SMC EtherPower Installation?

Post by Jeffrey W. Marris » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

  My SMC EtherPower PCI card comes up in the pci file under proc/dev, but
I am seemingly unable to configure it.... any suggestions or places I can
look would be greatly appreciated... thanx

Post by Michael L. Blu » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>   My SMC EtherPower PCI card comes up in the pci file under proc/dev, but
> I am seemingly unable to configure it.... any suggestions or places I can
> look would be greatly appreciated... thanx

The card uses the tulip.c driver for the DEC 21040 chips and not the SMC drivers.

I was able to get mine going using the driver that was supplied with the kernel
source, but the configuration stuff for this driver is commented out in the the 1.2.x
and 1.3.x kernels.

        for 1.2.13:

        Edit /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/Config.in  and remove the
        comment from the line for CONFIG_DEC_ELCP.

        Do a make config and answer yes to:
        EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers?
        and:
        DEC 21040 PCI support?

        For 1.3.x
        the configuration questions are now in /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/Config.in
        and additionally you have to answer yes to:
        Do you want to be offered ALPHA test drivers?

Clearly this driver is not ready for release or it wouldn't be commented out, but
so far it has worked for me.  I do occasionally get some network related console
messages though.

Michael L. Blum
Department of Biological Chemistry              Tel: (617) 432-3919
  and Molecular Pharmacology                    Fax: (617) 432-4360

240 Longwood Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
USA

1. SMC EtherPower Installation?

  I cannot seem to configure slackware 3.0 to work with my driver.

 It comes up in the proc/dev pci file, but how do I get the system to
recognise it as the network adapter?

  I am running a Pentium 133, Aha2940 Scsi, 4.3 Gig SCSI-III drive,
everything works good, even the Diamond Stealth 64 card.... help???

2. F/T or P/T linux Guru needed to hire !

3. Help smc Etherpower 9332 solartis installation

4. Problems with Lyrix...

5. Help: Net installation bootdisk for 2940UW and SMC etherpower PCI card

6. weird error with 'scp' command in OpenBSD 2.9

7. SMC-EtherPower + Linux Installation?

8. Dynamic Linking of Fortran & C

9. SMC EtherPower 10/100 installation (tulip of de4x5)?

10. SMC EtherPower (PCI)

11. 2 SMC Etherpower 10/100 cards

12. Linux Bootdisk for AHA2940 and SMC EtherPower (PCI)

13. Help on SMC EtherPower 10/100