Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 PPP Dial-in Server Set-up HOW-TO

Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 PPP Dial-in Server Set-up HOW-TO

Post by Vince Cho » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I need some help regarding setting up a Linux-based PPP dial-in Web
Server.

More specifically, I am trying to set up a system running on Caldera
OpenLinux 2.3 OS. I have already successfully set up one such system
and it is running perfectly. The Apache httpd server is also set-up
correctly and runing properly. Now, the difficult comes when I need to
use this Linux-based machine as an internal web server to serve web
pages for another PC hooked up to this web server by means of
telephone dial-up (I need this kind of configuration for my firm's
testing purpose). That means, a device (PC or a hand-held device etc)
connects to the Linux-configured PC by means of phone PPP dial-up, and
once dialled up (the Linux server will detect the PPP dial-in), will
need to enter username and password to log on. Once logged on, the
Linux server will serve webpages to the device that ask for it through
a Web browser.

On the web server side, I have connected a modem to the serial COM1
port (set up as ttyS0), and using KPPP in KDE, I also managed to set
up and sucessfully dialled into my ISP. Following from here, I
referred to the Caldera OpenLinux Documentation on how to configure
such system (that I want to have), configured it (modify some text
settings on /etc/gettytab and /etc/inittab), tried dialling in but NOT
working (ringing tone was heard but the Linux system did not pcik up
the call at all). Worse, now I can't even dial-up to my ISP. Testing
the modem in KPPP set-up shows that it is not detecting the modem
well. I suspect that it is because of changing the configuration of
the getty-related files that caused this problem.

As for the Linux server system, it will not be connected to the
Internet. It will just be a stand-alone Linux server for the sole
intention of serving web pages to a PC dialled into this Linux system
thru PPP.

Could someone who have done such a set-up before or who knows how to
set-up a PPP dial-in server with OpenLinux advise me on how I could
successfully set up one?  Or are there websites or any helpful
resources that has specific procedures for such a set-up?

Your kindness would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Regards,
Vince

1. Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 PPP Dial-in Server Set-up HOW-TO

[...]

2. 75E48FC8 Visio for Linux

3. 2.3 -> 2.7 via Dial-up (Re: CVS over 'dropping' dial-ups)

4. How to get rid of /proc (Full Backup

5. Caldera Openlinux and 2.3.xx

6. NFS load balancing advice needed

7. Newbie: Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 won't install

8. kernel compiling

9. Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 on IBM Thinkpad 755CD?

10. Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 RAM requirements?

11. Printing woes under Caldera OpenLinux 2.3

12. kPPP w/ Caldera OpenLinux 2.3

13. Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 and 3Com 3c509b-TPC NIC card question