UDF aka DIRECTCD with Linux

Post by Eric Wilhel » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 15:16:24

Anyone have any experience with this?

I'd like to be able to write to a CD-RW disk without re-writing the entire
thing, and I already have several disks which are formatted this way.

I am able to mount it, but that seems somewhat buggy.  (when trying to
copy from the disk to the HD:  "cp: cannot stat file.dwf")
TIA
Eric

UDF aka DIRECTCD with Linux

Post by k.. » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 15:58:12

> Anyone have any experience with this?

> I'd like to be able to write to a CD-RW disk without re-writing the entire
> thing, and I already have several disks which are formatted this way.

> I am able to mount it, but that seems somewhat buggy.  (when trying to
> copy from the disk to the HD:  "cp: cannot stat file.dwf")
> TIA
> Eric

I have not tried it on a CDRW disk but I do use it on my dvdram disks all
the time without problems. I compiled in UDF support and UDF write support
into my kernel and it works.

UDF aka DIRECTCD with Linux

Post by TuxTra » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 18:17:07

> Anyone have any experience with this?

> I'd like to be able to write to a CD-RW disk without re-writing the
> entire thing, and I already have several disks which are formatted this
> way.

> I am able to mount it, but that seems somewhat buggy.  (when trying to
> copy from the disk to the HD:  "cp: cannot stat file.dwf") TIA
> Eric

Well if you find out, let us all know. I have been trying for a year to
find an answer to this one.

cheers,

Mathew

--
TuxTrax   (n.) An invincible, all terrain, Linux driven armored *
vehicle that can take as much fire as it gives ;-)

Yes, I am a Penguin cult high priest. Fin readings upon request.

Amateur Radio Operator KD6MSI
www.tuxtrax.com

UDF aka DIRECTCD with Linux

Post by Eric Wilhel » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 22:27:35

>> Anyone have any experience with this?

>> I'd like to be able to write to a CD-RW disk without re-writing the
>> entire thing, and I already have several disks which are formatted this
>> way.

>> I am able to mount it, but that seems somewhat buggy.  (when trying to
>> copy from the disk to the HD:  "cp: cannot stat file.dwf") TIA
>> Eric

> I have not tried it on a CDRW disk but I do use it on my dvdram disks
> all the time without problems. I compiled in UDF support and UDF write
> support into my kernel and it works.

I got a "volume is write protected, mounting read-only" message from
mount when I tried it on a CD-RW.   This might be because I don't have
the write support in the kernel, or it might be because of how DIRECTCD
has set up the CD (there are some check boxes like "use standard cd-rom
compatibility" in the DIRECTCD dialouge).  I will have to try it on a
fresh disk (mkfs.UDF ?)

Any way to know what is in my kernel without compiling it myself?
Some kind of query config command?
This would also be helpful in making decisions about what to put in the
kernel when configuring it.  Learn by example, you know.

--Eric

UDF aka DIRECTCD with Linux

Post by TuxTra » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 06:43:58

>>> Anyone have any experience with this?

>>> I'd like to be able to write to a CD-RW disk without re-writing the
>>> entire thing, and I already have several disks which are formatted
>>> this way.

>>> I am able to mount it, but that seems somewhat buggy.  (when trying to
>>> copy from the disk to the HD:  "cp: cannot stat file.dwf") TIA Eric

>> I have not tried it on a CDRW disk but I do use it on my dvdram disks
>> all the time without problems. I compiled in UDF support and UDF write
>> support into my kernel and it works.

> I got a "volume is write protected, mounting read-only" message from
> mount when I tried it on a CD-RW.   This might be because I don't have
> the write support in the kernel, or it might be because of how DIRECTCD
> has set up the CD (there are some check boxes like "use standard cd-rom
> compatibility" in the DIRECTCD dialouge).  I will have to try it on a
> fresh disk (mkfs.UDF ?)

> Any way to know what is in my kernel without compiling it myself? Some
> kind of query config command?
> This would also be helpful in making decisions about what to put in the
> kernel when configuring it.  Learn by example, you know.

> --Eric

Just wondering: what did you put in your fstab file? or if you just used
mount, what command line arguments did you use?

cheers,

Mathew

--
TuxTrax   (n.) An invincible, all terrain, Linux driven armored *
vehicle that can take as much fire as it gives ;-)
      ___
 __(      )====::
/~~~~~~~~~\
\O.O.O.O.O/

Yes, I am a Penguin cult high priest. Fin readings upon request.

