will SuSE (or others) run "RedHat" applications??

will SuSE (or others) run "RedHat" applications??

Post by Derek Sive » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm going to be buying SuSE 6.2.
Installing Linux for my first time on a home PC  (whoo-hoo!)

THE BIG QUESTION:
I almost went for RedHat becuase it's more "famous" - which means more
supported (?) by application developers.

Or - is this whole point moot, because any Linux application runs in
any distribution of Linux?  (SuSE, Mandrake, Slack, RedHat...)

I thought I remembered somewhere seeing something that said,
"__[application name]____ installer for RedHat linux".   (It was I
think a little part of an E-commerce setup I was doing.)

Made me worried.  So...
WILL ANY REDHAT APP RUN ON SuSE?

Thanks for your feedback!

Derek Sivers

Post by Tim Hans » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I'm going to be buying SuSE 6.2.
>Installing Linux for my first time on a home PC  (whoo-hoo!)

>THE BIG QUESTION:
>I almost went for RedHat becuase it's more "famous" - which means more
>supported (?) by application developers.

>Or - is this whole point moot, because any Linux application runs in
>any distribution of Linux?  (SuSE, Mandrake, Slack, RedHat...)

>I thought I remembered somewhere seeing something that said,
>"__[application name]____ installer for RedHat linux".   (It was I
>think a little part of an E-commerce setup I was doing.)

>Made me worried.  So...
>WILL ANY REDHAT APP RUN ON SuSE?

Close enough, but you're not there yet, and you won't be for a while.  I'm a
satisfied SuSE customer, although I have a current copy of Red Hat on one of my
systems.  The advantage of SuSE is all the software on those five (soon to be
six) CDs, more than any other distro around, including items Red Hat calls
"Power Tools" and charges extra.  Chances are the Red Hat programs you think you
will need are already on the SuSE distribution CDs.  Definitely lots of bang for
the buck.

To answer your question, SuSE uses the Red Hat Package Manager (rpm) to install
programs, just like Red Hat.  There are subtle differences in a few file
locations, but most Red Hat applications will install.  If they don't source
code is available for compiling onto your computer.  I know that sounds like a
big deal, but compiling software isn't as intimidating one would think it is.

If you're thinking of SuSE, you may wish to hold off until after August 9, the
release date of SuSE 6.2.  SuSE has been updating roughly 4 times a year, and
the newest version is _always_ worth the wait.

Email me if you have any install glitches.

Post by Bobby D. Bryan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> To answer your question, SuSE uses the Red Hat Package Manager (rpm) to install
> programs, just like Red Hat.  There are subtle differences in a few file
> locations, but most Red Hat applications will install.  If they don't source
> code is available for compiling onto your computer.  I know that sounds like a
> big deal, but compiling software isn't as intimidating one would think it is.

Since we're on the topic, how often do you get any significant advantage out of
recompiling your software?  I assume most distros submit to the LCD and release
i386 binaries (one exception shipping i586 instead, IIRC).  But suppose you run a
Pentium Pro, PIII, K6-III, etc. -- are there any processor-specific optimizations
that would give you tangible performance boost out of recompiling as much as
possible?

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

will SuSE (or others) run "RedHat" applications??

Post by Matthias Wark » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

It was the Fri, 30 Jul 1999 01:18:35 GMT...

Quote:> I'm going to be buying SuSE 6.2.
> Installing Linux for my first time on a home PC  (whoo-hoo!)

> THE BIG QUESTION:
> I almost went for RedHat becuase it's more "famous" - which means more
> supported (?) by application developers.

> Or - is this whole point moot, because any Linux application runs in
> any distribution of Linux?  (SuSE, Mandrake, Slack, RedHat...)

> I thought I remembered somewhere seeing something that said,
> "__[application name]____ installer for RedHat linux".   (It was I
> think a little part of an E-commerce setup I was doing.)

> Made me worried.  So...
> WILL ANY REDHAT APP RUN ON SuSE?

Yes. Any Linux application will compile on every Linux distro with the
proper libraries installed.

Binaries should be interchangeable, too. Especially with RedHat vs.
SuSE, there was a little problem known which doesn't happen with other
distributions, but which has been fixed.

Generally, applications for the same CPU architecture should be
interchangeable without a problem. Now, if you're talking entire
packages, there can be problems because the directory structure may be
different.

