Problems with linux memory managment !?

Post by Martin Westph » Wed, 04 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hello, we have a strange problem:

Using a linux sytem with kernel version 1.99.4 we are running a big
application which allocates a lot memory on the heap and frees it and so
on. Over all the program takes about 30 Mbyte of RAM.

Using a system with kernel version 2.0.29 the same applications uses
about 53 MByte. The memory management system changed and is now much
more faster ! Thats great ... but the growing heap is little problem for
us !

There are only minor memory leaks. No leaks which explain the difference
of about 20 MByte using the two systems.

On WIndows NT we solved this problem using _heapshrink which frees all
unused memory back to the system.

If you have any ideas please mail to

Thanks in advance !
Martin

1. Problems with linux memory managment !?

Hello, we have a strange problem:

Using a linux sytem with kernel version 1.99.4 we are running a big
application which allocates a lot memory on the heap and frees it and so
on. Over all the program takes about 30 Mbyte of RAM.

Using a system with kernel version 2.0.29 the same applications uses
about 53 MByte. The memory management system changed and is now much
more faster ! Thats great ... but the growing heap is little problem for
us !

There are only minor memory leaks. No leaks which explain the difference
of about 20 MByte using the two systems.

On WIndows NT we solved this problem using _heapshrink which frees all
unused memory back to the system.

If you have any ideas please mail to

Thanks in advance !
Martin

2. New or Revised TAs on websco, 950930

3. Questions on Linux Memory Managment

4. route to isp w/dhcpcd

5. Memory Managment and Linux

6. reduce the file size

7. Memory managment (buffer/cache)

8. Job Opportunities at DISA in INFOSEC (DC Metro area)

9. Apache memory managment with connection pool

10. Memory managment

11. memory managment in Unix

12. Simple Memory Managment Protocol

13. about memory managment