The Assimilator

Post by Franoculato » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 05:59:51

That's what I'll call it, if I decide to get it.  It, is a Windows box.
See, Ken has got me thinking.  (Thanks Ken, now my head hurts.)  I have
a few games that I would like to play, and Wine just isn't doing it for
me.

So a possible solution to this would be to add a windows box to the
network.  But like Ken, I don't really know where to put the damn thing.
I then thought that I could just stick it in a closet, and connect to it
with VNC, or some other remote desktop tool.  Who knows, does windows
search for a monitor at boot, and just continuously reboot itself if it
fails to find one?  We know it needs the GUI to run, so I guess this
might be a possibility.

So just for kicks, I tossed 98 on a machine, and connected to it with
VNC and started messing around.  Installed WSFTP, Mozilla, WinZip, you
know, all of those tools that come with a default *nix install, but not
with wintendo.

The machine hung.  Shit.  Now what do I do.  Well, since the machine is
right next to me, I just had to mash the reset button.  Waited 3
minutes, and was back in business.  But I got to thinking, what if this
happens, and I have the damn machine clear on the other side of the
house.  Do I really have to walk clear across the house every couple of
hours just to reset the 'assimilator'?  No, that just won't do.

I am going to do some more research on WINE, and get the thing to work.
I figure if I am getting 'missing lib' messages from WINE, eventually I
can fix them and be able to play Commandos 2 and DeltaForce from within
Linux.  It seems to be the only solution that will work for my
situation.

--
Matt
oops, I busted my damn sig...again

The Assimilator

Post by Conor Turto » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:09:34

Quote:> That's what I'll call it, if I decide to get it.  It, is a Windows box.
> See, Ken has got me thinking.  (Thanks Ken, now my head hurts.)  I have
> a few games that I would like to play, and Wine just isn't doing it for
> me.

<snip>

WineX 3 is due soon.

--
_________________________
Conor Turton

ICQ:31909763
_________________________

The Assimilator

Post by Franoculato » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 04:18:23

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 at 15:09 GMT, Conor Turton
spilled his alphabet soup on the floor, and the letters spelled:

>> That's what I'll call it, if I decide to get it.  It, is a Windows box.
>> See, Ken has got me thinking.  (Thanks Ken, now my head hurts.)  I have
>> a few games that I would like to play, and Wine just isn't doing it for
>> me.

><snip>

> WineX 3 is due soon.

I hope they hurry it up.  FWIW, I saw Commandos 2 for the PS2 today.  I
might have to pick that up instead.

--
Matt
oops, I busted my damn sig...again

The Assimilator

Post by Kenneth Down » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 05:19:48

Thusly didst Franoculator carve in mystic runes upon the very living rock:

Quote:> That's what I'll call it, if I decide to get it.  It, is a Windows box.
> See, Ken has got me thinking.  (Thanks Ken, now my head hurts.)  I have
> a few games that I would like to play, and Wine just isn't doing it for
> me.

> So a possible solution to this would be to add a windows box to the
> network.  But like Ken, I don't really know where to put the damn thing.
> I then thought that I could just stick it in a closet, and connect to it
> with VNC, or some other remote desktop tool.  Who knows, does windows
> search for a monitor at boot, and just continuously reboot itself if it
> fails to find one?  We know it needs the GUI to run, so I guess this
> might be a possibility.

> So just for kicks, I tossed 98 on a machine, and connected to it with
> VNC and started messing around.  Installed WSFTP, Mozilla, WinZip, you
> know, all of those tools that come with a default *nix install, but not
> with wintendo.

> The machine hung.  Shit.  Now what do I do.  Well, since the machine is
> right next to me, I just had to mash the reset button.  Waited 3
> minutes, and was back in business.  But I got to thinking, what if this
> happens, and I have the damn machine clear on the other side of the
> house.  Do I really have to walk clear across the house every couple of
> hours just to reset the 'assimilator'?  No, that just won't do.

> I am going to do some more research on WINE, and get the thing to work.
> I figure if I am getting 'missing lib' messages from WINE, eventually I
> can fix them and be able to play Commandos 2 and DeltaForce from within
> Linux.  It seems to be the only solution that will work for my
> situation.

VMWare is worth a shot as well, though it is not free.
--
Ken
Thou Shalt Not Make a Machine In the Image of A Human Mind

The Assimilator

Post by Franoculato » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 05:29:46

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 at 03:19 GMT, Kenneth Downs
spilled his alphabet soup on the floor, and the letters spelled:

Quote:> VMWare is worth a shot as well, though it is not free.

I saw it mention somewhere that it didn't play sound.  Is this true?  I
would surely hope that it could.

--
Matt
oops, I busted my damn sig...again

The Assimilator

Post by Peter Jense » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:23:09

begin  Message from Franoculator.txt.vbs

Quote:>> VMWare is worth a shot as well, though it is not free.

> I saw it mention somewhere that it didn't play sound.  Is this true?  I
> would surely hope that it could.

IIRC VMWare can emulate a soundblaster <something>. It never worked
well on my machine though, but that was an older version of VMWare.
I haven't had time to try out the sound in version 3.1.

end
--
PeKaJe

The Assimilator

Post by Peter K?hlman » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:52:54

> begin  Message from Franoculator.txt.vbs

>>> VMWare is worth a shot as well, though it is not free.

>> I saw it mention somewhere that it didn't play sound.  Is this true?  I
>> would surely hope that it could.

> IIRC VMWare can emulate a soundblaster <something>. It never worked
> well on my machine though, but that was an older version of VMWare.
> I haven't had time to try out the sound in version 3.1.

> end

It plays sound, and it got better in version 3.1. It is actually quite
usable. Not as good as the real thing, but OK

Peter
--
Perl - the only language that looks the same before and after RSA
encryption.

The Assimilator

Post by Franoculato » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 23:47:06

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 at 13:52 GMT, Peter K?hlmann
spilled his alphabet soup on the floor, and the letters spelled:

>> begin  Message from Franoculator.txt.vbs

>>> I saw it mention somewhere that it didn't play sound.  Is this true?  I
>>> would surely hope that it could.

>> IIRC VMWare can emulate a soundblaster <something>. It never worked
>> well on my machine though, but that was an older version of VMWare.
>> I haven't had time to try out the sound in version 3.1.

>> end

> It plays sound, and it got better in version 3.1. It is actually quite
> usable. Not as good as the real thing, but OK

> Peter

Thanks for the info guys.  I will think about it, but I don't see myself
coughing up $300 to play a few games.  Not when I could get the same
games for the PS2 at a much lower cost.