Amateur Radio Operator KD6MSI
www.tuxtrax.com

UDF aka DIRECTCD with Linux

Post by Terry Port » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 07:50:31

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 07:27:35 -0600, Eric Wilhelm in article

Quote:>Any way to know what is in my kernel without compiling it myself?
>Some kind of query config command?
>This would also be helpful in making decisions about what to put in the
>kernel when configuring it.  Learn by example, you know.

I think that feature may well apear sometime, in the meantime, Debian
have a config file in the /usr/src for the kernel that was built,
perhaps Redhat do the same ?

Terry
--
                 _
               .' `.              Free Micro Burner
               |a_a|   http://w3w.arafuraconnect.com.au/~tp/burn.html
  Debian       \ V /
  2.2.20      /(   )\      Linux Registration Number: 103931
             |\`> < /\           http://counter.li.org
             \_|=='|_/
* OSS is long-term credible ... FUD tactics can not be used to combat it.

UDF aka DIRECTCD with Linux

Post by Eric Wilhel » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 09:17:38

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 07:27:35 -0600, Eric Wilhelm in article

>>Any way to know what is in my kernel without compiling it myself? Some
>>kind of query config command?
>>This would also be helpful in making decisions about what to put in the
>>kernel when configuring it.  Learn by example, you know.

> I think that feature may well apear sometime, in the meantime, Debian
> have a config file in the /usr/src for the kernel that was built,
> perhaps Redhat do the same ?

I am talking about the kernel that was installed from the CD.  For a
first time kernel builder, it would be nice to know what the answers to
all the wierd questions are for the kernel that you have been using
before you decide to configure a new one.

I'll poke around RedHat's site and see what I can find.

--Eric

UDF aka DIRECTCD with Linux

Post by Eric Wilhel » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:06:38

>>> I have not tried it on a CDRW disk but I do use it on my dvdram disks
>>> all the time without problems. I compiled in UDF support and UDF write
>>> support into my kernel and it works.

>> I got a "volume is write protected, mounting read-only" message from
>> mount when I tried it on a CD-RW.   This might be because I don't have
>> the write support in the kernel, or it might be because of how DIRECTCD
>> has set up the CD (there are some check boxes like "use standard cd-rom
>> compatibility" in the DIRECTCD dialouge).  I will have to try it on a
>> fresh disk (mkfs.UDF ?)
> Just wondering: what did you put in your fstab file? or if you just used
> mount, what command line arguments did you use?

I know this looks strange, but all my HD's are on an ATA100 pci card.
As root:
mount -t udf /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom

Kernel is  2.4.7-10 (RedHat7.2)

The cannot stat message was weird.  I could read other files from it.  I
could read that particular file from my laptop (which I have never (I
think) had directcd or any other burning software installed on.  The
laptop is Win2K and has no burner.

I just tried it again with both drives in this box (Plextor 12/10/32 and
a Creative 52x), this time mounting with the "-r" flag.  I still get:

cp: cannot stat `/mnt/cdrom1/EXT/drawing.dwf': Permission denied

I also get this from stat:

/mnt/cdrom1/EXT/drawing.dwf: Permission denied

So, cp has to stat the file before it can copy it?

I get the Permission denied from everything: cp, stat, ls, dd, ...

I wonder if it has something to do with the guy I work with writing to
this disk on his computer, but I copied some of the other files he put on
there and they work fine.  He may have changed some options in DirectCD
between the earlier files and these two that are giving me problems.

I assume that the udf support on Linux is fairly new.  I will have to
read up on it.

--Eric

UDF aka DIRECTCD with Linux

Post by Darre » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 12:27:50

>>> I got a "volume is write protected, mounting read-only" message from
>>> mount when I tried it on a CD-RW.   This might be because I don't have
>>> the write support in the kernel, or it might be because of how
>>> DIRECTCD has set up the CD (there are some check boxes like "use
>>> standard cd-rom compatibility" in the DIRECTCD dialouge).  I will have
>>> to try it on a fresh disk (mkfs.UDF ?)
>> Just wondering: what did you put in your fstab file? or if you just
>> used mount, what command line arguments did you use?

> I know this looks strange, but all my HD's are on an ATA100 pci card. As
> root:
> mount -t udf /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom

> Kernel is  2.4.7-10 (RedHat7.2)

> The cannot stat message was weird.  I could read other files from it.  I
> could read that particular file from my laptop (which I have never (I
> think) had directcd or any other burning software installed on.  The
> laptop is Win2K and has no burner.

