Filesystem avail yet for Windows NT???

Post by Bill Lawrenc » Sun, 09 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I recently read in a magazine that there are copies of a
filesystem on linux that supports NTFS or the Windows NT
filesystem. Does anyone know where I can find this, or what
kernel it might be in?

                     thanks, bill

Filesystem avail yet for Windows NT???

Post by Gilles Volla » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I'll be A LOT interrested by that !
I've only modified the fs/msdos of Linux 1.3.8 for support FAT with
long file name, compatible with long file name of Windows NT 3.5 and
Windows 95. This allow us share a FAT partition and files between
Linux and Windows, with long name...
(ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/Incoming/doslfn01.tgz)

>I recently read in a magazine that there are copies of a
>filesystem on linux that supports NTFS or the Windows NT
>filesystem. Does anyone know where I can find this, or what
>kernel it might be in?
>                     thanks, bill

Filesystem avail yet for Windows NT???

Post by Linas Petr » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Filed the following away, but it appears that it is not yet available. Tried
the URL and it just refused the connection :-(

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 1995 13:40:10 GMT
Subject: Re: NTFS for Linux
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system

>Is anybody working on getting Linux to read and write to partitions
>formatted for the NT file system? Currently Linux sees NT partitions
>as HPFS partitions, but can't actually read or write to them.

I'm releasing my NTFS driver to the general public shortly. Check
out http://informatik.hu-berlin.de/~loewis/ntfs for details.

Regards,
Martin

Post by Martin v. Loew » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>I'll be A LOT interrested by that !

Please have a look at
http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~loewis/ntfs. Mail me if you have
problems with it.

Quote:>I've only modified the fs/msdos of Linux 1.3.8 for support FAT with
>long file name, compatible with long file name of Windows NT 3.5 and
>Windows 95. This allow us share a FAT partition and files between
>Linux and Windows, with long name...
>(ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/Incoming/doslfn01.tgz)

You can also check out
mm-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu:/pub/multimedia/linux/xmsdos/xmsdos-0.1.tgz
who did the same thing. Maybe you can come up with a joined version
for Linux 1.3.

Regards,
Martin

Filesystem avail yet for Windows NT???

Post by Gordon Chaff » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I think this particular extension should go into the standard msdos fs of
>Linux 1.3. Users will demand it very soon as Win95 and NT become more common.
>If it works correctly, it does not hurt anything, as it is mostly backward
>compatible (except for those pre-Win95 FAT repair tools). Maybe it should
>be a mount option.

Gilles Vollant (author of doslfn) and I are planning on working together
to support long filenames.  We are planning on having a mount option
where you can use the msdos filesystem without long filenames.

Quote:>I agree that umsdos should use the same scheme for long file names. This
>is somewhat difficult, as the current scheme is incompatible. In the end,
>this is up to the umsdos authors.

Actually, it isn't too difficult.  umsdos has the ---LINUX.--- in which
it keeps info about long -> short filename mappings as well as permissions.
It should still keep mapping information for filenames that can't be
created under VFAT.  For backward compatability, it checks for any file
that has a mapping in --LINUX.---.  It no mapping exists, it passes the
name down to the msdos filesystem, which would now support the long
filenames.

The only real difference would be file creation.  Umsdos could just
replace its current name mangling scheme with another that allows
VFAT long filenames to be created.

Gordon Chaffee

--

Albert Cahalan

Post by Martin v. Loew » Sun, 16 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Gilles Vollant (author of doslfn) and I are planning on working together
>to support long filenames.  We are planning on having a mount option
>where you can use the msdos filesystem without long filenames.

Good news!!

Quote:>Actually, it isn't too difficult.  umsdos has the ---LINUX.--- in which
>it keeps info about long -> short filename mappings as well as permissions.
>It should still keep mapping information for filenames that can't be
>created under VFAT.  For backward compatability, it checks for any file
>that has a mapping in --LINUX.---.  It no mapping exists, it passes the
>name down to the msdos filesystem, which would now support the long
>filenames.

There is a potential problem with that approach as Posix allows for situations
which are not possbile with VFAT. For example, you could have both
Makefile and makefile in a directory. I don't know how umsdos handles that
now, but in with VFAT, this would be not possible. umsdos could either fail
creation of one of the files, or create a mapping, or silently access the
wrong file. I don't know which of these options is most desirable.

Regards,
Martin

Post by Gordon Chaff » Mon, 17 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>There is a potential problem with that approach as Posix allows for situations
>which are not possbile with VFAT. For example, you could have both
>Makefile and makefile in a directory. I don't know how umsdos handles that
>now, but in with VFAT, this would be not possible. umsdos could either fail
>creation of one of the files, or create a mapping, or silently access the
>wrong file. I don't know which of these options is most desirable.

You've definitely got a point I had forgotten to take into account.
Since umsdos maps filenames, it can just create a unique name mapping when
a case insensitive conflict occurs.  For most cases, the name would be
the same as the VFAT name.  In a few cases such as Makefile and makefile
being in the same directory, either Makefile or makefile would map to
a different filename so a VFAT filesystem would not be confused.

Gordon Chaffee

1. DDE to TCP/IP Comm Driver Avail,DDE2TCP,Demo Program Avail,Custom Drivers Avail

        DDE to TCP/IP Real Time Data Pump

DDE2TCP, is a Real Time Data Pump used as a data bridge
between DDE applications and ANY host system using
TCP/IP (SUN,HP,IBM,Apple, etc).  DDE2TCP runs in the
background, totally transparent between server and target
system.

DDE2TCP is perfect for use with any MMI system or spread
sheet such as FIX,WONDERWARE,GENESIS,LabTech,EXCEL,LOTUS
for real time update of SQL databases residing on other hosts.
DDE2TCP comes with it's own configurator for fast and effective
setup.  DDE2TCP runs on WINDOWS 3.1,3.11,95 and NT.  Site
licenses,volume discounts and modifications are available.
For more information on this product or our other porducts
and custom services contact:

                Marshall Rowe
                Custom Technology
                640 N. LaSalle Ste 284
                (773) 384-4104

        VISIT our WEB
        site    WWW.CUSTOM-TECH.COM

2. Comments on stability of OC Celeron 300A?

3. Yet Another Way To Crash Windows NT

4. slackware floppy installation

5. Windows NT file system support, is it here yet?

6. Linux working on multi-Pentium machine?

7. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

8. Who knows ? PGCC vs Intel MMX ?

9. NT Web Server : Seeking beta testers for Windows 95, Windows NT Web Server

10. DDE to TCP/IP Comm Driver Avail,DDE2TCP, Custom Drivers Avail

11. DDE to TCP/IP Comm. Driver Avail.,DDE2TCP,Sample Prog Avail,Custom Drivers Too!

12. DDE to TCP/IP Comm Driver Avail,DDE2TCP,Sample Prog Avail,Custom Drivers Too.

13. DDE to TCP/IP Comm Driver Avail,DDE2TCP,Sample Prog Avail,Custom Drivers Too!