PCI Driver development (Questions)

Post by Michael Neuff » Fri, 17 Nov 1995 04:00:00

:   I am looking at the feasibility of using linux as a development environment
: which utilizes a special purpose PCI board.
:   I am trying to scope out
: the complexity of developing a driver for a PCI board.  I am not a linux
: user (yet) so I am uncertain of the level of documentation on driver
: development which accompanies the OS.

There is not very much available on that topic. The best point to start
would be the Kernel Hackers Guide if you're looking for docs.

: Is there lots of driver source
: available to use as a reference?  PCI drivers in particular? Any ideas or
: pointers would be very appreciated.

Just get the kernle source and look for example at the drivers aic7xxx.c,
eata_dma.c and fdomain.c in linux/drivers/scsi

I hope that gives you some hints to start.

Mike

--------====### legal notice ###====-------------------------------------------
Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in
whole or in part.  License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft
for $499.  Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms.

1. PCI Driver development question

I am trying to write a PCI driver for a high
speed parallel I/O card for Linux.  I am running
in to a problem with reading from the PCI config
space.  No matter what I request from the user's
side I always get a 4K transfer block size.  Is
there a way to make my reads dynamic?  My writes
to the memory mapped I/O are dynamic in size, but
not my reads?

Suggestions, comments, adivce???

Pesh

2. Anybody tried NE2000 PCI PnP ethernet?

3. PCI Linux Driver Development Questions...

4. LILO version 22.5.1 released

5. Driver Development problem, MultiQ PCI board

6. HELP! Networking Problem with a server!

7. Driver Development for Linux, PCI MultiQ board problem

8. Veritas: How to make a rootdg with one slice instead of one disk

9. PCI driver development/upgrade - RedHat 7

10. PCI driver development on 2.5 (add_drv help)

11. Hardware For PCI Device Driver Development

12. Helpwanted :PCI device driver development

13. PCI driver development problem, please help me!