where to find details on NIC driver API changes in specific kernel versions

where to find details on NIC driver API changes in specific kernel versions

Post by Trashguar » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 03:48:53

Hello, everybody,

for a newly written NIC driver's backward compatibility I need to know
in which kernel version which parts of the API changed so I can #define
the changes. Currently I'm guessing but a list of the API changes mapped
to kernel versions would be of great help.

Thank you in advance!

--

Post by el.. » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 05:19:19

>for a newly written NIC driver's backward compatibility I need to know
>in which kernel version which parts of the API changed so I can #define
>the changes. Currently I'm guessing but a list of the API changes mapped
>to kernel versions would be of great help.

These might help:

  http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/docs/porting-to-2.2.html
  http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/docs/porting-to-2.4.html

--
http://www.spinics.net/linux/

where to find details on NIC driver API changes in specific kernel versions

Post by Trashguar » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 11:38:45

So API changes only occur on new kernel numbers, i.e. always on 2.2.0 or
2.4.0?

--

Post by Kasper Dupon » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:01:02

> So API changes only occur on new kernel numbers, i.e. always on 2.2.0 or
> 2.4.0?

Most API changes happens within the odd releases. If you take 2.5.1 and
2.5.63 there are a large number of API differences. Within the ven
releases the API is kept fixed as much as possible. There has been API
changes between 2.4.0 and 2.4.20, because the old API lead to race
conditions, this means a few modules had to be changed. But usually a
module can be moved from 2.4.0 to 2.4.20 by simply recompiling. User
space applications it should always be possible to move forward within
the even releases and usually between versions. A userspace application
written for 2.4.0 should work on 2.4.20. A userspace application
written for 2.0.0 might even work on 2.6.0.

for(_=52;_;(_%5)||(_/=5),(_%5)&&(_-=2))putchar(_);

where to find details on NIC driver API changes in specific kernel versions

Post by ta.. » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:14:29

:>
:> So API changes only occur on new kernel numbers, i.e. always on 2.2.0 or
:> 2.4.0?

: Most API changes happens within the odd releases. If you take 2.5.1 and
: 2.5.63 there are a large number of API differences. Within the ven
: releases the API is kept fixed as much as possible. There has been API
: changes between 2.4.0 and 2.4.20, because the old API lead to race
: conditions, this means a few modules had to be changed. But usually a
: module can be moved from 2.4.0 to 2.4.20 by simply recompiling. User
: space applications it should always be possible to move forward within
: the even releases and usually between versions. A userspace application
: written for 2.4.0 should work on 2.4.20. A userspace application
: written for 2.0.0 might even work on 2.6.0.

There has certainly been API changes between 2.4.18 (if i remember well)
and 2.4.20 in the USB stack, since a driver i had for an USB modem
which compiled and worked under the former did not compile under the last one.
I needed to edit the source code to make it compile and work. This is
especially * in the middle of a stable series of kernels.

--

Michel TALON

where to find details on NIC driver API changes in specific kernel versions

Post by Trashguar » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 04:59:12

So the only solution (other than closely following kernel development)
is to try to compile the module for each kernel version and see when
exactly things stop working \ start working when tracing backwards?

--

1. Where to find hardware support info on specific kernel version?

Hello, everyone!
I was wondering where I can find info about what hardware is supported
(Manufacturer, device type, model number) by every linux version. I am
interested specifically in linux kernel version 2.4.2-2. I searched in
google and the newsgroups but didn't find anything listing this info.
Any links or places to look would be great help.
Thanks a lot,
Roumen.

2. question hooking sco to internet

3. Where I can find 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC driver for Solaris 9 SPARC version

4. urgent help on apache

5. Device driver changes for new Kernel versions...

6. Afterstep

7. Mulitple NIC and Limit users to specific NICs

8. Netscape 4.7 under Redhat

9. Where to find docs of Network/Socket Programming API of Linux Kernel 2.4.7?

10. unregistered changes to the user<->kernel API

11. 2.2 -> 2.3.99pre9 kernel API changes

12. Where to find the document about Kernel exported API ?

13. device specific detail of a network interface card