Windows uptimes - pathetic

Post by Richard Revi » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:27:19

Windows competing on a level playing field at netcraft? Not a chance.

Operating systems which cannot give high or any numbers include:

AIX
Solaris
AS/400
Compaq Tru64
OS/390
SCO UNIX
HP-UX
Linux
Solaris
Recent releases of FreeBSD

So... all the reliable, stable, enterprise class operating systems out there
then?

And even with all those removed from the list, or giving low numbers,
Windows still only gets 3 out of 50 places in the top ten. Pathetic.

It is the * boy of old versions of FreeBSD, not even able to compete
well against a four year old release. Free software wins again.

--
DVD: Disappointing and Very Dear
8:21:29  up 32 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.19, 0.23, 0.18

Windows uptimes - pathetic

Post by GreyClou » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:28:20

> Windows competing on a level playing field at netcraft? Not a chance.

> Operating systems which cannot give high or any numbers include:

> AIX
> Solaris
> AS/400
> Compaq Tru64
> OS/390
> SCO UNIX
> HP-UX
> Linux
> Solaris
> Recent releases of FreeBSD

> So... all the reliable, stable, enterprise class operating systems out there
> then?

You forgot OpenVMS... netcraft can't get anything from that
o/s either.
Netcraft stats are only a rough indicator.  One M$ server in
the entire list is more like a glitch in the stats than
anything else.

Windows uptimes - pathetic

Post by Edward Rost » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:41:26

> Windows competing on a level playing field at netcraft? Not a chance.

> Operating systems which cannot give high or any numbers include:

> AIX
> Solaris
> AS/400
> Compaq Tru64
> OS/390

I believe this one holds the record at over 8 years and still
counting. Just about every bit of hardware has been changed in that
time.

Quote:> SCO UNIX
> HP-UX
> Linux
> Solaris

This now has full hot-swap abilities (OS and hardware). We should see
some pretty impressive uptimes in 6 years or so... :-)

Quote:> Recent releases of FreeBSD

What about VMS. I'd imagine there's some pretty long running systems
out there. Of course, the very high quality hardware helps a lot.

Quote:> It is the * boy of old versions of FreeBSD, not even able to compete
> well against a four year old release. Free software wins again.

I've been trying FreeBSD recently. Ports ricks.

-Ed

Windows uptimes - pathetic

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 04:52:56

> Windows competing on a level playing field at netcraft? Not a chance.

> Operating systems which cannot give high or any numbers include:

> AIX
> Solaris
> AS/400
> Compaq Tru64
> OS/390
> SCO UNIX
> HP-UX
> Linux
> Solaris
> Recent releases of FreeBSD

> So... all the reliable, stable, enterprise class operating systems
> out there then?

> And even with all those removed from the list, or giving low numbers,
> Windows still only gets 3 out of 50 places in the top ten. Pathetic.

> It is the * boy of old versions of FreeBSD, not even able to
> compete well against a four year old release. Free software wins
> again.

Funny you should say this, YOU were the one that was *ing about Windows
uptime on netcraft when it couldn't report uptimes > 49.7 days

http://www.veryComputer.com/%24sr4ql%241%40ID-126341.n...
cis.de

Windows uptimes - pathetic

Post by Erik Funkenbusc » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 07:59:20

>> Windows competing on a level playing field at netcraft? Not a chance.

>> Operating systems which cannot give high or any numbers include:

>> AIX
>> Solaris
>> AS/400
>> Compaq Tru64
>> OS/390
>> SCO UNIX
>> HP-UX
>> Linux
>> Solaris
>> Recent releases of FreeBSD

>> So... all the reliable, stable, enterprise class operating systems
>> out there then?

>> And even with all those removed from the list, or giving low numbers,
>> Windows still only gets 3 out of 50 places in the top ten. Pathetic.

>> It is the * boy of old versions of FreeBSD, not even able to
>> compete well against a four year old release. Free software wins
>> again.

> Funny you should say this, YOU were the one that was *ing about
> Windows uptime on netcraft when it couldn't report uptimes > 49.7 days

http://www.veryComputer.com/%24sr4ql%241%40ID-126341.n...
cis.de

No response?

Windows uptimes - pathetic

Post by Richard Revi » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:13:46

> No response?

I was trying to not be a whining looser insisting on having the last word
;o) Hard to blieve for an advocacy group, but there you go...

I am not bias free. Posts may or may not be tinted by this bias. Its pretty
damn obvious what it is. I am sure you can handle it :o)

--
DVD: Disappointing and Very Dear
7:12:11  up 13:48,  1 user,  load average: 1.78, 1.78, 1.75

1. Uptime rollover, How to tell real uptime?

I have a linux system running 1.2.8  gcc 2.6.3 compiled Dec 28 95
According to the var/adm/messages file it was last booted on
Jan. 2, 1996. This would put the uptime at around 800 days.

Somewhere after 460 days the uptime counter must have rolled over
as the uptime given with "w" started again with low numbers.

I know it was not rebooted as there are daemons running that I started
by hand and are not in scripts.

Is there a way to get the real uptime?

Also I plan to shut it down soon as I am getting scared of fire
hazard due to lots of dust. The internal fan went out a year ago
and I have hung another fan on the back for cooling.

Is this maybe a record uptime??
Dale

Phone:(916)356-5332                     I speak only for myself

2. WT graphics program

3. How does uptime.netcraft.com know my uptime?

4. SCSI problem with Linux 2.0.0 and Sony RMO-S594 (magneto-optical disk)

5. Uptimes: Windows 98SE vs. Vector Linux

6. test ddfadddd

7. Windows vs Linux Uptimes

8. *NIX socket programming question - reading port info

9. Windows 2000 uptime increased dramatically!

10. Windows 2000 in top 50 uptimes... where's Linux?

11. Windows uptimes...

12. LINUX - Pathetic Toy

13. Pathetic bored people.