How to set multicast routes ?

Post by Ingo Rohlof » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I already got a working multicast route for my local ethernet by
adding

route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev eth0

But AFAIK it should be possible to route multicast packets over
a gateway to into another net (e.g. over a ppp line - if this is possible -
or another ethernet)

What do I have to do with the gateway ?

Just add a second route statement ?
(like
  route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev eth1)

so long
  Ingo

1. setting up multicast routing...

Hello, I'm a new user of linux and have been building a linux router in my
testing lab.  I have basic routing working fine between two subnets.  I've
recompiled the kernel using v2.2.2 according to the FAQs on multicast
routing.  The FAQ seems to indicate that simple multicast routing will work
as long as the kernel is compiled correctly and the routing table on the
linux machine has a route for 224.0.0.0 with a subnet of 240.0.0.0 using
interface eth1.  If this is correct, I must be missing something, because
multicast packets aren't getting through to the other subnet (eth1).  I have
a tunl0 (IP tunneling) interface because I compiled that in the kernel, but
the FAQ indicated that this was only needed if using mrouted.  Is that the
case?  If I do need to set up tunl0, how is it to be configured?
The FAQ seems to indicate that mrouted is only used if you want to control
what multicasting gets routed and which does not.  If I have to set this up
as well, I'm not real good at working with the source code and could use
some help in getting it compiled to run on RedHat 5.2n with kernel v2.2.2.
As stated above, I also am not familiar with how to set up the tunneling
interface that mrouted supposedly needs.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

2. Console set to serial port - how to change back?

3. Advantages of using Linux? - Need some pointers

4. adding multicast route to the kernel

5. A1000 & Solaris 9, long boot time slow

6. routed for multicast ?

7. Help Needed With IP Alias and Login

8. Help Multicast routing under Linux

9. multicast routing