> I just tried it again with both drives in this box (Plextor 12/10/32 and
> a Creative 52x), this time mounting with the "-r" flag.  I still get:

> stat `/mnt/cdrom1/EXT/drawing.dwf': Permission denied

> I also get this from stat:

> /mnt/cdrom1/EXT/drawing.dwf: Permission denied

> So, cp has to stat the file before it can copy it?

> I get the Permission denied from everything: cp, stat, ls, dd, ...

> I wonder if it has something to do with the guy I work with writing to
> this disk on his computer, but I copied some of the other files he put
> on there and they work fine.  He may have changed some options in
> DirectCD between the earlier files and these two that are giving me
> problems.

> I assume that the udf support on Linux is fairly new.  I will have to
> read up on it.

> --Eric

This looks like it has to do with the permissions set when the ISO was
created. There is a -r switch that should be used when running the
mkisofs.

UDF aka DIRECTCD with Linux

Post by Eric Wilhel » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 16:23:34

<snip>
>> what command line arguments did you use?

>> I know this looks strange, but all my HD's are on an ATA100 pci card.
>> As root:
>> mount -t udf /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom

>> Kernel is  2.4.7-10 (RedHat7.2)

>> The cannot stat message was weird.  I could read other files from it.
>> I could read that particular file from my laptop (which I have never (I
>> think) had directcd or any other burning software installed on.  The
>> laptop is Win2K and has no burner.

>> I just tried it again with both drives in this box (Plextor 12/10/32
>> and a Creative 52x), this time mounting with the "-r" flag.  I still
>> get:

>> cannot stat `/mnt/cdrom1/EXT/drawing.dwf': Permission denied

>> I also get this from stat:

>> /mnt/cdrom1/EXT/drawing.dwf: Permission denied

>> So, cp has to stat the file before it can copy it?

>> I get the Permission denied from everything: cp, stat, ls, dd, ...

>> I wonder if it has something to do with the guy I work with writing to
>> this disk on his computer, but I copied some of the other files he put
>> on there and they work fine.  He may have changed some options in
>> DirectCD between the earlier files and these two that are giving me
>> problems.

> This looks like it has to do with the permissions set when the ISO was
> created. There is a -r switch that should be used when running the
> mkisofs.

I am root in the above examples.  Is there anything for which root does
not have permission?

This CD-RW was created on windows using the UDF filesystem with DirectCD.
This may be a bug in DirectCD, but how can I read these two files from a windows
box (without Direct CD installed ) but not a Linux one?

mkisofs doesn't (TMK) support UDF. And if it did, how would you use it to
write/overwrite single files on the CD (without re-creating the whole
disc)?

UDF aka DIRECTCD with Linux

Post by Eric Wilhel » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 16:32:24

>> Anyone have any experience with this?

>> I'd like to be able to write to a CD-RW disk without re-writing the
>> entire thing, and I already have several disks which are formatted this
>> way.

>> I am able to mount it, but that seems somewhat buggy.  (when trying to
>> copy from the disk to the HD:  "cp: cannot stat file.dwf") TIA Eric

> Well if you find out, let us all know. I have been trying for a year to
> find an answer to this one.

I see in the source tree for 2.4 kernels, that there is a whole folder of
goodies for you to read.

/usr/src/linux-2.4.7-10/fs/udf

I'm not much of a programmer, but being able to read the source code to
find out why/what your computer is doing is cool even for me.

UDF aka DIRECTCD with Linux

Post by Darre » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 17:06:33

[SNIP]

Quote:>> This looks like it has to do with the permissions set when the ISO was
>> created. There is a -r switch that should be used when running the
>> mkisofs.

> I am root in the above examples.  Is there anything for which root does
> not have permission?

> This CD-RW was created on windows using the UDF filesystem with
> DirectCD. This may be a bug in DirectCD, but how can I read these two
> files from a windows box (without Direct CD installed ) but not a Linux
> one?

> mkisofs doesn't (TMK) support UDF. And if it did, how would you use it
> to write/overwrite single files on the CD (without re-creating the whole
> disc)?

Looks like Im wrong.. not the first time.. won't be the last either.

sounds now like you have a better idea - bug in the
writing software .. a lot of CD-Writing software for MS-Windows is very
good at creating coasters ..

Are you using the Joliet format for burning the CD?

UDF aka DIRECTCD with Linux

Post by Terry Port » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 17:39:38

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 18:17:38 -0600, Eric Wilhelm in article

Quote:>I am talking about the kernel that was installed from the CD.

I know you were, sorry if my reply was ambiguous.

