David Hinds ,APA 1480 PCMCIA Support in kernel 2.4.4 Question?

David Hinds ,APA 1480 PCMCIA Support in kernel 2.4.4 Question?

Post by E-mu » Sat, 12 May 2001 07:36:47

WHat happend to the choice for APA 1480 in kernel 2.4.4.  Is it now a built
in driver to PCMCIA(y) or (m).

Anyhow when I boot up kernel 2.4.4, with the AHA 1480 Adaptec Slim SCSI the
kernel goes through some weird error.  Some kinda loop after loop during the
initiation of the PCMCIA device.  Then it ends up with a dump stack at the
end.

I was unable to capture all the errors , since the the file system nor hard
drive ever gets mounted.

And I have contacted the maintainter for Firewire support "Andreas Bombe "
and he said gave me a web site to check out the "CVS".  He said ther is some
support for PCMCIA Firewire support since its OCHI.  Along with sbp-2.
Anyhow doesn't this involve you to since this is cardbus.  In other words
will there be some kinda low level or whatever driver to drive this PCMCIA
card then, take off from there as far as "Andreas Bombe "  , working on the
rest of the drivers.

David Hinds ,APA 1480 PCMCIA Support in kernel 2.4.4 Question?

Post by BrentRBria » Wed, 16 May 2001 11:54:54

I had some weirdness introduced by the 2.4 kernel with PCMCIA.

My laptop assigned IRQ12 to mouse and IRQ15 to PCMCIA, but 2.4 kernel
tryed to push PCMCIA onto IRQ12, hung the system whenever the mouse
was touched.

Cure was to edit kernel source pci-irq.c in arch/i386/kernel and take
penalty off IRQ15 and place a penalty on IRQ12.  Rebuild the kernel and
now PCMCIA is correctly placed on IRQ15 (no choice, bios does it) and
mouse on IRQ12 (ps/2 pad).

There is a kernel parm that also allows "irq flags" to be set.

5.2, 6.1 and 7.0 were sane about this, 7.1 RH (2.4) was a problem.

> WHat happend to the choice for APA 1480 in kernel 2.4.4.  Is it now a
> built in driver to PCMCIA(y) or (m).

> Anyhow when I boot up kernel 2.4.4, with the AHA 1480 Adaptec Slim SCSI
> the kernel goes through some weird error.  Some kinda loop after loop
> during the initiation of the PCMCIA device.  Then it ends up with a dump
> stack at the end.

> I was unable to capture all the errors , since the the file system nor
> hard drive ever gets mounted.

> And I have contacted the maintainter for Firewire support "Andreas Bombe
> " and he said gave me a web site to check out the "CVS".  He said ther
> is some support for PCMCIA Firewire support since its OCHI.  Along with
> sbp-2. Anyhow doesn't this involve you to since this is cardbus.  In
> other words will there be some kinda low level or whatever driver to
> drive this PCMCIA card then, take off from there as far as "Andreas
> Bombe "  , working on the rest of the drivers.

1. Missing Include File in David Hinds' PCMCIA Package?

I'm trying to use David Hinds' pcmcia cardservice package, but
the file cs.c tries to #include a file named cisreg.h that is not
anywhere in my 1.1.23 source tree.  He said the package worked with
1.1.20, I believe, so I checked kernel patches 21 to 23 to see
whether they deleted the file, but they did not.

Commenting out the #include allows make dep to complete but leaves
three undefined symbols when cs.c gets compiled:
COR_CONFIG_IO
COR_LEVEL_REQ
COR_MEMIO

I checked and found that neither COR_ nor _MEMIO appear in any
other file (the double checking in case there was a spelling
error).  Presumably they are all in the missing cisreg.h file,
possibly along with other things I really need.

Does anyone know where I can get cisreg.h, or at least values for
these symbols?  Or is this a sign that something more serious is
wrong?  Where can I go from here?

I note also that the cardservice package came with a 14-diff
patch-file.  The first 9 diffs were usable, but diffs 10 to 14
either were already applied to my 1.1.23 kernel sources or were
otherwise inapplicable.  (That makes some sense, since I was
3 kernel patches ahead, but trying to back out kernel patches
23, 22, and 21 to get a patchlevel 20 source tree that all the
cardservice patches could be applied to did not go well either.)
This paragraph is included only in the hope that it might give
someone more knowledgeable a clue; I can see no direct relation to
my problem, but I'm a beginner.

If you can possibly respond quickly by e-mail, I'd really
appreciate it, because I'd like to have at least the Megahertz
modem running before a trip this Friday.  Thanks a lot!

Regards,
 - Irving
--

 Happy Man Corp.  4410 SW Pt. Robinson Rd., Vashon, WA  98070-7399
 In SOLID VALUE, we show intelligent investors under-priced stocks

2. X Windows HELP !!

3. David Hinds' PCMCIA Package

4. Nvidia drivers and power mgmt ( APM)

5. Access protecting stack segment under Linux?

6. Missing Include File in David Hinds' PCMCIA Package?

7. Multi line grep using sed

8. Kernel 2.4.4 and Adaptec 1480 Slim SCSI Desperate HELP Please. David Hinds?

9. Adaptec 1480 or 1460 pcmcia scsi

10. [Fwd: PCMCIA SCSI : Adaptec 1480 UltraSCSI ?]

11. Adaptec SlimSCSI 1480 PCMCIA

12. PCMCIA SCSI : Adaptec 1480 UltraSCSI ?