Kernel panic problem

Post by Ronald Daya » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I am having a problem with booting the latest version of the kernel
(2.2.6). A brief backgrounder:

I am/was running RedHat 5.2 with the latest fixes/patches.  After
downloading and updating the system in preparation for upgrading the
kernel, I proceeded to build the kernel and install the image along with

the System.map file in the /boot directory.  I did a mkinitrd and
everything looked fine at that point.  After running lilo -v to verify
that lilo executed properly, I rebooted the machine.  During the boot up

process I got a kernel panic message.  It appears that the system could
not find the root partition.

I tried to boot off of my resucue disk but I received a 0x10 error.  I
have the following configuration:
    400 Mhz Pentium II processor (Asus P2B-F motherboard)
    512 MB RAM
    Adaptec 2940UW SCSI adapter
    3 4GB Seagate Barracuda HDs
    1 8GB Seagate Barracuda HD
    Matrox G200 Video Card (8MB RAM)
    NEC SCSI CD Rom
    Hitachi 21" Monitor
    Intel EtherExpress/Pro NIC

Disks 0 and 2 have WinNT.  Disks 1 and 3 have Linux.  I am using System
Commander to dual boot the system.

It looks like the kernel is not installing the adaptec driver at boot up

time.  If this is the case how do I fix this?  Also, I have compiled the

SCSI adapter as a loadable module.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation?  If so, how did you resolve
it?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ron

Kernel panic problem

Post by Konrad Mieredorf » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> I am having a problem with booting the latest version of the kernel
> (2.2.6). A brief backgrounder:

> I am/was running RedHat 5.2 with the latest fixes/patches.  After
> downloading and updating the system in preparation for upgrading the
> kernel, I proceeded to build the kernel and install the image along with

> the System.map file in the /boot directory.  I did a mkinitrd and
> everything looked fine at that point.  After running lilo -v to verify
> that lilo executed properly, I rebooted the machine.  During the boot up

> process I got a kernel panic message.  It appears that the system could
> not find the root partition.

> I tried to boot off of my resucue disk but I received a 0x10 error.  I
> have the following configuration:
>     400 Mhz Pentium II processor (Asus P2B-F motherboard)
>     512 MB RAM
>     Adaptec 2940UW SCSI adapter
>     3 4GB Seagate Barracuda HDs
>     1 8GB Seagate Barracuda HD
>     Matrox G200 Video Card (8MB RAM)
>     NEC SCSI CD Rom
>     Hitachi 21" Monitor
>     Intel EtherExpress/Pro NIC

> Disks 0 and 2 have WinNT.  Disks 1 and 3 have Linux.  I am using System
> Commander to dual boot the system.

> It looks like the kernel is not installing the adaptec driver at boot up

> time.  If this is the case how do I fix this?  Also, I have compiled the

> SCSI adapter as a loadable module.

> Has anyone experienced a similar situation?  If so, how did you resolve
> it?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks in advance,

> Ron

Did you compile the adaptec driver into the kernel or as a module?
(Module won't work as it is on your SCSI HDD which the kernel cannot
access without the module :-))

Kernel panic problem

Post by Ronald Daya » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I believe I did compile it as a module.  I did so after trying to do a
mkinitrd the system complained it could not find the adaptec module.

Ron

> > Hi all,

> > I am having a problem with booting the latest version of the kernel
> > (2.2.6). A brief backgrounder:

> > I am/was running RedHat 5.2 with the latest fixes/patches.  After
> > downloading and updating the system in preparation for upgrading the
> > kernel, I proceeded to build the kernel and install the image along with

> > the System.map file in the /boot directory.  I did a mkinitrd and
> > everything looked fine at that point.  After running lilo -v to verify
> > that lilo executed properly, I rebooted the machine.  During the boot up

> > process I got a kernel panic message.  It appears that the system could
> > not find the root partition.

> > I tried to boot off of my resucue disk but I received a 0x10 error.  I
> > have the following configuration:
> >     400 Mhz Pentium II processor (Asus P2B-F motherboard)
> >     512 MB RAM
> >     Adaptec 2940UW SCSI adapter
> >     3 4GB Seagate Barracuda HDs
> >     1 8GB Seagate Barracuda HD
> >     Matrox G200 Video Card (8MB RAM)
> >     NEC SCSI CD Rom
> >     Hitachi 21" Monitor
> >     Intel EtherExpress/Pro NIC

> > Disks 0 and 2 have WinNT.  Disks 1 and 3 have Linux.  I am using System
> > Commander to dual boot the system.

> > It looks like the kernel is not installing the adaptec driver at boot up

> > time.  If this is the case how do I fix this?  Also, I have compiled the

> > SCSI adapter as a loadable module.

> > Has anyone experienced a similar situation?  If so, how did you resolve
> > it?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

> > Thanks in advance,

> > Ron

> Did you compile the adaptec driver into the kernel or as a module?
> (Module won't work as it is on your SCSI HDD which the kernel cannot
> access without the module :-))

Kernel panic problem

Post by Igor Zlatkovi » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

You probably compiled not only the aic7xxx driver as a module, but also the
scsi support and /or scsi disk support. In this case, you need additional
modules in your initrd image.

Try starting the /sbin/mkinitrd script with the "--needs-scsi-modules"
parameter. This way, you will have all required modules in the initrd
image.

     O       Cheers,
  ______O___
  \________/   Igor Zlatkovic

    \ O  /
     \  /
      \/       Student at the
      ||       University of Applied Sciences
   ___||___    Frankfurt, Germany, EU.

1. intermittent kernel panic problem on boot

About 5% of the time I reboot my linux system, I get:

    kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 8:15

I am running RH5.1 on a Pentium Pro 200 with an Adaptec AHA-294x SCSI
adaptor.

Has anyone else seen this?

Jim Yonan

2. problem with ati rage 128 and linux 6.1

3. FlashPoint and Kernel panic -- problem

4. Spanish Accented Characters in Netscape?

5. Kernel panic problem on Ultra1

6. ps with complete filenames?

7. SCSI Disk Kernel Panic Problem

8. Using lilo or grub to boot Solaris

9. kernel panic problem. help me

10. Kernel panic problem

11. kernel panic problem

12. Kernel panic problem in 2.4.7

13. Help needed!!! Kernel panic Problem!!!