My Debian CD came with a kernel and a "config" file for that kernel
which it installed on my system. This meant that I could clearly see
what my kernel was configured for, as supplied.

Terry
--
                 _
               .' `.              Free Micro Burner
               |a_a|   http://w3w.arafuraconnect.com.au/~tp/burn.html
  Debian       \ V /
  2.2.20      /(   )\      Linux Registration Number: 103931
             |\`> < /\           http://counter.li.org
             \_|=='|_/
* OSS is long-term credible ... FUD tactics can not be used to combat it.

UDF aka DIRECTCD with Linux

Post by Johan Lindqui » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 21:43:38

Sat, 19 Jan 2002 at 00:17 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,

>> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 07:27:35 -0600, Eric Wilhelm in article

>>>Any way to know what is in my kernel without compiling it myself?
>>>Some kind of query config command? This would also be helpful in
>>>making decisions about what to put in the kernel when configuring
>>>it. Learn by example, you know.

>> I think that feature may well apear sometime, in the meantime,
>> Debian have a config file in the /usr/src for the kernel that was
>> built, perhaps Redhat do the same ?

> I am talking about the kernel that was installed from the CD. For a
> first time kernel builder, it would be nice to know what the answers
> to all the wierd questions are for the kernel that you have been
> using before you decide to configure a new one.

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but if you run 'make menuconfig' from
the kernel source dir (without having messed with it after installing
the kernel and kernel-source packages, that is) and save the config to
a file, you'd have the exact configuration used to compile it in that
file for you to browse. You could also just poke around and see what
is ticked off in the menus, but that might be a bit hard to get a good
picture of.

hth,

     /Johan

--
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.        Perth ---> *
  1:40pm  up 37 days, 19:50,  4 users,  load average: 1.37, 1.15, 1.11

UDF aka DIRECTCD with Linux

Post by Terry Port » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 07:29:23

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 13:43:38 +0100, Johan Lindquist in article

Quote:>I wouldn't bet my life on it, but if you run 'make menuconfig' from
>the kernel source dir (without having messed with it after installing
>the kernel and kernel-source packages, that is) and save the config to
>a file, you'd have the exact configuration used to compile it in that
>file for you to browse. You could also just poke around and see what
>is ticked off in the menus, but that might be a bit hard to get a good
>picture of.

DUH! why didnt I think of suggesting that ?

Excellent suggestion Johan, and one that confirms that you are
a smart Linux user.

Terry
--
                 _
               .' `.              Free Micro Burner
               |a_a|   http://w3w.arafuraconnect.com.au/~tp/burn.html
  Debian       \ V /
  2.2.20      /(   )\      Linux Registration Number: 103931
             |\`> < /\           http://counter.li.org
             \_|=='|_/
* OSS is long-term credible ... FUD tactics can not be used to combat it.

1. Mounting DirectCD 3.0 Media (ISO 9660/UDF) / UDF write support

Hi

Does anybody know whether it's possible to mount a DirectCD 3.0 medium
on Linux and if yes, how? A DirectCD 3.0 medium contains a single
session with a single track but two filesystems. An ISO 9660 fs that
contains an UDF reader for Win32 and an UDF fs with actual data. If I
mount such a CD on Linux I see the ISO fs only, which is completely
useless. On Windows you can see the ISO filesystem only when there's no
UDF reader installed. As soon as you install the UDF reader on the ISO
fs, you can see the UDF fs but no longer the ISO fs. Other CD Writer
applications like Nero correctly detect two filesystems on such a
medium, so I assume this is some standard. I use Kernel version 2.2.17
and UDF version 0.9.2.1.

Do the kernel versions 2.4.x support writing to a mounted CD-RW with UDF

(like DirectCD on Windows)? The documentation of the UDF driver says
that this is not possible for 2.2.x versions because of a kernel
limitation. I can of course write to a UDF fs using a loop device and
then burn the image on a CD-RW. But this way I loose the advantages of
UDF.

Thanks in advance
    Daniel

2. Sound Card and Modem with Corel Linux on Compaq 1245 Notebook

3. "DirectCD" for Linux?

4. HELP! PPP Problem

5. Support for 3com Etherlink XL aka 3c900 aka boomerang?

6. Unreliable signals under Linux

7. Mklinux: console very dim with ATI card?

8. Xpmac and "AltGr" aka Mode_switch aka Mod3

9. BarrSNA to Linux - AKA SNA on Linux

10. equivalent of directCD ?????

11. cdrw (directcd software for RH)

12. [PATCH] kexec aka linux booting linux