Looking for a bit oriented Lex/yacc

Post by Philippe Le Fol » Sat, 17 May 1997 04:00:00

Does someone know a product that could help in designing communication
protocol layer, I am dreaming of a LEX/YACC tool where we could
define bit patern but any other system could be nice.

My only requirement is that the generated code should be C/C++

Any ideas are wellcome

Philippe

Looking for a bit oriented Lex/yacc

Post by Michael Pool » Sun, 18 May 1997 04:00:00

        One possibility that occurs to me is to change the 'yyin' file
handle used, so that you process the incoming data to bytes to go from
single bits to whole bytes -- i.e. 'A' (65) would expand to '01000001',
which standard lex and yacc can handle easily.
        Of course, that's a quick hack likely to provide really, really
bad performance, but for a prototype that might be acceptable; for a real
system, unless the protocol is truly complicated, it might be a better bet
to not use an explicit lexer/parser combination (going in favor of, say, a
recursive descent parser).

> Does someone know a product that could help in designing communication
> protocol layer, I am dreaming of a LEX/YACC tool where we could
> define bit patern but any other system could be nice.

> My only requirement is that the generated code should be C/C++

> Any ideas are wellcome

> Philippe

1. Object-oriented lex(flex) and yacc(bison) for c++?

I'm interested in using lex and yacc to implement a parser for one of
my projects, and would really like to know if there's something out
there that facilitates something a little easier to incorperate it into
my c++ code.  I'd like to have a Parser class, which uses the two
utilities.  What's out there that might help, or be of interest?

Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated...

[I prefer email responses, since I don't have time to read news often.]

-Christian

2. How to tell which bootloader is using?

3. Looking for lex/yacc compiler tools for DOS/Windows

4. MuPad Fragen

5. looking for good lex and yacc demos

6. SOLARIS: LWP vs thread use in app libraries

7. YACC + YACC = YACC

8. Performance Monitor

9. Lex, YACC - when first in Unix?

10. YACC & LEX under Microsoft Windows

11. lex/yacc problem: parsing only part of text stream

12. The Lex & Yacc source code for C++

13. lex and yacc problem