2.3.99-pre5 and umount problem

Post by Daniel Weisko » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi.  I recently upgraded from 2.2.14 to 2.3.99-pre5, and now when I
shutdown my system, my /home and /usr partitions don't umount cleanly
because init claims they're busy.  The result is a lengthy fsck when I
reboot.  I'm using SysVinit 2.76 and util-linux 2.10k.  Never had the
problem with the earlier kernels, and I upgraded everything that was
mentioned in the 2.3 Changes file.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
DAW

--
Daniel Weiskopf
Dept. of Philosophy / Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology Program

2.3.99-pre5 and umount problem

Post by jw » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

On 21 Apr 2000 13:28:00 GMT, Daniel Weiskopf

>Hi.  I recently upgraded from 2.2.14 to 2.3.99-pre5, and now when I
>shutdown my system, my /home and /usr partitions don't umount cleanly
>because init claims they're busy.  The result is a lengthy fsck when I
>reboot.  I'm using SysVinit 2.76 and util-linux 2.10k.  Never had the
>problem with the earlier kernels, and I upgraded everything that was
>mentioned in the 2.3 Changes file.  Any suggestions?

yep. subscribe to linux-kernel-digest if you diddle with the latest
pre-x kernels. Then you'll learn about those small errors soon, and get
nifty patches to solve them too :-)

Good luck,
Jurriaan

PS It's a relatively harmless bug, IIRC. My suse distro does an
automatic remount to ro and didn't need an fsck at the next boot....
--
Seed me, Seymour
        a random number generator meets the big green mother from outer space

1. Problem unmounting w/ 2.3.99-pre5

When rebooting my linux box, using the 2.3.99-pre3 kernel, my machine tends
to have a difficult time unmounting all the partitions, usually getting stuck
on /usr, but sometimes /var and /home.  I think I've traced this problem to
something in the shm code, since, when I recompiled a kernel which didn't
support shm, everything worked fine.  Of course, I would like to have shm
working if possible.  Any ideas?

Adam

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. linux on embedded controller

3. 2.3.99-pre5 problems

4. Hardware FAQs by mail

5. modem with 2.3.99-pre5

6. Does the 2940UW actually do UltraWide transfers?

7. ppp and 2.3.99-pre5

8. time settings: /etc/default/init and ntp in Germany

9. can't get ne2000 to work on kernel 2.3.99-pre5

10. How can I get work RARP under 2.3.99-pre5?

11. Promise Ultra66 board hangs Kernel boot sequence (2.3.99-pre5)

12. 2.3.99-pre5

13. ppp under 2.3.99-pre5