How to make HD spin down?

Post by s.. » Sun, 26 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Hi Folks,

>I got a tool from a friend, thats makes my hard disc spin down after a
>given time (it's for D*S). So I watched out for a similar one for Linux,
>cause i didn't know before, how silent my comp can be if it wants to. :-)
>I have D*S and Linux on different drives, so I always do not need both of
>them.

>Does anybody know a tool that will work for me?

I picked up a nifty little package called "scsi-idle-1.3.32" from the net
and it works well.  Sorry I don't remember where, but an archie search will
no doubt find it!       :-)

--

FREE ACCESS TO E-MAIL & NEWS - INFO on Environment, Science, Medicine,
   AIDS, Native (Indigenous) Issues and more.   We sell  ZyXEL  and

How to make HD spin down?

Post by Thiemo Gehr » Sun, 26 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hi Folks,

I got a tool from a friend, thats makes my hard disc spin down after a
given time (it's for D*S). So I watched out for a similar one for Linux,
cause i didn't know before, how silent my comp can be if it wants to. :-)
I have D*S and Linux on different drives, so I always do not need both of
them.

But I only was able to find hdparm. I know, this is a very powerful tool,
but I do not need that much power. I only need to spin down one of the
disks. Also I do not want to patch my kernel every time I install a new one.

The astounding thing is, that after using the tool whith D*S, it also
works with Linux. So no TSR/demon is needed, only re-initialising the drives
with other params.

Does anybody know a tool that will work for me?

Thank you very much,
                        Tim

--
*************** Die Wege der Bits sind unergruendlich... ***************
*                                                                      *

*                                                                      *
  Redistribution of this message is prohibited for: Microsoft Network,
     Compuserve, America Online, Telekom Online and Europe Online!

How to make HD spin down?

Post by Christoph Lamet » Sun, 26 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: I got a tool from a friend, thats makes my hard disc spin down after a
: given time (it's for D*S). So I watched out for a similar one for Linux,
: cause i didn't know before, how silent my comp can be if it wants to. :-)
: I have D*S and Linux on different drives, so I always do not need both of
: them.

: But I only was able to find hdparm. I know, this is a very powerful tool,
: but I do not need that much power. I only need to spin down one of the
: disks. Also I do not want to patch my kernel every time I install a new one.
hdparm can spin down your harddrive. You can select which. You do not need
a less powerful tool if the standard one does the job.

: Does anybody know a tool that will work for me?
Read the manpage for hdparm.

 Christoph Lameter            FTS Box 466, Pasadena, CA 91182
 Internet Administrator       Who is like Jesus... who is like God...?

How to make HD spin down?

Post by Carl Scho » Mon, 27 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: >Hi Folks,
: >
:
: I picked up a nifty little package called "scsi-idle-1.3.32" from the net
: and it works well.  Sorry I don't remember where, but an archie search will
: no doubt find it!       :-)
:

"hdparm" will do this for IDE drives that support a spindown timeout.
(Look for the "-S" switch).

Carl Schott

How to make HD spin down?

Post by Richard Jon » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: : >Hi Folks,
: : >
: : >I got a tool from a friend, thats makes my hard disc spin down after a
: : >given time (it's for D*S). So I watched out for a similar one for Linux,
: : >cause i didn't know before, how silent my comp can be if it wants to. :-)
: : >I have D*S and Linux on different drives, so I always do not need both of
: : >them.
: : >
: : >Does anybody know a tool that will work for me?

: "hdparm" will do this for IDE drives that support a spindown timeout.
: (Look for the "-S" switch).

Works great except for my root disk. I _think_ syslogd likes to write to a
file every so often, so negating the effects of the spindown! Anyone know
how to cure this?

Rich.

--
"The real tight interface is between the book and the reader - the world of
the book is plugged right into your brain, never mind the [virtual reality]

How to make HD spin down?

Post by Rogier Wol » Fri, 01 Dec 1995 04:00:00

[how do I make an HD spin down]

: : : >Does anybody know a tool that will work for me?

: : "hdparm" will do this for IDE drives that support a spindown timeout.
: : (Look for the "-S" switch).

: Works great except for my root disk. I _think_ syslogd likes to write to a
: file every so often, so negating the effects of the spindown! Anyone know
: how to cure this?

The system periodically writes some info back to disk to assure
that a sudden powerfail won't destroy too much work. Look in the
bdflush manual pages for information to change that.....

(I think I use "bdflush -5 3000 -6 12000" on my laptop.....)

                                        Roger.

--
 *** War doesn't determine who's right ****** War determines who's left. ***

 *** <a href="http://einstein.et.tudelft.nl/~wolff/">my own homepage</a> ***

How to make HD spin down?

Post by Mitch Dav » Sun, 03 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>: : >Hi Folks,
>: : >
>: : >I got a tool from a friend, thats makes my hard disc spin down after a
>: : >given time (it's for D*S). So I watched out for a similar one for Linux,
>: : >cause i didn't know before, how silent my comp can be if it wants to. :-)

>: "hdparm" will do this for IDE drives that support a spindown timeout.
>: (Look for the "-S" switch).

>Works great except for my root disk. I _think_ syslogd likes to write to a
>file every so often, so negating the effects of the spindown! Anyone know
>how to cure this?

On many computers, the BIOS can tell the hard disk to do this, as part
of the power-on initialisation.  I do such a trick on my laptop and it
works a treat.  The trick is to suspend the "update/bdflush"
processes.  In this way, old data sits in the RAM cache, and never gets
flushed to disk.  Hence, the disk never gets accessed (except of course
when you read something from it that has never been read before.. :-)

This more than doubles the life of my laptop battery.

**** BIG FAT WARNING TIME ****
Because new data is not written to the disk, if you lose battery power,
any work you do won't have been written to the disk.  It's not possible
to trash your filesystem (since nothing ever gets half-written), but
you will lose any work you've done.

To do this, log on as root, and use "ps -aux" to find the "bdflush" and
"update" processes and their process id's.  Then, send them signal 18
(SIGSTOP) using kill -SIGSTOP x y, where x and y are the process IDs.

When you want to save all your work to disk on a one-off basis, run the
"sync" command (as any user).  This will write the buffer cache to the
hard disk.

When you want to resume the write-every-30-secs-and-never-power-down-but
it's-safer-this-way mode, send signal 19 (SIGCONT) to the processes, ie
kill -SIGCONT x y.

I dunno.  This is just such an astoundingly useful trick for laptop
owners that I'm surprised it hasn't appeared in the Linux TIPS Howto.
Hmm.  Might just send this off then.....

Hope this has helped you.

Mitch.

How to make HD spin down?

Post by Kenneth E. Hark » Mon, 11 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> <snip>
> : >: : >I got a tool from a friend, thats makes my hard disc spin down
after a
> : >: : >given time (it's for D*S). So I watched out for a similar one
for Linux,

> speaking of this is there a way for a user program to tell if the harddisk
> is spinned down?  For my laptop I want to write a smart bdflush that gets
> woken up on the harddrive spin-up and will only flush then.
>                                                 -Dan

Well, I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're interested in, but
there's a small Linux utility called "diskdown" that interfaces with the
IDE drive interface and spins down the disk after a parameter-specified
period of inactivity.  I'm not sure if it's what you want - it only works
with IDE drives - but the source code is there, and maybe y'all can make
something out of it.

You can find it from the Linux Laptop Home Page
(http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/)

University of Texas at Austin
Department of the Computer Sciences               Amateur call: N1PVB
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124
Austin, TX 78712-1188 USA     http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/

How to make HD spin down?

<snip>

Post by Mark Lo » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Well, I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're interested in, but
>there's a small Linux utility called "diskdown" that interfaces with the

Use "hdparm -S" instead -- it cooperates with the ide driver.
--

For Linux IDE (big/many) help, see:  /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.ide
For latest Linux kernels: ftp.cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.[23]

How to make HD spin down?

Post by Tony Robins » Wed, 20 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> I do such a trick on my laptop and it
> works a treat.  The trick is to suspend the "update/bdflush"
> processes.  In this way, old data sits in the RAM cache, and never gets
> flushed to disk.  Hence, the disk never gets accessed (except of course
> when you read something from it that has never been read before.. :-)

> This more than doubles the life of my laptop battery.

Sounds interesting - but is there a better way to do this?  From a bit
of poking around /sbin/update is a symlink to /etc/bdflush which is
called from /etc/rc.d/rc.S.  Now update will tell me what it accepts as
arguemnts:

linux$ /sbin/update -h
usage: /sbin/update [-012345678] [-d] [-s sync-delay] [-f flush-delay]
  -0  Max fraction of LRU list to examine for dirty blocks
  -1  Max number of dirty blocks to write each time bdflush activated
  -2  Num of clean buffers to be loaded onto free list by refill_freelist
  -3  Dirty block threshold for activating bdflush in refill_freelist
  -4  Percentage of cache to scan for free clusters
  -5  Time for data buffers to age before flushing
  -6  Time for non-data (dir, bitmap, etc) buffers to age before flushing
  -7  Time buffer cache load average constant
  -8  LAV ratio (used to determine threshold for buffer fratricide)
  -d  Display kernel parameters
  -f  Call flush this often (in seconds)
  -h  Give this help
  -s  If acting as update then call sync this often (in seconds)

Now if only I knew a good set of paramters for this perhaps it is
possible to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.S and automatically have a more battery
friendly system?

Tony Robinson

1. Spin down of SCSI HD

Hi Folks,

is there a possibility to do an automatic spin down of an HD on
AHA-2940UW with 2GB SCSI-II DISK? I am looking for this for the
disk with the root partition on and for an extra other disc (also SCSI)

Regards,
  Rudi

2. Can't use Wacom driver in RH 6.1

3. Problem w/ SCSI HD spinning down..

4. UUCP'ing through a NetBlazer

5. How to spin down HD's?

6. Static IP in a dhcp environment

7. HD not spinning down

8. HELP!!! RAID partition missing after a rebuild

9. HD spins down from time to time

10. Spinning down HD (root?).

11. Spin down my SCSI HD..

12. Spinning down HD

13. Q: endless loop on hd spin down (slack'96)