Linux cannot be stopped

Post by Tod » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Linux is free.  Forget dollars.  Forget stockholders, CEO's, and
monopolies.  Linux is free to develop as it needs to based on what
functions it needs to provide.  It is not worried about monopolizing
the OS industry.  It's not worried about putting bread on
stockholder's tables.  It's not worried about million dollar per year
country club memberships for the CEO.  Linux is not just free in the
financial sense.  It is free in the sense that it is liberated from
the greed inherent of large monopolistic corporations.  And it is free
in the sense that it has nothing to hide.   It lays bare it's soul in
the source files included with every distribution of Linux.

This does wonders for its evolution.  Just look at the stunted growth
of other operating systems as opposed to the steady and rapid
development of Linux.

Although it may seem that Linux is up against insurmountable odds
trying to become a major player in the OS field, things are changing.
Linux will become too big to ignore, and is already too big to defeat.
Linux will prevail.

Todd

[OK, maybe I was a little overly poetic about it, but what the hell.
At least it was entertaining to write.]

Linux cannot be stopped

Post by Dick Erlach » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>Linux is free.  Forget dollars.  Forget stockholders, CEO's, and
>monopolies.  Linux is free to develop as it needs to based on what
>functions it needs to provide.  It is not worried about monopolizing
>the OS industry.  It's not worried about putting bread on
>stockholder's tables.  It's not worried about million dollar per year
>country club memberships for the CEO.  Linux is not just free in the
>financial sense.  It is free in the sense that it is liberated from
>the greed inherent of large monopolistic corporations.  And it is free
>in the sense that it has nothing to hide.   It lays bare it's soul in
>the source files included with every distribution of Linux.
>This does wonders for its evolution.  Just look at the stunted growth
>of other operating systems as opposed to the steady and rapid
>development of Linux.
>Although it may seem that Linux is up against insurmountable odds
>trying to become a major player in the OS field, things are changing.
>Linux will become too big to ignore, and is already too big to defeat.
>Linux will prevail.
>Todd
>[OK, maybe I was a little overly poetic about it, but what the hell.
>At least it was entertaining to write.]

Very interesting! . . . now, how do I find out about LINUX.  Is anyone
willing to put anything down in print/downloadable text?  For what is
it useable (no hand-waving, please!)  How does it network?  Can it
serve as a server to non-LINUX machines?  How do they talk to it?  Is
anyone experienced enough to answer some pointed implementation
detail-oriented questions?

Email me, please.

regards,

Dick

Linux cannot be stopped

Post by Wai Leung Ch » Fri, 20 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: Linux is free.  Forget dollars.  Forget stockholders, CEO's, and
Not really. Since Linux is an unsupported OS, you are required to invest
time into it to make it work. In other OSes, one pays to have it easily
installable.

: monopolies.  Linux is free to develop as it needs to based on what
: functions it needs to provide.  It is not worried about monopolizing
: the OS industry.  It's not worried about putting bread on
: stockholder's tables.  It's not worried about million dollar per year
: country club memberships for the CEO.  Linux is not just free in the
: financial sense.  It is free in the sense that it is liberated from
: the greed inherent of large monopolistic corporations.  And it is free
: in the sense that it has nothing to hide.   It lays bare it's soul in
: the source files included with every distribution of Linux.
It's only an OS, and a UNIX clone at that. Linux isn't the messiah...
And BTW, the first UNIX was developed in a large monopolistic
corporation and used by large, monopolistic corporations...

: This does wonders for its evolution.  Just look at the stunted growth
: of other operating systems as opposed to the steady and rapid
: development of Linux.
Uhmmm... actually, Linux borrows much from commercial/academic OSes, such
as BSD, SunOS, etc. In fact, Linux is rather behind Solaris, which offers
multi-threading and CDE (IF you like CDE :))

: Although it may seem that Linux is up against insurmountable odds
: trying to become a major player in the OS field, things are changing.
: Linux will become too big to ignore, and is already too big to defeat.
: Linux will prevail.
More like, "UNIX won't die." It's been around <SIGH> for longer than any
other OS... I don't understand why you people keep on forgetting that...
Linux is just another UNIX... And there's always FreeBSD and Hurd...
(finally, took you long enough, Rich :) )

: Todd

: [OK, maybe I was a little overly poetic about it, but what the hell.
: At least it was entertaining to write.]

