Why does Linux need to gain popularity?

Post by Chris Dor » Tue, 08 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: People who use Linux seem to be happy with it.  Why is "popularity"
: considered desirable?  I suppose there's the issue of application
: pull (more popular => more native Linux apps), but on the other hand

     Applications is all.. but really those who use it can get by with
several of the things already there. Plus its popular enough now that major
companies are starting to port software to put out versions for linux. As for
a larger userbase. I see enough dumb questions from ppl using other
operating systems and even linux users just because they forget rule #1 RTFM
:>

WWW: http://www.umr.edu/~dorf/      [note: Additions to be made with time]
IRC nicks: SDancer, Bahmut, and Tlieulax
"There is a fine line between Genius and Insanity..
                                 .. I have erased this line."
    - Shadow Dancer '93

Why does Linux need to gain popularity?

Post by dave port » Tue, 08 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I'm vaguely amused by the "what Linux needs to gain popularity"
thread.  Why question is, "why?".

People who use Linux seem to be happy with it.  Why is "popularity"
considered desirable?  I suppose there's the issue of application
pull (more popular => more native Linux apps), but on the other hand
there's also the issue that more and more non-hacker users means
that Linux would grow into that which it despises: a big system
with a large use base who don't want you to change a damn line
of code in case something breaks and they won't know how to fix
it.

I think you've got to choose between being cool and being mass-market
popular.  I'd take "cool" if I were you!

dave (admitted Linux non-user)