Compile module on custom kernel

Post by sombr » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 14:09:41

> Hi all

> I recently compiled a module on my custom kernel 2.4.8-34.1bry using the
> source code provided with 2.4.8-34.1mdk. It compiles fine and installs
> to /lib/modules/linux-2.4.8-34.1bry/ but when I try to insert it with
> insmod it rejects it saying that

> there was a kernel-module version mismatch, the module was compiled for
> 2.4.8-34.1mdk not the running kernel 2.4.8-34.1bry.

> "uname" identifies the kernel info as 2.4.8-34.1bry and ismod -f does
> not help.

> Any ideas where the compilation process is picking up the "mdk"?  BTW: I
> do have 2.4.8-34.1mdk installed as a backup kernel.

> Thanks for any help
> Bryce

Did you try make dep and make modules_install after doing make bzImage?
Indeed, by doing this you will overwrite your original 2.4.8-mdk kernel
modules, and the module conflicts will get lost.
--
"Fair is foul, and foul is fair"
    W. Shakespeare, Macbeth I, I

1. Compile time flags to custom module.

I have a culstom module under the apache source tree.  Works fine,
installs, runs, life is good.

I like full warnings in my code.  I'm a really bad typist.  But I really
don't want to enable warnings for the whole server (I get a million of
'em).  what's the best way to get compile flags in my build?  The best I
saw would be to hack the Configure script to put more flag vars in, then
add them to my Makefile.tmpl.  That's a pain, cause I have to remember
to patch Configure every time I rebuild from scratch.  anyone with any
ideas?
Richard Homolka        Zedo inc.                       (415) 348-1975

2. Iomega jaz jet pci scsi card

3. compiling mod perl but keeping custom static modules

4. sis630 + dri

5. Redhat 5.1 - ANSWERS - compile kernel, modules, /lib/modules/preferred

6. URL with userid and passwort?

7. Compiling the kernel: to module or not to module?

8. Tseng ET-3000 on XFree86 (slink) problems

9. Can't use loadable modules after custom kernel installed?

10. problem loading aic7xxx module with custom kernel

11. Custom Kernel: depmod - unresolved symbol(s) in multiple modules

12. Custom Kernel: depmod - unresolved symbol(s) in multiple modules - Could somebody shoot me?

13. Compiling 2.4.2 kernel on RH7 with compiled modules