Will

Linux cannot be stopped

Post by Earl H. Kinmon » Fri, 20 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: >Linux is free.  Forget dollars.  Forget stockholders, CEO's, and
: >monopolies.

: Very interesting! . . . now, how do I find out about LINUX.  Is anyone
: willing to put anything down in print/downloadable text?  For what is
: it useable (no hand-waving, please!)  How does it network?  Can it
: serve as a server to non-LINUX machines?  How do they talk to it?  Is
: anyone experienced enough to answer some pointed implementation
: detail-oriented questions?

SCO OpenServer 5.02 is also available free (you pay for media if you
need it, but you can use another person's media if you want to) and it
runs on Intel.  Some noises are also being made that UnixWare will be
made available free under the same conditions -- educational or
non-commercial use only.

See http://www.sco.com for details.

--

Earl H. Kinmonth, Kanji Users Service Operation (KUSO!), University of
Sheffield, Sheffield, England S10 2UJ

Linux cannot be stopped

Post by Tod » Fri, 20 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Not really. Since Linux is an unsupported OS, you are required to invest
>time into it to make it work. In other OSes, one pays to have it easily
>installable.

Buy a commercial version from Caldera or RedHat if you want a
supported version of Linux.  Or just install RedHat for free over the
net and go to comp.os.linux.answers for support--although you won't
have to pay using this method you will find it easily installable.
(some networking knowledge may be required depending on what you want
to use it for..)  I've also found the #linux channel to be very
helpful for immediate responses -- I prefer the one availabe on
LinuxNet IRC servers to the one on EffNet.

Quote:>It's only an OS, and a UNIX clone at that. Linux isn't the messiah...

Well, OK, that's true, Linux is NOT the messiah.

Quote:>And BTW, the first UNIX was developed in a large monopolistic
>corporation and used by large, monopolistic corporations...

This is definately one of the biggest differences between Linux and
Unix.

Quote:>Uhmmm... actually, Linux borrows much from commercial/academic OSes, such
>as BSD, SunOS, etc. In fact, Linux is rather behind Solaris, which offers
>multi-threading and CDE (IF you like CDE :))

Linux borrows a lot of great features from other OS's.  Is this a bad
thing?  The features that aren't available yet will be written once
the demand is great enough.  BTW, I hadn't heard anything about the
source code for SunOS or Solaris being freely available.  Although I
know very little of the multi-threading capabilities of different
OS's, I've been very impressed with the multi-tasking capabilities of
Linux (both by its speed and reliability.)  I've only heard of CDE.
I've found FVWM to be my favorite window manager.  Of course I haven't
used the serveral others included with Linux as much.

Quote:>More like, "UNIX won't die." It's been around <SIGH> for longer than any
>other OS... I don't understand why you people keep on forgetting that...
>Linux is just another UNIX... And there's always FreeBSD and Hurd...
>(finally, took you long enough, Rich :) )

The point I'd made was that Linux won't die.  Unix probably won't
either.   I'm not sure who you think it is that is forgetting Linux is
like Unix.  I haven't ran into any Linux users yet that didn't know
that.

What I believe makes Linux so unique among these other OS's is the
manner in which it's developed.  So many people collaborating to
create the best OS available without financial issues playing a role.

Todd

Linux cannot be stopped

Post by Tod » Fri, 20 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>Very interesting! . . . now, how do I find out about LINUX.  Is anyone
>willing to put anything down in print/downloadable text?  For what is
>it useable (no hand-waving, please!)  How does it network?  Can it
>serve as a server to non-LINUX machines?  How do they talk to it?  Is
>anyone experienced enough to answer some pointed implementation
>detail-oriented questions?

The best starting point to find out about Linux is
http://www.linux.org.  Also you will find the comp.os.linux.*
newsgroups to be very informative.

Its networking capabilities are very strong.  It can serve non-Linux
machines as a web server, NFS fileserver, and domain name server--not
to mention others.  Netscape browsers and servers are available for
it.  It can communicate with IPX and TCP/IP over ethernet, token ring,
or modem.

For detailed answers I recommend comp.os.linux.answers.

