Should I reformat my hard drive (was: Re: No ACCESS to my A: Drive)

Post by brewh.. » Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>I am also having trouble with my A: drive.  It locks up my machine every
>time I try to access it from within windows98.  In DOS it works great, and
>thusly I am here.

If your A: drive works in DOS and not in Windows, then it must be a bug
in Windows.

Quote:>To reformat is not absolutely the answer.  It is a software issue, having
>some conflict with a windows driver.  To reformat and reinstall, it seems
>only logical that a like install will only reinstall the defective driver
>as well.
>I have been thru 3 reformats for this particular problem, and am no closer
>to having a solution than I was with the first reformat.

It takes a Windows user 3 reformats to discover that they're headed in the
wrong direction.

Quote:>It may help, but dont be too surprised if it does not.

It may take a Windows user MORE than 3 reformats to conclude futility.

Anthony Robbins defines insanity as repeating the same actions to get
different results.

_______
I don't have a problem with Windows users. I just have a problem when they
think M$ invented things, M$ made those things work together, or M$ don't
try to cheat on their taxes.

Should I reformat my hard drive (was: Re: No ACCESS to my A: Drive)

Post by Noah Pa » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

How did this get on c.o.l.a?

>>I am also having trouble with my A: drive.  It locks up my machine every
>>time I try to access it from within windows98.  In DOS it works great, and
>>thusly I am here.

>If your A: drive works in DOS and not in Windows, then it must be a bug
>in Windows.

>>To reformat is not absolutely the answer.  It is a software issue, having
>>some conflict with a windows driver.  To reformat and reinstall, it seems
>>only logical that a like install will only reinstall the defective driver
>>as well.

>>I have been thru 3 reformats for this particular problem, and am no closer
>>to having a solution than I was with the first reformat.

>It takes a Windows user 3 reformats to discover that they're headed in the
>wrong direction.

>>It may help, but dont be too surprised if it does not.

>It may take a Windows user MORE than 3 reformats to conclude futility.

>Anthony Robbins defines insanity as repeating the same actions to get
>different results.

>_______
>I don't have a problem with Windows users. I just have a problem when they
>think M$ invented things, M$ made those things work together, or M$ don't
>try to cheat on their taxes.

Regards,

``Most advice is given for nothing. It's worth it.''

1. Unable to access or mount hard drive/floppy drive from Rescue mode

Hi,

I am trying to boot my Red Hat 6.2 system (PIII 450 Mhz, linux kernel
version 2.2.16) into Rescue mode by booting from the floppy drive, without
accessing the hard drive.  (This is because when I boot into Rescue mode for
real, I will have just formatted the linux filesystems on the hard drive,
and the root partition will not contain a /etc/fstab file. Hence
all the filesystems, including the root filesystem, will not be able to be
mounted.)  FYI, I'm using LILO to dual boot the machine between Win 98 and
Linux; hda1 is FAT32, while hda2 is linux swap and hda3 is linux native
(type 83),

With the Red Hat 6.2 Install CD in the local CD drive and the Red Hat
Install floppy in the floppy drive, I am able to boot into Rescue mode (by
entering "linux rescue" at the "boot:" prompt from the floppy).  (Due to
lack of BIOS support, the system cannot be booted directly from the CD.)

My problem is that after I get the bash shell prompt, I am unable to
mount or otherwise access any of the filesystems on  my hard drive
(/dev/hda1, /dev/hda3) or the floppy drive  (/dev/fd0).  In fact, in the
/dev
directory, the /dev/hda1, /dev/hda3 and /dev/fd0 devices don't even exist.

Does anybody know how I can boot into Rescue mode subject to the following
constraints:
- Booting cleanly from the floppy,
- Without accessing  the hard drive during the boot process,
- But being able to manually access/mount the hard drive filesystems and the
floppy drive after booting.

Thanks,

Dave J.

P.S.  I also tried using the mkbootdisk command to create a boot floppy.
Booting from this floppy failed (kernel panic error message) when the root
filesystem could not be mounted.

2. Best package for AUI 3c503

3. Reformatting hard drives

4. HELP! CDROM MOUNT

5. reformat hard drive to change back to windows

6. Need help setting up client/server configuration ... [ICS]

7. VAIO PCG-R505GL - Reformatting Hard Drive

8. Closing sockets and closing connections

9. Reformatting Linux Hard Drive Partition to DOS format again

10. Howto reformat hard drive?

11. copying hard drive to hard drive

12. Can SUSE 7.2 be installed from a local hard drive to a local hard drive

13. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux