Stable 1.3.xx kernel?

Post by Joel Ka » Tue, 12 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I am currently using 1.3.14 on the server, can anybody suggest a better
>kernel for these machines.

        By definition, no 1.3.xx kernel is stable. Why can't you use
1.2.xx where xx is as high as possible? Alternatively, 1.3.10 through
about 1.3.23 were reported as _very_ unstable -- if you must use a 1.3
serial kernel, get 24 which was reported to be the stablest 1.3.xx so far
(25 seems to be about the same, but that's just from me running it on one
system).

--
Joel Katz                   Corporate Web Pages - http://WWW.*Plus.COM
Information on Objectivism, Atheism, the 8031/8051 Microcontrollers, Linux

Stable 1.3.xx kernel?

Post by Matthew Jarrett Lepp » Tue, 12 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I have a number of new P100 machines (plato MB) which I am trying to
use Linux with.  They all are equipped with Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI
cards with SCSI HDs and CDROMs.  In addition they have Intel EtherExpress
Pro/10 ISA ethernet cards.

Most of the machines that we use for general operations work fine,
but the machine that is set up as a PCNFS server occasionally hangs
without warning.  When it does crash, it seems to be able to sync the
disks, since I've never had any complaints from fsck when I reboot the
machine.  Unfortunately, the console has always been blanked when it
crashes, and it will not "wake up"; no error messages are written
to /var/adm/messages.  It always has to be power-cycled to revive it
(some idiot didn't put reset buttons on these machines!)

I am currently using 1.3.14 on the server, can anybody suggest a better
kernel for these machines.

--
Matthew Lepper

Stable 1.3.xx kernel?

Post by Jared Mau » Thu, 14 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>>I am currently using 1.3.14 on the server, can anybody suggest a better
>>kernel for these machines.

>    By definition, no 1.3.xx kernel is stable. Why can't you use
>1.2.xx where xx is as high as possible? Alternatively, 1.3.10 through
>about 1.3.23 were reported as _very_ unstable -- if you must use a 1.3
>serial kernel, get 24 which was reported to be the stablest 1.3.xx so far
>(25 seems to be about the same, but that's just from me running it on one
>system).

        I run probally the bussiest public access linux box on the net, and 1.3.21 worked
ROCK solid for a week before I needed to down the machine to move it to a different router.
it's great, I run 1.3.25 on my desk, and tested 1.3.26 today, and it just shitted all over
my system -- I'd say avoid it, but 1.3.25 and 1.3.21 are very good.

        - Jared

Stable 1.3.xx kernel?

Post by Wayne O. Cochra » Mon, 18 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I am using the aha 2940 scsi card and the intel etherexpress
network cards (now using kernel 1.3.27) --
you'll find any high bandwidth network access will
hang your kernel -- this is due to the etherexpress drivers!
--wayne

http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/~wcochran

1. S-Ware 3.0, compiling kernel 1.2.xx or 1.3.xx doesn't happen

I just purchased the Slackware 3.0 with ELF.  I installed most of the packages
on the disk including gcc(2.6.3) and g++.

If copy an 1.2.xx kernel from the kernel disk and setup the /usr/include links
and try to compile the kernel I get many undefined references.  So I make the
changes to /linux/arch/i386/Makefile as the README says to do.  Now if I try
to 'MAKE DEP' I get a:
        gcc installation error: cannot exec cpp
OK, so I set /usr/bin/cpp -> g++
        Now it completes the depend part with many warnings about not using
the link file as linking was not performed.  However when I try to compile it
says that it cannot execute cc1 and bombs out very soon.

If I try to compile a 1.3.xx kernel I just get a bunch of undefined refernce
error and it fails to compile.  What am I doing wrong?  I have looked at sever
README files and it looks like I did everything right.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne P Cuddy
Q.E.D. Systems Inc.

2. Group Access control - 100 groups

3. firewall kernel: martian source 196.xx.xx.xx from 165,146.xx.xx on dev eth0 ???

4. Looking for Unix-based outbound modem pool for DOS (INT14)

5. Stable 1.3.xx release?

6. Messages on the console??

7. Routing problem with kernel 1.3.xx

8. Official RedHat vs. non-offical...

9. No Network connections with 1.3.xx kernel

10. 1.3.xx kernel trouble

11. HELP - CDROM (acdu31a=0x340) not recognised in 1.3.xx kernels !

12. dosemu & kernel 1.3.xx

13. No network with 1.3.xx kernel