Todd

Linux cannot be stopped

Post by Jeffrey Gustafs » Fri, 20 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>: Linux is free.  Forget dollars.  Forget stockholders, CEO's, and
>Not really. Since Linux is an unsupported OS, you are required to invest
>time into it to make it work. In other OSes, one pays to have it easily
>installable.

        You can get Caldera Linux which is supported, and you do pay.
Friends of mine that are new to the Unix work found RedHat Linux very
easy to install.  Really, if you're on the Internet, Linux has great
support.

[deleted]

Quote:>: This does wonders for its evolution.  Just look at the stunted growth
>: of other operating systems as opposed to the steady and rapid
>: development of Linux.
>Uhmmm... actually, Linux borrows much from commercial/academic OSes, such
>as BSD, SunOS, etc. In fact, Linux is rather behind Solaris, which offers
>multi-threading and CDE (IF you like CDE :))

        Linux has both user level and kernel level POSIX.1b threads.  You
can also buy OpenGL, Motif, and CDE for Linux from XInside.  And yes it
does borrow, but it's a great pool to borrow from!

Quote:>: Although it may seem that Linux is up against insurmountable odds
>: trying to become a major player in the OS field, things are changing.
>: Linux will become too big to ignore, and is already too big to defeat.
>: Linux will prevail.
>More like, "UNIX won't die." It's been around <SIGH> for longer than any
>other OS... I don't understand why you people keep on forgetting that...
>Linux is just another UNIX... And there's always FreeBSD and Hurd...
>(finally, took you long enough, Rich :) )

        This is what amazes me about Unix.  It's REALLY old, but it
continues to have great innovations and new ideas.  I guess it's because
so many researchers use Unix.  Unix seems to be a great base to build new
ideas on... flexible.  The Linux Enterprise Computing page has great
stuff about Linux cluster, etc.

Quote:>: Todd

--
Jeffrey Gustafson

Technical Resources Group
Packard Bell Electronics, Inc.

Linux cannot be stopped

Post by Tod » Fri, 20 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>Yeah, I sometimes have that problem as well --- some hung up process just
>won't go away, thus I cannot unmount some filesystem, thus I cannot
>(safely) reboot. Presto, unstoppable linux.

I've never yet had a problem killing a hung process with "kill -9".
If you are using a very old kernel or an experimental one that isn't
considered stable you may want to download a different one.

Todd

Linux cannot be stopped

Post by Chris Wate » Fri, 20 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>>More like, "UNIX won't die." It's been around <SIGH> for longer than any
>>other OS... I don't understand why you people keep on forgetting that...
>>Linux is just another UNIX... And there's always FreeBSD and Hurd...
>>(finally, took you long enough, Rich :) )

Yeah, I started using Linux as a stop-gap while I waited for Hurd.  Now
I'm not sure if I'll switch anytime in the forseeable future.  We'll see
what Hurd looks like when it finally gets to v1.0.  :)

Quote:>    This is what amazes me about Unix.  It's REALLY old, but it
>continues to have great innovations and new ideas.

This is similar to EMACS, which is older than vi, older than edlin,
older even than *NIX!  These systems continue to thrive because of a
modular, open-ended, extensible design.  Out-of-date components can be
ignored and eventually discarded, and new features--even major features
like GUIs and threads--can be installed without breaking the basic
design elements that make UNIX UNIX and EMACS EMACS.

Compare this to the offerings of a certain company in Washington state
which shall remain nameless, but which has taken a tip from Detroit's
automakers, and built planned obsolescence into their systems.

cheers,
Chris

Linux cannot be stopped

Post by bme.. » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

[lots....]

Yeah, I sometimes have that problem as well --- some hung up process just
won't go away, thus I cannot unmount some filesystem, thus I cannot
(safely) reboot. Presto, unstoppable linux.

Bernie

P.S.: One day, linux will deactivate the power switch, I bet!

"How does Windows work?"
  Mike Battersby, BCS (Hon), System administrator at Deakin Uni, while trying
  to handle Netscape/Windows during a meeting of the Linux Users of Victoria

Linux cannot be stopped

Post by Celia » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>: >Linux is free.  Forget dollars.  Forget stockholders, CEO's, and
>: >monopolies.

