1. 1.1.81 kernel panic (swapper) causing superblock destruction
I get a 1.1.81 kernel panic every time I try to read from /dev/fd0 and write
to a hard disk drive at the same time. (i.e., "cp /dev/fd0 /tmp/coolfile")
And yet, if I just do something like "strings /dev/fd0" it reads the whole
disk and works fine, no panics.
The worst part is that pretty much every time I get one of these floppy-
induced panics, it always hits the swapper, and then the caches aren't
synced, and when I reboot, usually my superblock is totally screwed up.
(fsck refuses to help) Thus, I am forced to reinstall linux every time
this happens. (I have done it about 6 times today, in the course of
tracking down the bug)
Here's the text from one of the kernel panics. (copied down by hand,
so formatting may be different)
eax:00000246 ebx:0018f924 ecx:0000001a edx:001bbbd8
es:001050a0 edi:001a7064 ebp:0000091c esp:0018f924
ds:0018 es:0018 fs:0026 gs:002b si:0018
process swapper (pid:0, process nr:0, stackpage:0018e9a8)
Stack: 001909d4 001909d4 001909d4 001050a0 001a7064 0000091c 00000002 00110018
00000018 00730026 00000026 ffffffef 0010e273 00000010 00000246 0010ef15
00009e00 00000202 000003d5 001050a0 001a7064 0000091c ffffffda 0000002b
Call trace: 00110018 0010e273 0010ef15 0010dd5f
Code: 66 01 00 24 34 10 74 49 fb 0d 00 02
kfree of non-kmalloced mem: 001909a0 next: 00000000 order:0
task (swapper) unable to recover
kernel panic: Trying to free up swapper mem space
In swapper task - not syncing
Anyone know what's going on here?
Any insights appreciated; follow up or email me. Thanks,
P.S. I have 2 floppies. /dev/fd0 is 1440k, /dev/fd1 is 1200k. I have
three hard drives. 2 ide's, and one SCSI. (BusLogic controller)
P.P.S. I would give you my kernel symbol table/map, except that it was
destroyed in the last superblock slam. (Not sure if I could recreate the
kernel exactly or not to make an equivalent map)
2. Will a big Quantum Hard drive work?
3. /etc/utmp error - gcc 2.6.2 kernel 1.1.81 XF86 3.1
4. why use hard when you can use easy?
5. Kernel change summary 1.1.81 -> 1.1.82
6. shell interpretation
7. Kernel>1.1.81 Support EIDE???
8. Slackware installation question....
9. Mitsumi 2X CDROM and Kernel 1.1.81
10. /etc/utmp error - gcc 2.6.2 kernel 1.1.81 XF86 3.1
11. Kernel>1.1.81 Support EIDE???
12. kernel 1.1.81, cannot login?
13. Kernel>1.1.81 Support EIDE???