If there is one piece of advice I could give you for your further
ventures with Linux: always get RPMs for the correct version of the
correct distro. Or compile from source. That always works.

mawa
--
An authority is a person who can tell you more about something than you
really care to know.

Post by Joe_B.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > To answer your question, SuSE uses the Red Hat Package Manager (rpm) to install
> > programs, just like Red Hat.  There are subtle differences in a few file
> > locations, but most Red Hat applications will install.  If they don't source
> > code is available for compiling onto your computer.  I know that sounds like a
> > big deal, but compiling software isn't as intimidating one would think it is.

> Since we're on the topic, how often do you get any significant advantage out of
> recompiling your software?  I assume most distros submit to the LCD and release
> i386 binaries (one exception shipping i586 instead, IIRC).  But suppose you run a
> Pentium Pro, PIII, K6-III, etc. -- are there any processor-specific optimizations
> that would give you tangible performance boost out of recompiling as much as
> possible?

It depends on te application I think. I like to compile everything I add
from source once an install has been done. However, I usually install only
the base stuff from the CDs and normally don't use any of the larger
applications like StarOffice. Library and performance issues aside I prefer
this method. If I were to consider using something like KDE I would first
try to compile it on my systems and, if this proved to be more work than it
was worth, try to install a binary distribution from RPMs.

I'd say that in most cases you won't notice a difference. I happen to like
the control that compiling all my own stuff gives me. For most relatively
small applications like fetchmail and ddd compiling is really quite simple,
and, I think, worth it for the experience alone (especially if the compile
fails and you find out why and fix it; but then this is the kind of thing I
like to do. I don't play any games -- I do this sort of thing instead :).

Post by Jay Fi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> > To answer your question, SuSE uses the Red Hat Package Manager (rpm) to install
>> > programs, just like Red Hat.  There are subtle differences in a few file
>> > locations, but most Red Hat applications will install.  If they don't source
>> > code is available for compiling onto your computer.  I know that sounds like a
>> > big deal, but compiling software isn't as intimidating one would think it is.

>> Since we're on the topic, how often do you get any significant advantage out of
>> recompiling your software?  I assume most distros submit to the LCD and release
>> i386 binaries (one exception shipping i586 instead, IIRC).  But suppose you run a
>> Pentium Pro, PIII, K6-III, etc. -- are there any processor-specific optimizations
>> that would give you tangible performance boost out of recompiling as much as
>> possible?

On another note, sometimes recompiling a very task oriented system
helps a little. Say for instance you wanted to setup a small (I mean
real small) DHCPd server. You can build a micro disto on a floppy with
dhcp. Poof - network appliance.

Although that is completely different than what you guys are talking
about it does illustrate where recompileing the OS can come in handy.

Then again - could just goto linuxrouter.org and download their tiny
distro :)

--/J

will SuSE (or others) run "RedHat" applications??

Post by Tim Hans » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> To answer your question, SuSE uses the Red Hat Package Manager (rpm) to install
>> programs, just like Red Hat.  There are subtle differences in a few file
>> locations, but most Red Hat applications will install.  If they don't source
>> code is available for compiling onto your computer.  I know that sounds like a
>> big deal, but compiling software isn't as intimidating one would think it is.

>Since we're on the topic, how often do you get any significant advantage out of
>recompiling your software?  I assume most distros submit to the LCD and release
>i386 binaries (one exception shipping i586 instead, IIRC).  But suppose you run a
>Pentium Pro, PIII, K6-III, etc. -- are there any processor-specific optimizations
>that would give you tangible performance boost out of recompiling as much as
>possible?

Frankly, I don't have a clue.  I have a low end (K6-2 300) system and the
subject of compiling for optimization hasn't come up.  The only compiling I've
done is out of necessity, when I can't get a binary, with the exception of
tweaking zImage for my setup.

sorry, can't help.

Post by Young4er » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I'm going to be buying SuSE 6.2.
> Installing Linux for my first time on a home PC  (whoo-hoo!)

> THE BIG QUESTION:
> I almost went for RedHat becuase it's more "famous" - which means more
> supported (?) by application developers.

> Or - is this whole point moot, because any Linux application runs in
> any distribution of Linux?  (SuSE, Mandrake, Slack, RedHat...)