>: Very interesting! . . . now, how do I find out about LINUX.  Is anyone
>: willing to put anything down in print/downloadable text?  For what is
>: it useable (no hand-waving, please!)  How does it network?  Can it
>: serve as a server to non-LINUX machines?  How do they talk to it?  Is
>: anyone experienced enough to answer some pointed implementation
>: detail-oriented questions?

>SCO OpenServer 5.02 is also available free (you pay for media if you
>need it, but you can use another person's media if you want to) and it
>runs on Intel.  Some noises are also being made that UnixWare will be
>made available free under the same conditions -- educational or
>non-commercial use only.

>See http://www.sco.com for details.

Just so that it is clear.... Linux is free for all uses. Commercial
as well as educational.

If you are interested in finding out about linux you can look at
http://www.redhat.com or search for the word linux under yahoo.
(http://www.yahoo.com) There is tons of info available.

I am not making any sort of comparison of Linux, SCO, FreeBSD, etc....
Just answering the question.....

--Celia Clause                    Celia's Verilog/EDA web page:

Linux cannot be stopped

Post by David M. Co » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>Yeah, I sometimes have that problem as well --- some hung up process just
>won't go away, thus I cannot unmount some filesystem, thus I cannot
>(safely) reboot. Presto, unstoppable linux.

You might try fuser -km /dev/whatever.  I'm not sure what this would do
for the root filesystem; I'm not willing to test it out right now.

Dave Cook

Linux cannot be stopped

Post by David M. Co » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>: Linux is free.  [...]
>Not really. Since Linux is an unsupported OS,

The people who wrote Linux are accessible right here on the 'net.

You *can* buy a support from several companies, such as Redhat.  But even
Redhat will tell you on their web page that you won't need it.

Quote:>you are required to invest time into it to make it work.

I can pay myself third world wages, though.

Quote:>In other OSes, one pays to have it easily installable.

Because these are proprietary OSes for proprietary machines, a huge
advantage over Linux, which must run on thousands of different
configurations of i386 boxes (and now Alphas, PPCs and Sparcs.)

Dave Cook

Linux cannot be stopped

Post by Bob Hau » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Very interesting! . . . now, how do I find out about LINUX.  Is anyone
> willing to put anything down in print/downloadable text?  For what is

<http://www.linux.org>

Quote:> it useable (no hand-waving, please!)  How does it network?  Can it
> serve as a server to non-LINUX machines?  How do they talk to it?  Is
> anyone experienced enough to answer some pointed implementation
> detail-oriented questions?

Yes, it networks quite well.  Yes it can be a server to non-Linux
machines (Windows, Win95, NT, OS/2, Mac, other Unix).  They talk
to it with TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, or Appletalk.  You may e-mail me with
any questions (except about Appletalk, which I haven't used).

---

 Wasatch Communications Group               http://www.wasatch.com

1. Linux cannot be stopped (literally)

It happens to me almost every day - bad memory chips, which I'm too broke
to replace (hey, I'm a college student, I'm always broke :).  Kernel is no
difference - 1.2.13, 1.3.44, 2.0.0, same deal.  Even though it's mostly
harmless, it's pretty damn annoying to see that one "undead" process
staring at you every time you do a ps, and to have your load average
bumped up an extra point...

It's even worse when it happens and you're telnetted into your machine
from miles away (or even just across campus), so you can't do a reboot to
kill off that one process (which in this case would require physically
hitting the reset button)...

Netscape seems to be a frequent offender in these types of hangs - it's
pretty annoying to have that one "undead" copy of Netscape sitting there
in memory, which usually keeps you from starting up netscape again...
Worse yet is when Netscape decides to hang your machine dead-cold, as it
seems to do to mine on a frequent basis...

Even worse still is if you're logged on remotely, and the machine crashes
spectacularly on you in the middle of your session...  Especially if
you're 200 miles away, at home on break...  AAARRRRGGGHH!!

                                                        Rob

--

<!--  Professional Web Dude          \  #include <std-disclaimer.h>  -->
<!--   Math Major, Bates College '98  \  Join the march to save      -->

2. telnet problem

3. Why am I getting Kernel Panic VFS cannot mount root fs on 301?

4. HELP installing SCO 3.0.0

5. boot stops at "crc errorVFS: Cannot open root device 08:41"

6. my email address from tin

7. NEXT STABLE VERSION

10. Am I touchy? Or am I right?