Running LKM on Familiar Linux iPAQ

Post by Farsh » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 00:57:50

Hallo!

Below you can find a discussion on a problem I have encountered in
writing loadable kernel modules for Familiar Linux on iPAQ.
Please let me know if you have any clues! Thanks very much -

Farshad

---
Hello Mohan,

Now I've begun working on porting LKM stuff on iPAQ. I've encountered
exactly to your problem!
- I can load and remove an LKM that is actually doing nothing without
any problem by using "-f" option.
- I can load and remove an LKM that uses "printk" successfully but I
don't know where it writes the printk stuff as there is no message log
files. (?)
- When I try to load an LKM that prints a text message on the terminal
using struct tty_driver write function, it prints a segmentation fault
message (where is the core dump then?) and lsmod show it in
initializing state. The only way to clear it is pocket pc reboot.
I'm not sure what's wrong since I examined arm-linux kernel source
and everything seems okay for my program. On the other hand since you
have the same problem in replacing sys call fuction, I think that the
problem is something related to Linux configuration on arm - maybe
some extra compiling options are needed (?).
Please let me know if you make any progress in fixing the problem or
if you have any clues.

Farshad

Hi Farshad,
I've been busy with some other stuff and haven't really made too
much progress in the LKM stuff. Do let me know if you figure out whats
going wrong. I'll get back to working on that at the end of the month.

Cheers
=mohan

On

Hello,

I wonder if you could solve that problem with LKM. I need to transfer
an
LKM from x86 to ARM although I have not done it yet!

thanks,
Farshad

---
Hi,
I've written a small LKM for manipulating system calls. The LKM
runs fine on x86 based machines. When I try to insmod it on my arm
based
iPaq, I get the following errors :
1. Kernel Version Mismatch :
Since the kernels are both 2.4.3 variants .. I guess it
should be ok if I use the -f option.
2. When I use the -f option, I get a segmentation fault message.
Also when I do a lsmod this is what the listing for this module is :
Module Size Used by
syscall 752 752 (initializing)

I'm not able to use rmmod to remove module after this stage.

The init_module() procedure simply retrieves sys call function
pointers from the sys_call_table.

Any help appreciated :)

-mohan

1. running LKM on Familiar LInux iPAQ

Hello!

[...]

2. HELP Getting this error--> [crit] (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to port 80

3. Bluez on familiar arm-linux (ipaq 3870), cannot get class name and device name

4. Screen Saver for RH5.0?

5. Familiar & IPAQ: Which DB?

6. ESS688?

7. X Server for Ipaq whit familiar distribution !

8. Q: IT Audit Automation Software?

9. Anyone know if an iPaq will run FreeBSD?

10. Bluez on a iPaq 3850 with the Bluetooth sleeve under Linux

11. what's the best embeded linux for iPaq?

12. Compaq Ipaq and linux

13. Linux RedHat eCos per Compaq iPAQ