Rights

Anyone have any ideas about how the (presumably) soon-to-be-ratified
Intellectual Property Rights Treaty will effect the free software movement?
 I think it may be the best thing to ever happen.  The idea of a publicly
owned sourcecode is certainly attractive in light of the treaty's stand on
reverse engineering to isolate defects in commercial products.

2. Needed Monitor Specs -- Pls

3. Intellectual property rights

4. HELP......cannot log into server with POP mail

5. Intellectual Property DANGER! (Re: DVD driver)

6. Why does SCO PINE cause kernel panic on Interactive?

7. Proposal: Liberated Intellectual Property Organization (LIPO)

8. Mount GSM Phone via IrDA...?

9. intellectual property and the GPL

10. contamination with UNIX intellectual property and job changes

11. BILL GATES / MICROSOFT CAUGHT STEALING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY !

12. Seminar: GPL versus Intellectual Property

13. Does "intellectual Property" exist?