I bet you Linux users have forgotten the "joys" of Microsoft email ?

I bet you Linux users have forgotten the "joys" of Microsoft email ?

Post by Terry Port » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 12:43:59

Heres a little thread from an electronic ng to jog your memories ;-)
                                 oOo

    I just thought everyone should have a heads up on this one.

(intentionally munged address with spaces) that does some really
irritatingthings.  The subject line is "What I can do to help".

    If you receive this, do not view it or open it.  What it does is it
directs you to their web site, then it alters your default browser page
to http://www.veryComputer.com/ and then the fire hoses start.  All kinds of
*loads on your machine, ending up with a forced task termination or
reboot.
    I get an access violation in MSIMN and it happens so quickly that
you cannot copy the header or source information- I had to disconnect the
cable to get the information for the abuse report. I hope they catch and kill
the idiot that did this.

                                  oOo
What E-mail software are you using that runs executables without
asking?
                                  oOo
 Outlook express under Wind Hose '98 SE, and I have everything
disabled.
I am still trying to figure out exactly how it did it.
                                  oOo

Outlook/Express (anything that uses an embedded copy of Internet
Explorer, basically) will auto-run JavaScript/VBScripts that can take you to a
page with real malicious content.
                                    oOo

Now before Erik or Flatty reply with "not configured properly"
you should know that these people are engineers, not *joe sixpack*.

Terry
--
Sig currently feeding the reaperbots:-

I bet you Linux users have forgotten the "joys" of Microsoft email ?

Post by Marc Jord » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 18:21:09

Even when I can if I take the time to do it, understand
the motives to allow executables being runned from inside
mail messages, it is beyond the greatest stupidity not having
a big clear and default setting to fully unallowing it ... but
it seems that Microsoft is slow understanding things, since we
are now OE 6 and still unsuccessfully fixed.

   Marc Jordan.

I bet you Linux users have forgotten the "joys" of Microsoft email ?

Post by Jim Richardso » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 18:47:46

On Fri, 01 Feb 2002 09:17:18 GMT,

>> Outlook/Express (anything that uses an embedded copy of Internet
>> Explorer, basically) will auto-run JavaScript/VBScripts that can take
>> you to a page with real malicious content.
>>                                     oOo

>> Now before Erik or Flatty reply with "not configured properly"
>> you should know that these people are engineers, not *joe sixpack*.

> They obviously do not know how to configure their systems.

> I meet a lot of clueless engineers, happens on a rather frequent basis.
> Anybody can go to school and pay for a piece of paper (degree) that
> states that they're an engineer, but that doesn't mean they actually know
> anything or have any practical experience. Occasionaly a good engineer
> does come along, they're very rare.

Erik allready claimed you shouldn't blame the user for misconfiguring
the system, the system should prevent him from being able to*it
up.

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

I bet you Linux users have forgotten the "joys" of Microsoft email ?

Post by James E. Freedle I » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 19:50:04

(Snip)

Quote:> > They obviously do not know how to configure their systems.

> > I meet a lot of clueless engineers, happens on a rather frequent basis.
> > Anybody can go to school and pay for a piece of paper (degree) that
> > states that they're an engineer, but that doesn't mean they actually
know
> > anything or have any practical experience. Occasionaly a good engineer
> > does come along, they're very rare.

Most schools are stuck in 20 year old standards that complete do not make
sense in these days of computing techology. Take for instance, my school is
requiring you to use the APA format. In that format, you have to use
parenthetical references. This negates the use of footnotes or endnote
feature of moderm word processors. This is an exercise in supreme stupidity.
I guess that I will use the footnotes/endnotes feature, and then undo them
when finalizing the report.
Quote:

> Erik allready claimed you shouldn't blame the user for misconfiguring
> the system, the system should prevent him from being able to*it
> up.

The system should not protect the user, it should inform the user as the
potential problem changing these settings should it. The software should
correctly allow the user to do what he wants.
Quote:

Post by Mark Style » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 23:29:25

>>Now before Erik or Flatty reply with "not configured properly"
>>you should know that these people are engineers, not *joe sixpack*.

>>Terry
>Faulty logic.

>Just because someone knows how to design a computer doesn't mean she knows how
>to use one.

But I thought Windows was so user friendly that you didn't need to
know how to 'use a computer'. You just switch it on and go, right?

I guess not.

I bet you Linux users have forgotten the "joys" of Microsoft email ?

Post by Marc Jorda » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 00:19:30

   Wasn't Terry the one that was fed up of talking
about Windows related things ? ... I may be wrong.

I bet you Linux users have forgotten the "joys" of Microsoft email ?

One of the reasons I have always used Eudora for my Winders e-mail!!

Post by Jerry Na » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 01:18:43

>> Outlook/Express (anything that uses an embedded copy of Internet
>> Explorer, basically) will auto-run JavaScript/VBScripts that can take
>> you to a page with real malicious content.
>>                                     oOo

>> Now before Erik or Flatty reply with "not configured properly"
>> you should know that these people are engineers, not *joe sixpack*.

>They obviously do not know how to configure their systems.

Yeah, the engineers at Microsoft don't know how to configure the
servers at Microsoft either, or do you have a short memory?