> I thought I remembered somewhere seeing something that said,
> "__[application name]____ installer for RedHat linux".   (It was I
> think a little part of an E-commerce setup I was doing.)

> Made me worried.  So...
> WILL ANY REDHAT APP RUN ON SuSE?

> Thanks for your feedback!

> Derek Sivers

From what I have seen from the responses to this post is that there should
be no problem in running apps from any Linux distro to SuSE-6.1 Linux distro
or vice versa.  That said, I did try to remove the tcsh package from
SuSE-6.1 distro and installed a tcsh package from RedHat-6.0 distro to no
avail.  The rpm complained could not find the proper libs that were also
installed and made available with the ldconfig.  What seemed to be the
problem?  The answer is "I dunno!"  Maybe, someone ought to give it a try
and post the answer.

Certainly, the bad experience that I mentioned above does not justify that
apps from other Linux distros will not run on SuSE-6.1 Linux distro or vice
versa.

--

PS. Please remove 4 from the reply address should you decide to reply.

Post by Arthu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Binaries should be interchangeable, too. Especially with RedHat vs.
> SuSE, there was a little problem known which doesn't happen with other
> distributions, but which has been fixed.

I'm kind of curious why this thread is "Will RH apps run on
SuSE", since one of the reasons a lot of us choose SuSE is
that it contains so many more apps out of the box than RH does.
That said, I suppose some apps are released in RH versions
first and maybe as the only binary release in some cases.
I've never had a problem installing "Red Hat" binaries
on my SuSE system.

Quote:> Generally, applications for the same CPU architecture should be
> interchangeable without a problem. Now, if you're talking entire
> packages, there can be problems because the directory structure may be
> different.
> If there is one piece of advice I could give you for your further
> ventures with Linux: always get RPMs for the correct version of the
> correct distro. Or compile from source. That always works.

You can always try to install an RPM and see if works. The
worst that'll happen is that it won't work and you uninstall
it again. RPM installs are very fast (usually under a minute),
don't require that you reboot, don't alter your configuration
files, and don't replace your system's libraries with
incompatible versions. When you uninstall an RPM, it actually
uninstalls - a novel concept.

Arthur

Post by Bob Marti » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > I'm going to be buying SuSE 6.2.
> > Installing Linux for my first time on a home PC  (whoo-hoo!)

> > THE BIG QUESTION:
> > I almost went for RedHat becuase it's more "famous" - which means more
> > supported (?) by application developers.

> > Or - is this whole point moot, because any Linux application runs in
> > any distribution of Linux?  (SuSE, Mandrake, Slack, RedHat...)

> > I thought I remembered somewhere seeing something that said,
> > "__[application name]____ installer for RedHat linux".   (It was I
> > think a little part of an E-commerce setup I was doing.)

> > Made me worried.  So...
> > WILL ANY REDHAT APP RUN ON SuSE?

> > Thanks for your feedback!

> > Derek Sivers

> From what I have seen from the responses to this post is that there should
> be no problem in running apps from any Linux distro to SuSE-6.1 Linux distro
> or vice versa.  That said, I did try to remove the tcsh package from
> SuSE-6.1 distro and installed a tcsh package from RedHat-6.0 distro to no
> avail.  The rpm complained could not find the proper libs that were also
> installed and made available with the ldconfig.  What seemed to be the
> problem?  The answer is "I dunno!"  Maybe, someone ought to give it a try
> and post the answer.

The answer is like the error message said, dependency errors with the
libs. RH 6.0 is built with the 2.1 glibc, suse uses 2.0 glibc. Install
the 2.1 glibc package on suse and it will work, but why bother
installing tcsh from RH over SuSe, what the diff ? In general if each
distro was built on the same libs, you could intall from any to any.

will SuSE (or others) run "RedHat" applications??

Post by Derek Siver » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

A big general THANKS to all the advice here.  (I'm the newbie that started this
thread.)

I'm now running SuSE 6.2 - and I'm VERY happy.  This is amazing.

I struggled with RedHat for weeks, never did get it to work.

SuSE was a breeze and here I am with a smile.

If anyone is considering it, SuSE is amazing (now with *6* CDs FULL of
everything.)

Check out...

http://www.suse.com/

Derek Sivers