How to debug: new HD causes kernel to hang?

How to debug: new HD causes kernel to hang?

Post by Mark & Kathy Clayto » Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Whenever put a Quantum Fireball Plus KA 13.6gig HD into my
machine the kernel hangs on boot.  The kernel is 2.2.13,
Macmillian (Mandrake/Redhat) 6.5.  It hangs right after it
probes the controller hardware, but before it displys any
partition information.

I'd like to work through and debug the code, but I don't
know where to begin.  Can someone help get get me started?
Here's the hardware FWIW:

AMD K6-2 450
BioStar ATX Mother board model M5ALA
128 Megs RAM
2 Quantum HD:
  Master Sirocco 2.5MB
  Slave Fireball Plus KA 13.6gig
Memorex 40X IDE CD-ROM (Master on second cntrlr)
Phillips IDE CD-RW (Slave on second cntrlr)
Kingston EtheRx PCI ethernet card
Video: Riva TNT (PCI)
SoundBlaster 16 (ISA)
SIIG serial port (ISA)

Thanks,
Mark

1. New Install on New HD with an Old HD Copy question

I am relatively new to using Linux and had a question about copy files
from one HD to another.

Had a Redhat 7.1 install that was working fine until I got hit with
the Linux.Slapper.Worm.  So I decided to just buy a new harddrive and
install Redhat 8.0 on it.  Now, since I was doing some webhosting on
this system, I need to pull over the files from my old HD's
/home/httpd/html dir and put it on the new HD.  Problem is, during
bootup, it always installs the old HD even though it's been put second
on the IDE chain and is SLAVE to the new HD.  Anyone have a suggestion
to make the old HD available from the new HD Redhat install so I can
just copy those files over?

If I posted this in the wrong place, my apologies.

Thanks in advance.

2. DDNS - KEY and SIG entry

3. SONY CD-RW CRX145E driver

4. kernel debugging a hung process

5. New Apache question

6. 'ping -f' causes Tulip to hang (kernel 2.2.5)

7. Quick review of PC File Viewer for Solaris 2.6

8. ethertap causes kernel hang in 2.2.3

9. Need help with system hang (RH5.0/2.0.32) & tips about kernel debugging

10. Debugging a kernel hang

11. Help debugging Kernel hang during bootup..

12. Process hung on removed lm_sensors /proc entry, caused kernel oops (2.2.6-ac1)