Quote:>I meet a lot of clueless engineers, happens on a rather frequent basis.
>Anybody can go to school and pay for a piece of paper (degree) that
>states that they're an engineer, but that doesn't mean they actually know
>anything or have any practical experience. Occasionaly a good engineer
>does come along, they're very rare.

You have just described engineering at Microsoft.
Quote:>--

Post by Jerry Na » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 01:20:37

>(Snip)
>> > They obviously do not know how to configure their systems.

>> > I meet a lot of clueless engineers, happens on a rather frequent basis.
>> > Anybody can go to school and pay for a piece of paper (degree) that
>> > states that they're an engineer, but that doesn't mean they actually
>know
>> > anything or have any practical experience. Occasionaly a good engineer
>> > does come along, they're very rare.

>Most schools are stuck in 20 year old standards that complete do not make
>sense in these days of computing techology. Take for instance, my school is
>requiring you to use the APA format. In that format, you have to use
>parenthetical references. This negates the use of footnotes or endnote
>feature of moderm word processors. This is an exercise in supreme stupidity.
>I guess that I will use the footnotes/endnotes feature, and then undo them
>when finalizing the report.

Don't label all schools with the same stupidity that your particular
school happens to practice.  Why don't you go to a better school?

Quote:

Post by Jerry Na » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 01:26:13

>One of the reasons I have always used Eudora for my Winders e-mail!!

Yeah, sure.  And you post with Microsoft Outlook Express.

Post by Arthu » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 02:17:20

>    Wasn't Terry the one that was fed up of talking
> about Windows related things ? ... I may be wrong.

Don't think so. I started a thread saying I wouldn't
bash Windows anymore (but not that I wouldn't bash
MS). I think I've stuck to that more or less, not
that I think anyone cares all that much anyway.

Arthur

Post by Joe Potte » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 04:35:55

> On Fri, 01 Feb 2002 10:50:04 GMT, James E. Freedle II

>>(Snip)

>>know

>>Most schools are stuck in 20 year old standards that complete do not
>>make sense in these days of computing techology. Take for instance, my
>>school is requiring you to use the APA format. In that format, you have
>>to use parenthetical references. This negates the use of footnotes or
>>endnote feature of moderm word processors. This is an exercise in
>>supreme stupidity. I guess that I will use the footnotes/endnotes
>>feature, and then undo them when finalizing the report.

> Don't label all schools with the same stupidity that your particular
> school happens to practice.  Why don't you go to a better school?

I have not a single dog in this fight. However, I do note that he wrote
"most schools" and you responded with "all schools."

Perhaps you missed the difference between "most" and "all" in your LA
classes?

--
Regards, Joe

Post by Stephen How » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 05:56:15

Quote:> I meet a lot of clueless engineers, happens on a rather frequent basis.
> Anybody can go to school and pay for a piece of paper (degree) that
> states that they're an engineer, but that doesn't mean they actually know
> anything or have any practical experience. Occasionaly a good engineer
> does come along, they're very rare.

Minus0ne,

I  am not clueless but IMO any email package that does not prevent my
brothers, father and mother from screwing up their system, must be from a
source that is clueless.

Stephen Howe

I bet you Linux users have forgotten the "joys" of Microsoft email ?

Post by Terry Port » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 07:45:03

SubZer0 went insane and wrote the following
on his bedroom wall with an old crayon:

>> Outlook/Express (anything that uses an embedded copy of Internet
>> Explorer, basically) will auto-run JavaScript/VBScripts that can take
>> you to a page with real malicious content.
>>                                     oOo

>> Now before Erik or Flatty reply with "not configured properly"
>> you should know that these people are engineers, not *joe sixpack*.

>They obviously do not know how to configure their systems.

I thought Windows was user friendly ?

Guess not!

Quote:

>I meet a lot of clueless engineers,

You're an idiot, and I'd say one who has never actually engineered
*anything*.

Quote:> happens on a rather frequent basis.
>Anybody can go to school and pay for a piece of paper (degree) that
>states that they're an engineer, but that doesn't mean they actually know
>anything or have any practical experience.

You have no idea of the amount of *hard* work required to get a degree,
you vacuous, empty headded, bufoon.

Quote:> Occasionaly a good engineer
>does come along, they're very rare.

You wouldnt know either way, pal.

Now before anyone thinks I'm an engineer, please be aware that I'm not.

However I've worked with and for degreed engineers and they have forgotten
more than subzero will ever know.

Terry
--
Sig currently feeding the reaperbots:-

I bet you Linux users have forgotten the "joys" of Microsoft email ?

Post by Terry Port » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 07:46:46

Jerry Nash went insane and wrote the following
on his bedroom wall with an old crayon:

>>> Outlook/Express (anything that uses an embedded copy of Internet
>>> Explorer, basically) will auto-run JavaScript/VBScripts that can take
>>> you to a page with real malicious content.
>>>                                     oOo

>>> Now before Erik or Flatty reply with "not configured properly"
>>> you should know that these people are engineers, not *joe sixpack*.

>>They obviously do not know how to configure their systems.

>Yeah, the engineers at Microsoft don't know how to configure the
>servers at Microsoft either, or do you have a short memory?

Perhaps "substandard" ould fint the nearest engineer and get him to
write down "Code-Red" so subby can learn to spell it ?

Terry
--
Sig currently feeding the reaperbots:-